Wednesday 19 May 2021

Colin, the Painters and No Blotches

 


As requested here is an update on Colin.

He almost took another tumble the other day, so I decided to re-pot him into a much larger and heaver pot.  Obviously here at the flat I don't have any plant pots, and as there's no more raiding the polytunnel every time I need something for a houseplant I carefully removed some almost hibernating Snowdrops into a plastic pot where they can await their transplanting into our new garden, and gave Colin the nice heavy terracotta pot that they had been in.  He seems to have settled in well to life in my kitchen with his new friends.


With Alan driving I managed to get to the annexe last night to see how the painter had gotten on.  The whole place is painted now with a matt finish on the ceilings and an acrylic on the walls for longevity.  They had left everywhere nice and neat with just a little collection of pots by the door ready to be picked up by the boss who is wallpapering the bedroom wall himself one day this week.

I dreamt the other night that the wallpaper had shredded as they tried to put it up and they presented me with a bucket of wallpaper coloured papier mache ... fingers crossed this doesn't come to pass 😄


Alan had tried out the Linseed Oil on one of the doors, and it looks beautiful.  He did the edges of both doors before they were hung and then carried on to do the whole of the bathroom door.  


I will do the edges of the bathroom door again as it will be in a steamy environment and then finish off the bedroom door once my back is a bit less painful, but in the meantime I can admire them now that they are in situ.


This is the now whiter than white bedroom, and do you notice  something missing from all these photos?  Well I've been photographing white things over and over to check it out but my new to me camera does not have the blotches my old one had stuck on the lens.


I have held off for years buying a new camera, I liked mine as it was just a simple point and shoot type with settings that I rarely changed and it really did the job, was nice and small and light to carry out for days away and well it was just a good camera ... apart from the blotches it developed a few years ago.  Which seemingly are a known fault with this model.

Then the other day after photographing white walls with their dark spots and realising that I was sick of explaining, mostly here on the blog, that the blotches were the cameras fault and not on the wall or door etc I decided to bite the bullet and see about getting myself a new camera.  I looked for a new similar model and the cost ... well WOW!!  I might be splashing the cash on my new home but over £400 for a little camera seemed a bit steep.  Then I decided to look on Amazon for my exact model and found a couple for sale secondhand.  One day and £99 later and I have exactly what I needed, and I will hang on to my old one for spares.  Apart from not having the blotches it makes me happy that it's one less thing going to landfill and I am making good use of something that has been reconditioned for reuse.


Sue xx



35 comments:

  1. Love the combination of cool calm white, with your lovely warm wooden doors. Your sideboard will make a perfect focal point.
    Sorry to hear your back is still giving you trouble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all starting to come together at last, it seems to have taken an age.

      Delete
  2. The doors are lovely. It's amazing what bargains are to be had, if we take the time and trouble to search them out. I never pay full price for anything if I can help it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I thought to look on Amazon at the used things available, and not just purchase a brand new camera.

      Delete
  3. Your new place is certainly coming along well - and congrats on the new camera!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is now isn't it :-)

      It's nice to have something 'new' and not have to learn how to use it, I just inserted my own memory card and away I went.

      Delete
  4. Just got home after a lovely dog walk and Cobblers visit. What a super place you will have in such a pleasant town! Rest up , if you can, with your back before you start going too busy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to getting back to Cobblers when I can sit still long enough to wait for and then to eat my order. At the moment I'm sitting, standing, leaning over and generally just trying to keep my back from not hurting me too much.

      We did eat in the outside seating area the other week and it was nice to have a veggie sausage butty again with one of their lovely coffees, and of course the dogs made friends with the little Westie at the next table. They are a very sociable pair our two and enjoy eating out as much as we do.

      Delete
  5. The door looks really nice and the white is white and clean and new.
    Back pain is such a nuisance when you know what you want to do , and the pain won't allow it.
    Colin is getting good care from you . He may be the pain in your back and that is why the former owner left his tippy self.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're right I'll be showing him the door!!

      I've just had to prop him up with a pencil ... he's determined to die, perhaps I'm prolonging his agony :-(

      Delete
  6. Certainly looking bright and light, the perfect canvas for your things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it will look brilliant once I can add in all my colourful books and pictures.

      Delete
  7. Your back is telling you to let others do the work of fixing up your place and moving your stuff in! Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like this take on your back hurting. :) Good thinking Ellen D.

      Delete
    2. Well my back can stop bloody well telling me ... lol ;-)

      They are going to do it anyway!!

      Delete
    3. My back hurts when I get too tense, I have to consciously sit and relax my body .

      Delete
  8. I love the beautiful tone the oil gives your doors. Colin looks very happy now that he has room to wiggle his toes! I hope your back gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has brought out the simple beauty of the oak hasn't it. Colin barely has any toes ... which is most likely why he keeps toppling over :-)

      Delete
  9. Yikes that your back is still giving you problems! Sorry to hear it. It looks like everything is coming along very nicely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the doctor warned me this would take some getting over ... unfortunately he was right :-(

      Delete
  10. Sorry to hear your back is still bothering you. Back pain is so debilitating. Your cactus in the clay pot should do very well. They do require clay and weight, otherwise, as they grow they tip over easily. I also placed stones in the top of the pot to add more stability. The doors look great oiled. Like you, I prefer a point and shoot camera. Your new camera sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stones are a good idea, they might help him to stay upright. I will have to try and look for some outside ... although bending down to pick them up might be a bit problematic at the moment.

      A simple camera is all I need, and some of my shots are as good as if not better than my brothers who is an expert in most things photographic.

      Delete
  11. Colin looks very healthy! What a bonny cactus he is! The Linseed-treated doors look beautiful. Sorry to hear you have a bad back. Hello, by the way! I came to visit from Ang's blog as I was intrigued to see your comment about all the animals and visitors recognising your house! I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kezzie, nice to see you here :-)

      He's a problematic pain in the arse to be honest, he's currently propped up with a pencil as he tried to topple again. Yes, our last house a smallholding at the bottom of a Welsh hillside was so recognisable we had frequent bloggy visitors, which was very nice.

      Delete
  12. I'm so sorry about your back, I hope it heals quickly. Like me, you're a doer and I know how fristrated you must feel not being able to get stuff done.
    Colin looks very well indeed and Alan's done an amazing job with those lovely doors. Great find with the camera! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The doctor warned me it could take weeks or even months and I poo poo'd the idea, looks like he might have been right :-(

      Delete
    2. I had a similar back problem, many years ago, it still recurs occasionally. After trying physios, 2 osteopaths, yoga, alexander technique and surgical intervention, I eventually saw a different osteopath, who gave me an elastic corset. He told me ONLY to use it if doing something that I really couldn't do without it, like going out to dinner and sitting all evening, going to a concert, longer walks and eventually even gardening.! It was finally the way out of the cycle of pain, as it gave the locked muscles a chance to relax. I still use it occasionally. Might be worth a try?

      Delete
  13. The doors are looking beautiful. I had to smile about your wallpaper shredding dream as its the sort of thing that pops into my dreams when I'm stressed!
    Colin has really fallen on his feet with you to look after him now 😁 I do hope your back pain eases soon. Pain is not nice x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pain is a constant, except for about half an hour after taking my tablets when I get a little reprieve, oh and a glass of wine in the evening helps me a little .... well that's my excuse!!

      Delete
  14. Moving house with living things, whether it be pups or plants, always adds an extra layer of complication. I hope Colin appreciates all the care!

    The Panasonic Lumix is a superb camera, over the last decade I have had several (not because they broke, but because I was upgrading to a newer/bigger/better version).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was the neglect he suffered after being left behind when the last owner moved out of the annexe months and months ago. It didn't help that I thought he was a plastic cactus at first (he didn't look real at all) and I didn't jump to his rescue until we had owned he property for a month. Then he got a drink of old stale water from the U-bend of the sink that was being taken out as we had all the water switched off. Poor Colin ... no wonder he is trying to commit suicide on a weekly basis.

      Delete
  15. The doors look wonderful against the white of the walls. Good job Alan.

    Colin seems to be doing well in his new pot.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The doors do look good at the moment don't they, the only bit of warmth and wood in a very white space. There should be some more additions over the weekend now that the decorating is all finished. I won't be able to do much, but I can pass screws etc ;-)

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.