Wednesday 5 May 2021

Kitchen Progress ... and a Sneak Peek


This is my kitchen as it is right now.

 Dave our brilliant handyman did the final jobs in there yesterday, he took off the tiles and then carefully removed the old cupboard carcass that was still around the boiler.  

The guy that bought the units off me didn't want to risk taking the larder style cupboard that the boiler and consumer unit were in apart as the central heating room thermostat had been attached to the outside of the cupboard, and anyway the shelves and back of the cupboard had been hacked about so much to go around the pipes it wasn't in very good condition at all.


It seemed like it was such a good kitchen at first didn't it, but behind closed doors this six year old kitchen had taken somewhat of a battering and I am pleased that it's all gone now.


Now we are all clear and ready for the decorators, who are moving in armed with brushes and rollers on Monday of next week.  Everything in the annexe will be given a fresh coat of white paint, silk on the walls, matt on the ceilings and satin wood paint on all the woodwork.  It's going to be all sparkly white and fresh as a daisy.  Just in time for me to sit in it and dream of my new kitchen which has just been finalised with the kitchen designer.

We have taken the design this way and that, complicated things and then took them right back to basics.  It is a small space and no matter what I do there will not be much storage space, although with the new and finalised design I will have a decent amount of worktop space for baking and cooking.

Would you like a sneak peek ...








... would you?






This is a computer generated image of the kitchen.

And at last I have all the plans, measurements and quotes filed away, and now this morning it is all being ordered.  Although it's hard to tell from these images the cupboard doors are all a nice muted Sage Green and the worktop ... which is also being used as a splashback ... is a pale oak effect.


Looking at it from the other angle.

The Smeg fridge-freezer will now sit at the righthand side as you stand in front of the kitchen, putting it at the left as was the original plan, lost me over 10cm of kitchen space due to the deep doors needing space to open fully so you can slide out the drawers and shelves.  This complete redesign has given me more worktop space and room for a set of three drawers.

My Welsh Bread and Cheese Cupboard more commonly known by us as the Jam Cupboard, will now be on the opposite wall next to a radiator cover which will have a small curved table top on it, ideal for a morning coffee or an hour blogging at my laptop.

So that's the plan and the sneak peek that I promised you would get.

Today's exciting development is the installation of new oak internal doors to replace the rickety bi-fold doors that led to the bathroom and bedroom.  I'll take a photo of them tonight and show you tomorrow, it's going to make such a difference to the look of the place. 

It's nice to see all the things we have both planned starting to happen, getting the tradesmen in and organised has been the hardest part but we are so grateful that our brilliant handyman has been working along steadily for the last month getting everything ready so that now the trades are finally becoming available they have all the prep work already taken care of.

And finally, thanks for all the great toast comments yesterday, it would seem that we are all a bunch of toast addicts  😁


Sue xx




51 comments:

  1. Oh, I DO think that your design is wonderful! I always think that white is a good choice for small spaces, to maximize the light from the windows. It seems so bright. I do love it. It sounds stupid, but half a world away, I was drinking my coffee and spending my hour on the computer studying your pictures and being just as pleased as if I was watching the whole thing unfold right next door!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I am pleased with this final version. It's everything I need ...well a bit more storage would be good, but that's just a good excuse for another big declutter eh ;-)

      Delete
  2. Sue your kitchen is going to look gorgeous, I love your taste. Looking forward to seeing more renovation updates xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm sure I'll be back with lots more photos and descriptions to bore you all to death. But I do like to have this as my record of the renovations, I'll look back one day and be glad I did it all now I'm sure.

      Delete
  3. Wow, it's going to be amazing- I LOVE sneak peeks!- and it's brilliant that you have had time to design, savour and re-design the kitchen to get it just right. The boiler look as though it might be a Worcester Bosch one. We had one in the park home and it was really reliable. Still brilliant after 10 years use. Can't wait for more sneak peeks, Sue, they make my day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is a Worcester Bosch and Alan has the same sort only with a bigger output in the house too. Both just serviced and ready to be fired up 😃

      Delete
  4. That's nice to have the little table to sit at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's going to be useful to have another little surface too. 😀

      Delete
  5. Oh, it's going to be great! I like the design you've settled on and the deep drawers will be really useful. It's a very cohesive look with the light oak work surface and splash back the same (which will also match the new doors). And the Smeg will just complete your look x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a blog reader who reminded me that drawers would be much more usable than cupboards, especially at my grand old age 😉

      Delete
  6. You’re kitchen is looking gorgeous Sue. I can’t wait to see it finished, which of course I’m sure you can’t too. It looks so spacious and light. Absolutely loving what you are doing with the new place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, I can't wait for sure. I'm itching to start filling it with all the pots and pans that I haven't even seen for such a long time 🙂

      Delete
  7. Its going to look stunning and its a fantastic use of the space. Looking forward to seeing it happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad we finally got the design right 😃

      Delete
  8. It is going to be fab. Thank you for the sneak peak and I look forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you'll see lots more over the coming weeks 😀

      Delete
  9. That's going to be lovely. I hope it is all done and dusted soon.

    We inherited a very elderly kitchen here and a cooker which wants to cook at 20 deg higher than set, so I shall be glad when it's all been replaced later in the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate having to get used to a new ovens foibles, it took me quite a while to get used to the fan oven here at the flat and of course to get used to heating it up and reading what temperature I needed it on at, I've had the luxury of the Aga for too long 🤣

      Delete
  10. This is all so interesting to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad, it's nice for me to get it here on the blog so I have a record of the annexes progress for posterity 🙂

      Delete
  11. That will be just wonderful for you. Excited to see it all done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really will, it will be like Christmas when it's finally installed

      Delete
  12. Thank you for the lovely sneak preview of your new kitchen. It looks amazing! My own kitchen is 21 years old and it's beginning to show. I've decided I am allowed to get a new one this or next year, with a dish washer. I never thought I needed one, living alone and all that, but due to Covid I've been mostly working from home, which means cooking a lot more, and by now I seriously dislike doing the dishes. Only thing worse would be having them sit unwashed for days on end, so I do them every evening, grumbling and being sorry for myself. ;D I'll be following the progress of your new kitchen. Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A full size dishwasher isn't really practical for singles, I have a Fischer and Paykel single drawer, not cheap but reliable and perfect, I cook 3 meals and the usual tea and coffee etc so it is a load every day.
      A friend got talked into a full size and now hates the dishes sitting in it for 2 or 3 days before there is a load.

      Delete
    2. I've never wanted or used a dishwasher so luckily it doesn't bother me that there's no room for one in my little kitchen. Mind you even in Alan's large kitchen he's not having a dishwasher installed, I guess we're just old fashioned pot washers 😀🤣

      Delete
  13. Your kitchen will be super when its finished and it sounds like you've delegated a lot of the work, clever girl.
    Jean. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've delegated virtually ALL of the work, I thought it's time I let other people do things for me. I've renovated far too many properties and gotten my hands dirty every time. This time I've taken a huge step back ... and it feels great.

      Delete
  14. Love the new look colours and wood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite a restful pallette isn't it 😃

      Delete
  15. I love the idea of the splashback matching the worktop! And that fridge 😍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It keeps it simple. The first choice was to go for white subway tiles again, but even they seemed a bit fussy in such a small space. This way there's not too much going on 🙂

      Delete
  16. Your kitchen design is marvelous I love it. You have made some really good choices. I think you will be extremely happy with it. I bet you will find that you will not need as much extra storage as you think once you put everything away. The drawers are amazing for storing a lot of goodies. Thank you for all the inspiration. I do look forward to your other changes...you have some really well thought out plans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having only the 3 drawers and one double wall unit, plus the open shelves of course, will be tight, but hopefully I should be able to pare back enough 🤞🤞

      Delete
  17. Replies
    1. I did have a huge smile on my face when the computer generated image appeared on my computer screen for the first time 😃

      Delete
  18. I love it all! I think having the back splash and counter all the same makes it look larger. Sage green will be a perfect color for the cabinets too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does keep it cohesive doesn't it. Sage green will be the recurring colour throughout the annexe, I've just ordered some sage green based Laura Ashley wallpaper for one wall of the bedroom 😀

      Delete
  19. Fantastic! You must be so excited to see your dream becoming a reality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like Christmas 😃🍾🍾🍾

      Delete
  20. Very exciting seeing a sneak preview of your new kitchen, absolutely gorgeous♥

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nicely streamlined! Love the colors and I am a big fan of drawers and drawers inside of drawers. Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Drawers inside of drawers' sounds fascinating 😀

      Delete
  22. It looks so lovely and really makes the most of the available space. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does doesn't it, and allowing for the boiler and consumer unit etc to be concealed in a cupboard nice and neatly.

      Delete
  23. Oh, wow, that looks absolutely fantastic. I really, really love it. Clever you.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and you know what ... for once I am accepting the praise, because although the kitchen designer has worked out all the nitty gritty and the measurements and how to's etc it is all my design and my tweaks to the original plan that have made it work so well. Yep ... I'm a genius!! If it doesn't work out in reality though ... it's all the kitchen designers fault ;-)

      Delete
  24. What more can be said? It looks wonderful. I'm sure that you will be 'itching' to move in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh ... itching barely describes it ... lol :-)

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.