Thursday 21 April 2022

Large Jugs ... and Clever Posties

 

I knew that I loved the large brown jug the minute I saw it on the shelf in the gift shop, of course it was a very necessary purchase as my huge bunch of flowers had nowhere to live.  As I was sat watching television last night my eye was drawn to my little painting above the radiator shelf and then I realised why this particular brown jug had caught my eye and my imagination.

The painting of The Milkmaid by Vermeer has the girl pouring from a very similar jug.  So it seemed only right as I took my cards down this morning and had a bit of a dust-athon that I put the jug and it's contents into a new position and the flowers that Alan bought me onto the sideboard where they co-ordinated perfectly with the pictures behind.


It was my Uncles funeral in Stockport yesterday and the day went really well.  It was nice to meet up with family again even though it was sad to be saying a last farewell to a lovely man who was but two days away from his 95th birthday.  

Mum handed over a couple of cards that hadn't been posted and then my Aunty asked if I had received her card to me.  I hadn't, but then I really hadn't expected her to send me one with everything that she has been going through over the last few weeks.  She had sent it to my old address at the other side of town and the redirection that I did have in place ran out at the end of March.  

We promised we would call to the flat on the way home to see if it was there, but when we got there no-one was in, I even checked in the paper recycling bin outside but no luck.  Then we got home there it was through my new letterbox!!  Bearing the postman's writing saying 'now at no. 4'.  There are definite perks to living in a small town where the postman sort the mail and get to know everyone on a more personal level.  They had remembered where I had moved to after the flat and forwarded it on themselves.

Brilliant service and it really made my day.


Sue xx


    


18 comments:

  1. Those are beautiful flowers in the brown jug! I like the variety of blooms and the lovely colors!
    Nice work by your postman!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gorgeous flowers and lovely postmen. I have put a thanks to them on the local Facebook group.

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous bouquet in the perfect jug.

    I had some late cards too - due to Easter, even my Sis in Law remembered much to my surprise. No Aunties left to send cards any more, there's only two cousins left older than me - blimey I'm old!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They just look so right in it don't they.

      I still have both my Aunties now in their 80s, I am very lucky. Sadly this was the last of my two Uncles.

      Delete
  3. That jug, those flowers and that painting are wonderful together. I'm sorry about your uncle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It all just goes so well doesn't it. Simple and beautiful ... and of course the flying Pugs set it off wonderfully.

      Delete
  4. A little kindness to lift a sad day

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love everything about this post, except of course the sad news about your uncle. We are blessed with a wonderful mail carrier too, and treasure him. And oddly enough, I just wrote a post about my brown jug. Coincidence or serendipity?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A real coincidence, and yes I would have kept your broken jug too. There's something about it that seems to embrace it's imperfection. My favourite green jug has always had a chipped bit where you would pour from, which is why although it's a good 'make' I got it for £1 from an antique stall, but it's held all sorts of flowers over the years and few people have ever noticed it's flaw.

      Delete
  6. You've certainly had a busy week with your emotions being stretched across the spectrum. Imagine you will need to rest up a bit over the next week or so. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels like we have been here, there and everywhere and with the Bank Holiday Monday we don't even know what day it is!! Luckily we are going away soon and will be able to recharge our batteries in the sunshine of Spain.

      Delete
  7. Been lurking here for ages Sue. Read every night, love the blog. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh ... you little lurker!!

      I may have left you a comment on yours ;-)

      Delete
  8. Love the brown jug and the flowers are magnificent.

    I am sorry about your uncle.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I will have to keep this jug in flowers for the foreseeable future, I just love it so much.

      Thank you, he had a good long life and I found out so much about his escapades and his service to his country during the funeral service.

      Delete
  9. That lovely jug was sitting there waiting for you! It looks beautiful doesn't it. Three cheers for a lovely, efficient postie. They are a rare breed these days it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Popping in to say Hello, Sue!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.