Friday 22 October 2021

It's a Bit of a Book Week

 


It really has been a bit of a book week this week, first I got my pre-order of Nigel Slater's latest offering ... and isn't that cover just glorious.  I love Nigel's writing and his recipe books aren't just recipes they are reminiscences and essays that carry you through his books until you are in a different world.  A world where you want to go into the garden to snip a sprig of rosemary and then nip to the lovely old fashioned corner shop for a pound of freshly made sausage links and a pouch of coffee beans.  Then you come to your senses, make a Nescafe, grab a biscuit and sink once more into his words.


The second new book was my pre-order of my former Blogging Buddy Elaine's book A Horse, a Husband and Cancer.  A poignant book that has been sat by my side waiting to be read since it fell through the letterbox, but I need to prepare myself for this one.  We were inconstant communication via Facebook, Messenger and via our blogs for so many years that to not have her any more, and to only have her words is hard.

Sadly she lost her battle with cancer on 5th January this year, but boy oh boy did she put up a good fight over all those years.  Her husband Mark carried on her blog (same title as the book she was already part through writing, and which is on my sidebar ... as she has been since her Ted and Bunny days were listed on my old blog Our New Life in the Country) telling the end of her story as was her wish and so many of us read along each week through blurred, teary eyes.  Now all I see are her comments popping up almost daily on my Facebook Memories page, on jokes shared that remind me of our similar wacky and at times totally irreverent humour.

The book will sit close to me until I can bring myself to read it, there is no rush.


The final book this week ... the Christmas at Booths annual offering.  

A freebie that is far too good to be given away in such huge quantities in the stores, but one that I pick up every year without fail.  Although this year I went through it carefully and counted the vegan offerings ... 17 if I have counted correctly, and most of those were fruits and vegetables.  Would I buy it if there was a charge ... I doubt it.

But I will pass it on to a neighbour rather than popping it into the paper recycling bin, it's far too good to be flicked through only twice (once by me and once by Alan) and then discarded.

And now I have to fight the urge to buy more books, oh the thrill of opening a fresh new book, it's hard to resist!!


Sue xx
Bookaholic Extraordinaire




14 comments:

  1. I love Nigel Slater's writing. It makes my mouth water. And he's such a nice chap (two members of my family have had really positive encounters with him) The second book is one to read At The Right Moment. With time, tea and tissues. I know nothing about Booths but they sound very interesting (a NW secret...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's the cook version of Alan Bennett, another writer that I can wallow in for hours at a time ... and he's lovely in person too.

      Booths is a family owned northern supermarket, just a small chain. A bit like Waitrose but with a high proportion of locally produced and locally grown goods. I love to browse the shelves and treat myself to a jar of something tasty. And they have a restaurant in most stores serving tasty meals ... and coffee 😃

      Delete
  2. I am sorry for your loss...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, we never met in person sadly, but we're just on the same wavelength and had the same wacky and at times very irreverant humour.

      Delete
  3. That book of Elaine's will be a very hard read, one of those you know you simply have to read but are dreading it at the same time, because it will force us to confront the reality. I love Nigel Slater, he's such a luvvie but has such a down to earth love of good, simple food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If ever I am need of a virtual hug and a soothing moment , watching Nigel Slater on the TV would be my go to, his relaxing way of cooking and way of communicating his pleasure in simple ,basic ingredients is so comforting and I covet his kitchen and garden. I can't imagine my home without books, apart from the joy of reading them,to be able to get entertainment and knowledge without plugging something in, I love the look of books on the shelves.From how you have described your relationship with Elaine it sounds like you will go through several emotions when reading her book, what a brave and inspirational woman she was.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am also a bookworm. There is a book by just about every chair I sit in. Sorry about Elaine, there is no words for me to say, but that I'm glad you have the book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There a worse 'bad' habits than reading books! Just feel compelled to put that out there, since your habit and my habit are the same habit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, the Nigel Slater book looks good...I may have to try the Hazelnut Chocolate cake with Sultanas and Rosemary. Using Aldi's 30p a bar dark chocolate, which is very good for cooking (if you have any left), the 300g of dark chocolate the recipe calls for would be do-able for a Christmas treat!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so so envy you having Booth's close by. I absolutely love their stores, and the food they sell. I use them all the time when I holiday in the Lakes. Need to persuade them to open a branch in Devon :-) Waitrose just isn't the same. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Books are perhaps the way I made it through a difficult childhood and those up and down teenage years. I still love a good book.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am filled with disappointment that by the time we pass Booths again this year (we often drop in at the Penrith branch on the way to the cottage in Scotland)all the Christmas books will have gone. Last year I got the very last one as some kind assistant saw my look of horror that the box of books at the entrance was empty and went rooting in the back of the store and found one for me!
    Love Nigel Slater and will be bringing out the Christmas Chronicles for another read soon.
    So many bloggers have died over the years and they are very much missed - how lovely to still be able to read her words even though it will be a sad experience.
    My book list is growing - I have my eye on one or two (well six actually)!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have to admit that books are my weakness when it comes to shopping. While I do use the library on a regular basis, there are some books that I simply need to own!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Some great reads there Sue, as you will know from my Instagram the other day I bought Nigel's new book, I really love this one,
    I think its one of the best yet, I shall be making lots from it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.