Monday 16 May 2022

Back Home with a Tan, a Crash and a Ping


We're back home after a wonderful ten days in Alcudia, Majorca.  

With lots of sunshine, good food and a child-free hotel it meant that there was plenty of relaxation, some drinking and lots of rest ... just what we both needed.  I managed to read my way through four books, yes FOUR books in 10 days, a record even for me.  Two fiction paperbacks that I left behind to make our luggage even lighter coming home, and two on my phone which picks up all the books on my Kindle account.  In fact I sold my actual Kindle years ago when I found I just wasn't using it.

We both travel really light and had just one suitcase between us that weighed less than 15kg, even though we were allowed up to 32kg in one case if we needed it.  Alan also had a small backpack just containing our lightweight jackets and our holiday paperwork and I had a handbag.  We were amazed at the amount some people turned up with, all adding to the chaos at Manchester Airport.

We didn't stray very far from the hotel at all, we just had a couple of short walks and sits on the beach watching the day cool down, and just a few hours one day in Port Alcudia people watching from a pavement café, and watching all the preparations for the Iron Man Competition that was taking place on the Saturday.  We actually got to see the runners going past our hotel in the 27 degree heat on the day of the competition ... madness!!

We both topped up our tans, Alan more so than me as he is a real sun worshipper and he also had a few  dips in the hotel pool, although judging by his gasps the water was cool enough to put a lot of folk off going in at all.  But over the course of the week as the temperatures rose more and more people started risking a dip and swimming a few lengths.


We got home to find all the animals very happy, the house left super clean and tidy by our house-sitter ... and the potato plants now looking a lot more impressive in their Bags for Life just in front of the shed.  Time to top them up with some more compost I think.


There had been a crash landing at some point during the week, as once again Ginger had used the top of the cold frame to jump down off the fence onto.  I think it is beyond repair this time so I will have to have a reconsider for next year.


Somehow all the plants have survived, no doubt due to the cooler weather and rain that Kathleen our house-sitter said she had virtually all week.


The Courgette and Cucumber plants are also looking good.


As are the Tomato Plants that still live on my windowsill in the living room.


The past couple of days we have been making good use of the sunshine and breeze to get all our holiday washing done, well we have had to find things to do at home as just two days after we got  home than we were both pinged by the NHS Covid App.  So following the updated instructions we are still in isolation for the next few days.


So it's working from home for both of us ... and early morning doggy walks up the deserted canal.


Sue xx





18 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great time. Sorry to hear that you both got pinged on your return. Your plants are looking good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a much needed break. The plants are all looking brilliant, even this morning after they were battered by torrential rain last night , I was really worried for my little green babies :-(

      Delete
  2. Looks like a lovely vacation! Glad you don't have Covid and you can work from home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I have it or not, I do know I have been really poorly and am just starting to feel a bit more human now. But the current instructions are not to test but to remain in isolation for 5 days after the start of symptoms. It's not even a legal requirement, but in my opinion a moral duty!!

      Delete
  3. You made good use of your holiday, Sue, it sounds to have been just perfect :) Plants are looking good too and I hope Ginger was none the worse for his crash landing. I presume it was onto perspex rather than glass? What a nuisance to be pinged when you got home though, it shows Covid is still around .....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't perfect by a long shot as I caught a horrible cold three days in that took the next three days to ease, and even worse one of the hotels coffee machines broke halfway through the week so there were huge queues at breakfast to get a cup of coffee. One machine and over 300 guests doesn't go down very well ... but we both enjoyed the break and the sunshine. You have to have a positive attitude to life :-)

      Yes the top of the cold frame was a very flimsy type of Perspex, no damage to Ginger thank goodness.

      Delete
  4. It may sound weird, but I'm able to rest, relax and read books..only at home. When I'm out at some place, I just want to explore it. Even if I feel tired, I'll not stay at the hotel but be on the move.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which is exactly what I used to be like and why almost all our previous holidays have been capital cities, places of architectural interest and places with lots to do. Unfortunately as I now struggle to walk more than a couple of hundred yards without
      a serious amount of pain this had put a stop to this. ☹️ I made a real effort this holiday as Alan really needed a good holiday in the sun, and his favourite sort of break is one on a sun-lounger by a pool ... he's waited ten years since the last one.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a wonderful time. Four books!! Wow!!!

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good.

      I know ... four books in one week!! It helped that 3 of them were fiction and I seem to whizz through fiction and not ponder over it like I do with non-fiction.

      Delete
  6. Your vacation sounds wonderful! Relaxation is everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really needed especially by Alan, it actually took him until day eight to fully unwind. But non-stop sunshine and copious amounts of vodka and orange helped ... it's a good job it was all-inclusive :-)

      He's had a tough few years work wise, he has a very stressful job and sometimes needs a proper de-pressurisation from it.

      Delete
  7. I am glad you both had a well deserved break. I hope the covid disappears quickly for you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alan is flaring up a bit now, but it's manageable and we are working through it.

      Delete
  8. Wonderful holiday! Have you ever seen the series’Benidorm’? Such a funny show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to watch it once, but I really couldn't get into it.

      Delete
  9. I'm so glad you had such a lovely, restful time. Fingers crossed you both remain healthy and untroubled by any sort of Covid. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've both been so poorly with this 'bad cold' in all it's formats and recurrences that we have come to the conclusion that we probably have gone through all the Covid stages. Oh well we are coming out the other side.

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.