Saturday 4 March 2023

Daffodils, Muffins and Weekend Watching

 

It's lovely to have some colour in the house and the garden at the moment.  

Inside it's daffodils smiling cheerfully at me from the shelf, and out in the garden along with the daffodils and snowdrops it's lots of little primulas that have reappeared after sleeping the Winter away.

Usually I don't like the smell of daffs in the house ... to me they are fusty and musty smelling ... but for once my complete lack of any form of a sense of smell is working in my favour.  😁


The Fast 800 diet is going well, I'm feeling better in myself and the scales were showing a lower number the other day, so that is hopeful.  I'm sleeping really deeply and really well, but I do find that I'm hungry a lot and I find that hard.  Oh, I so nearly had a chocolate bar last night,  but I went and cleaned my teeth instead ... it seemed to work.

I'm doing a mixture of recipes from the book and things that I already have in that I want to use up, but making sure that I stay around the 800 calories a day mark.  For instance this morning for my breakfast I made the Cheese and Spinach Mini Muffins from the Fast 800 Easy cookbook, but one day in the week I did have two Weetabix with almond milk.  It's all about balance.


These muffins were quick and easy to make, and very tasty.




Although as they stuck to my muffin tin liners quite a bit, I had these three with my cup of coffee and then shared a fourth with Mavis, who managed admirably. 

 If you would like to read more about the diet you can click on this link:   

I am currently doing the Fast 800 and combining it with TRE (time restricted eating) which really suits me.  I am easily doing 14/10 without even having to think about it too much.


Now on a completely different topic, how about a bit of Weekend Watching.  I watched the following two videos while having my breakfast this morning ... and yes they are all about food!!


Atomic Shrimp's channel seems to have grown massively over the last few months, with over 910k subscribers he has a brilliant following.  My favourites out of all of his challenges are unsurprisingly the limited spending ones, and this latest one and his last one saw him trying to recreate the £1 per day meals challenge, but this time allowing for inflation with £1.37 to spend.



This second video is Chelsea from Little Mountain Ranch who is currently cooking recipes both from her own family archives ready to launch a cookbook of her own, and also from some very old books that her husband has just bought her.  She has such a lovely sunny disposition and a brilliant way of life that it's a joy to sit and watch her videos.


Hope you all have a lovely weekend.


Sue xx



16 comments:

  1. Phew! I've just had a lovely catch-up. Your canalside photos were gorgeous and I'm glad to hear that poor Mavis is doing well after her doggy dentistry..
    Well done with the weightloss, you're such a determined woman i know you can do it. Those muffins look delicious. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you were glad to stay indoors and have a catch up on blogs, as my Granny would say 'you'll catch your death in this cold weather after a sunny holiday'!

      Delete
  2. The flowers I really don't like the smell of are lilies - yuck! I had a look at your menu planner, it looks very doable. Glad to hear you're already starting to feel better. I expect the hunger will wear off quite soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like anything about lilies, I've even specified very strongly that I do not want any at my funeral and that anyone that sends them is to be evicted! ;-)

      Delete
  3. I really enjoy Atomic Shrimp. He is so clever with his recipes using such a limited range of ingredients.

    Like Sooze, I dislike the scent of lilies. They're just too overpowering for me. Daffs too, but they don't seem to throw it out so fiercely!

    I love the look of those muffins. Yum. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The muffins were delicious, I'll be making some more for my breakfasts next weekend. :-)

      Delete
  4. The smell of Daffs doesn't really bother me. What I hate is Hyacinths and Lilies. How awful not to have your sense of smell back yet though. You can't smell your lovely cooking aromas :( Those muffins look tempting but I'm not sure I could manage on 800 calories Sue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really miss my sense of smell, but rather weirdly I get flashes of scents that cannot possibly be around me. The other week I kept getting the smell of burning, which was quite alarming. Strangely though when my toast caught fire I smelled absolutely nothing!!

      Having just 800 calories is pretty tough, you really do need to make what you eat flavourful ... and drink lots of water and black coffee.

      Delete
  5. I have never noticed that Daffs have a scent. Must pay better attention. I am going to take a look at that Fast 800 link you shared.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to have a really sensitive sense of smell, now it's completely gone. I always found daffodils to be musty smelling.

      Delete
  6. I'm with Sooze - cannot have lillies in the house, the smell makes me feel very ill.

    Good luck with your new eating plan. How is Mavis today?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I would never have lilies, I really don't like anything about them.

      Mavis is doing great now thank goodness. She is managing just fine, although obviously she's not on her dried kibble yet and definintely no hard doggy treats, she's been sharing Gingers treat instead they are much softer.

      Delete
  7. Flowers are still a sore subject for me ( well they would be for Phil ) following the Valentines Day fail but I do love daffodils, such a happy flower. Well done on the new diet, my weight loss has stuck for a while , I saw this diet advertised and have been considering it to kick start things again so I will follow your endeavours ,I have now lost 3 stone 2 but would like to lose more as it feels so good to feel more healthy and to be able to walk uphill without stopping to catch my breath, pretending to admire the non existent view :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are happy flowers aren't they, and I'm loving being able to have them indoors this year. It's funny I haven't seen this diet advertised anywhere for years and then suddenly it seems to be popping up everywhere now that I'm doing it.

      You've done amazingly well losing over 3 stone!! Well done. xx

      Delete
  8. Like Jackie I've never really noticed daffodils having much of a smell, but yes, they are such a welcome splash of colour aren't they?
    I'm still throwing up loads of excuses for not starting my cut down on carbs yet - but loving your diet posts.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always thought that they smelled awful, which meant lots outdoors and none in the house for me. Oh, I miss my carbs ...........

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.