Monday 1 November 2021

When Wheelie Bins Come Knocking

 


The 'plastics and glass' wheelie bin came knocking on the front door at five o'clock this morning.  He had his lid entangled with the blue lidded paper recycling bin and he had somehow managed to mount the door mat and get right up to the front door.  I sorted them out and pushed him back into place then grabbed a glass of water and went back to bed for an hour.

When I got up he was back at the door again, although this time waiting quietly.

I know the weather has been atrocious over the last few days, but you know it's bad when even the wheelie bins want to come inside.  😄😁


My first job today was to turn the pack of Meatless Farms Mince that I bought the other week into shepherdess pie bases.  I call them that in my head although I use this mince/carrot/celery mix for lots of other purposes too.


The shape and portion size that I freeze makes for a good pasty filling, or once thawed out and with peas added a good topping for some pasta, and it's nice to have a little stash in the freezer.


I freeze them like this as if I am making a shepherdess pie I like to have A LOT of mashed potatoes and if I added the potatoes before freezing I just wouldn't be able to get the lid on.  I could quite happily live on mashed potatoes with lots of salt and pepper and slightly too much butter melted in so I pile the buttery mash on and then just cook for 25 or so minutes at 180 degrees.

I'm having an easy day today as we went to visit my son and his girlfriend yesterday and a whole day of sitting in the car and then in their house has really seized me up and made me sore.  But it was well worth it, it was so lovely to see them and their doggies again.

I hope you are all safe from this awful weather.  We have lots of lying water in and around town and while some of the roads need care to travel on and the river and canal have both risen dramatically, we have gotten off relatively unscathed considering the sheer amount of rainfall we have had.  Much better than some people near where my son lives who have been flooded out of their homes and businesses yet again.


Sue xx


16 comments:

  1. Ha! Very good. I thought initially it was trick or treat people moving them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, no it was the high winds and torrential rain we had last night. The weather was too bad for any trick or treaters unfortunately. 🎃😟

      Delete
  2. Glad you are safe from the bad weather! You are so clever with your measuring and freezing food. You are good at not wasting a bit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hate food waste and have done for years, so I like to use things carefully. I also hate washing pots so making things in batches makes me happy. Just the one pan to wash, instead of one pan six times 😃

      Delete
  3. Your bins are like the crying angels in Dr. Who, don’t turn your back on them 😋🙂

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scary bins - ours would have a long way to travel as they are tucked behind our shed in the back garden - I would panic if one actually came to the door. Love Shepherds Pie during the winter months though I make mine with brown lentils. It is raining in West Yorkshire but not any sign of flooding here - not sure if our cottage might have floated away though as it is in the Dumfries and Galloway area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually use lentils but since discovering how tasty this particular meatless mince is I switch backwards and forwards between the two.

      Delete
  5. I use a great many tinfoil containers for freezing as well. The ones I use are a perfect size for a meal for Harvey and I.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, these smaller ones are a perfect size for just me and Alan uses the next size up. He batch cooked some Mince and Tatties the other day in his.

      Delete
  6. I guess your poor bin must have been tired of the weather. That must have been some strong wind! You are smart to have the base of six meals in the freezer and ready to go. I love things that make life easier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everyone is tired of the weather at the moment, it's been non-stop rain. 😟

      It's good to know half the cooking has been done already 😃

      Delete
  7. That wheelie bin wanted to come in! The cheeky sod!! 'He' needs a name. How about 'Roger'? (No offence to all the Rogers out there!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nooo, if I name one all three of them will want names ... then Alan will be totally baffled. 🤣🤣

      Delete
  8. I'm glad you managed to escape the worst of the weather, even if you had a 5am caller. You must have wondered what on earth was making all that noise. X

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.