Sunday 1 September 2019

Keep Moving Forward



'Keep moving forward' feels like the mantra of my life.

I have moved house many times, from five different areas around Manchester to three locations in Cumbria to Oxfordshire, then Berkshire, then finally to Wales ... or so I thought.  Then itchy feet and the need to fulfill a dream brought me full circle to Lancashire.  Where accents match mine, buns are back to being barm-cakes and where you can smile at a stranger without getting a funny look.

My career history is similarly here, there and everywhere, well I guess it has to be when you move around  the country at the drop of a hat as I have.  I started out in office work, as an invoice clerk, then moved to the civil service as a typist, then relief typing pool supervisor/secretary ... I was pretty bad at that, kept cutting Government ministers off on the phone ... oops!!  

Then I had stay at home period with my eldest son and the first few months of my youngest sons life, before the need for some extra cash saw me holiday home cleaning,  then caravan cleaning two days a week once he was at nursery school.  Alongside this I volunteered at an Oxfam shop two mornings a a week and this is what led to a whole new career in charity shop management, first with Oxfam, then the British Heart Foundation, then six years at Scope.

After a year out of the charity game working at Sainsbury's as an on-line shopper, when this first was a 'thing',  I went back into managing shops when we uprooted ourselves again. This time two local hospice shops .

Oh did I mention that in between managing charity shops I opened my own shops. The first time it was a little bric-a-brac style antique shop for a couple of years and then after leaving the Hospice I opened a little gift and toiletries shop ... that's when my very first blog (and my blogging career) was born.  Day to day life in the smallest shop in Cumbria 🙂

Then a conversation over a coffee in the shop one Saturday morning started the biggest change of them all, the one most of you know all about after reading my second blog for eight years.

I just take a breath and keep moving forward.

  It's all you have to do if you have a dream.  If you then decide that dream is not for you, you take a bigger breath and move on again, sideways, forwards or even backwards if you really must.

But fresh new things are exciting, fresh ideas spark something magical and a fresh new anything is what keeps life special ... even if it's just a new coffee, a new cake or a different doggy walk ...


...just ask Suky !!

She moves forward with me ... every step of the way.


Sue xx


19 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post and what a colourful life you have had, with your sense of adventure, and the ability to keep picking yourself up and starting over. You have my full admiration ; Love XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww ... thank you. I simply take each day as it comes... life is an adventure one day and simply a good book another ❤

      Delete
  2. I've so enjoyed this post, Sue. I think I can understand why you want a simpler life now x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slowing it down ... but there's more adventure ahead 😀

      Delete
  3. I love the insight into your working/home life. Great post Sue. Your mantra poster has my name all over it. We very really get through life without that proverbial carpet being pulled from underneath us at times. But its how we get up and shake our selves off that matters. You seem to have done that very successfully. Well done. Tx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tania. 🙂

      I'm like one of those Weebles my son used to have, big bottomed plastic people that stand upright everytime you knock them ove, but this particular Weeble wears the scars.

      Delete
  4. You have certainly been a busy girl over the years, you deserve your smaller simpler life. I know one thing I can't wait to get out of this big four bed bungalow.I can't wait until next year.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither can we, but there's a lot of work to be done in the meantime. Never mind we're busy cracking on.

      Delete
  5. Agree completely. There is only one direction to go, and that's forward. Some people don't get it and expect things to stay the same forever. They don't.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! Slowing down yet still moving forward. I've had more than a few hurdles thrown at me in my life but I am thankful to finally be retired. Now I just need to figure out the best way to navigate retirement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many options for you ... the world is your oyster. Alan has dreams at the moment of returning to his watery roots and navigating us down the canals of Britain ... we'll see 🙂🙃😊

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful picture. I saved it to my files for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brooke has some wonderful memes online, I'm a huge fan. We're really on the same wavelength in most things.

      Delete
  8. I love this post Sue - it sort of resonates with me at the moment. I always have a dream but getting there seems like a gigantic if not impossible achievement at the moment. We REALLY need to move forward - It's been a bad year with one thing and another (husband out of work for 12 months after a serious back operation), elderly ill parents. The icing on the cake is we have loved our home for 20 years but for the past two years we have had impossible noisy neighbours making our life hell and exasperating our stress levels. I just want a bungalow away from it all and to be left in peace. Sorry for the personal rant - there are a lot of people much worse off and I need to keep this in mind. Your wonderful sayings and posts give me inspiration and I have enjoyed them for SO long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rant away ... it's cathartic sometimes to get things down in black and white, push that Publish button and see it out there for you and everyone else to read.

      It sounds like you're having it tough and I know exactly what that feels like. We each last a parent, shut down a farm full of animals, moved house and then had horrendous health issues all within a year. It drains the life out of you, but I can honestly say that once you come out the other side and have time to breathe and look back, you realise how strong it has made you. And then is the time to sit down and formulate a plan for a fresh new, simpler future.

      You CAN do this ... you ARE doing it. Go girl ❤

      Delete
  9. Have you only got suky now? I thought you had a terrier as well.

    Wonderful post as always

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we still have Mavis, she spends time with Alan when I'm at the Van with Suky. She's a bit of a daddys girl usually ... she gets to choose :-)

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.