Thursday 8 September 2022

Fessing Up ...

 


I have to confess ... after my big book post of the other day and getting to the final count, I had literally just pressed Publish on the post and there was a knock at the door.  It was the postman with these purchases.

I had forgotten about pre-ordering the latest Miquel Barclay book many weeks ago, but here it was on the day of publication fresh from Amazon.  From Ebay there were these Be-Ro books.  A bang up-to-date edition and a really old one from just after the war years. 

 I couldn't believe the fantastic condition of the old one, it had literally never been used.  I doubted its authenticity for a moment but the old staples and slight rust marks where they are give its age away nicely.

Front covers.

I bought one of each so that I could compare how things have altered over the years.

Back covers.


And inside.

I'll give these a good look through when I get back, even I don't take cookbooks on holiday with me ... well rarely.  😁  


Then later in the day another book arrived via the Amazon delivery driver.  Now this one looks really interesting ... although is one week on rations enough for anyone to really get a taste for it?  I don't know, when we did it last we did it for a month and that seemed just about right.

Anyway my book total now stands at - 340 ... a nice round number in my opinion. 😀

Oh, if you were wondering why I have two of the latest Be-Ro editions it's because it's how this particular seller was selling them, and I thought it would add to my little collection of giveaway items that I'm putting together for my other blog, ready for when I start the new rationing Challenge.  Just a chance for some of the Subscribers of that blog to perhaps win a little something related to what I'm doing.


Sue xx

10 comments:

  1. Just a small indulgence - they are slim enough to take up next to no room too! The earlier Be-Ro book shows how our taste buds were far more easily satisfied back in the day. I make cheese scones regularly - as a cobbler topping for mince or in a much larger individual scone which you score into eight and slice after cooking. Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, I think I remember that Be-Ro booklet being around when I was a kid :-)
    And do not apologise for buying things - you have worked hard and saved carefully and if you can afford these purchases then so what. In buying these items you have helped anyone and everyone involved in their sale & delivery - the eBay seller, the Amazon employee, the delivery driver, the post office staff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My BeRo book is 60 years old and is patched up with sellotape, front cover missing but still used regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have 2 Be Ro books (34th and 40th editions) and use them both fairly regularly. Happy days using them with Mum and Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the old ration books! Lately I've really enjoyed a stack of fiction about the war and using rations to do the cooking contests they would hold for the morale of the wives on the homefront. Lots of interesting recipes were made with rations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mum used to send me a copy of the be-ro books when there was a new edition, some of the recipes are great - their Christmas cake for instance is very reliable
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love, love, love the Be-Ro book. Mum taught me to bake using it and I still have that old, very much marked, book somewhere. One of the treasures I would never, ever throw out. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. To see how things have changed . Well they are all sitting round the table for a start. Lol. No one is fat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those books look wonderfully interesting. I really need to check and see what the rationing was like here in Canada and if we have any cookbooks.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a copy of a wartime cookbook but some of the recipes are now very expensive to make!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.