Monday 18 April 2022

No Chocolate Eggs, Just Leeks and Potatoes



I dropped enough hints about Easter eggs ... I know they are silly and stupidly less value for money than a bar of chocolate but there's something about biting into that egg shaped half shell of chocolate that is Easter for me ... but I got none.  

So I spent some time in the kitchen with potatoes, leeks and pastry instead.  Not even slightly the same but it stopped me sulking too much 😄


I had all the ingredients in the kitchen and this recipe was chosen as I really had to use up a very sad leek that had been lurking in the fridge drawer for far too long.

Sautéed slowly to develop flavour, I left the potatoes and leek to their own devices while I read some more of the cook book.


Then I lined my little 1lb loaf tin with a double layer of clingfilm.


Once the potatoes were soft I added the last of some dairy free mozzarella style cheese that needed using, it's not actually in the recipe but I thought ... why not!!


And then topped it off with a sprinkle of cheddar style cheese which is in the recipe.


Following the instructions I then compressed it all into the tin and popped it into the fridge for an hour.


Once out I covered it in a third of the sheet of ready rolled pastry,  scored the top, brushed it with some almond milk and put it into the oven for 30 minutes.


Oh yes .... it turned out beautifully.


I had half for my lunch straight from the oven with some Bisto gravy and peas, and then ate the other half the next day warmed through in the Remoska, served with a large dollop of mayo and a sliced up tomato.

It was delicious, the only thing I forgot to do was to smush the potatoes a bit, I remembered that I did do that last time, just sort of half mashed them and it made it a bit better.

The recipe is from this book by Miguel Barclay.  I have all seven of his books and although some of the books are quite similar I do like to browse through them for simple and affordable meal ideas pretty regularly.


Sue xx



31 comments:

  1. That looks good! I have several Miguel Barclay books and find them great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are good for using up lots of the same ingredients in lots of different ways and for general inspiration aren't they.

      Delete
  2. Spooky, I have just turned on the computer whilst I am waiting for a "use up" pastie pie to come out of the oven, the ready made puff pastry was todays date, an onion ,three small spuds ,one and a half carrots, a little cheese, 5 more minutes, can't wait. I love leftover meals, so very satisfying. So sorry the Easter Bunny didn't visit, I have yet to find a vegan chocolate that I like.-----, Back again, out of the oven, looks yum. Tonight I am going to try rice pudding with left over rice, I have never tried it this way as I always do the couple of hours in the oven, some soy cream should add a little something, isn't cooking fun, not to mention the eating :)x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cue spooky deja vu type music ... haha :-)

      The rice pudding idea sounds brilliant, I'll have to give it a go. The new Cadbury's vegan bars are dangerously delicious, but a bit pricey. I find I like most of the Nomo and Vego chocolate ranges.

      Delete
  3. That does look good Sue. Love to cook once and eat twice. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so satisfying knowing that you have something already cooked and waiting for you in the fridge isn't it.

      Delete
  4. We had no chocolate Easter things here. Intentionally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whereas I did it totally unintentionally, haha :-)

      Delete
  5. That looks so delicious. I have a sheet of shortcrust pastry... I wonder if it would work with that as well as it did with puff? Thanks for sharing the idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, any sort of pastry would work with this. I just LOVE pastry :-)

      Delete
  6. It turned out looking yummy!
    You can pop into the stores today to get your Easter candy on sale!! I know you like a bargain, Sue!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have that in the back of my mind :-)

      Delete
  7. I'd much prefer your lovely veggie pie to an Easter egg, I'm not a fan of sweet things! I used to spend my pocket money on 2p Spicy Tomato Snaps! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same. Potato puffs for me. My husband on the other hand LOVES chocolate!

      Delete
    2. Vix, I used to save 2p of my pocket money to buy a giant pickled onion from the chippy, but I have to admit the largest proportion of it went on penny sweets and The Bunty :-)

      Delete
    3. VC , we are all different aren't we. At least you and hubby don't have to fight over the potato puffs OR the chocolate :-)

      Delete
    4. True, if only I could get them nowadays (another thing lost in the mists of time). I adore pickles and he hates them so we don't fight over them either!

      Delete
  8. I would have made sure you had some chocolate Easter eggs if I lived close by! ~Andrea xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looked tasty. Shame on your man for not taking the hint about an Easter Egg. But hey, after Easter they're all reduced!!!

    Oh, and thank you for reminding me I need Gravy granules!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hints these days have to be accompanied by a 'Do you understand?' to have any chance of working. Hope you managed to get the gravy :-)

      Delete
  10. I hope you can find some reduced price Easter chocolate and enjoy it. Your food looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be having a look in our little Sainsbugs when we go out today.

      Delete
  11. Oh my that looks wonderful.

    Sorry you didn't get your Chocolate Egg..

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very tasty, and much bigger than I remembered hence it making two meals :-)

      Delete
  12. You should get yourself some Easter eggs, likely they are half off now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to get some later today. I can get twice as many at half price can't I ;-)

      Delete
  13. Oh, that looks absolutely yummy :-)

    No Easter eggs here either, but that was by choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very tasty. I could never choose to have no Easter eggs :-(

      Delete
  14. I really fancy that potato and leek slice and you made it very attractive with the way you scored the pastry and brushed it with milk. I now intend to add some JusRoll pastry to my Sainsbury's order, due tomorrow.
    I bought myself an Easter Egg this year - a Twirl one. Quite right what you describe - biting into that half shell is GLORIOUS!!! (I also enjoyed the 3 bars of Twirl that accompanied it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, I used to LOVE Twirls. The combination of an Easter egg AND 3 bars would have been my idea of HEAVEN!!

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.