Friday 20 December 2019

Alan's Christmas has been delivered ...


In the immortal words of Margo 'Christmas has been delivered ...'  (yes for those of you who know The Good Life inside out, it is a slight misquote).  

Our hamper gifted to us every year since Alan started working through the agency he works through arrived yesterday.  The first year they sent us a small Fortnum and Mason hamper, then every year after that until two years ago it was the extra large Fortnum and Mason hamper.  The past couple of years it has been a Regency Hamper, just as lovely but with less jam and slightly less posh wine, although with the addition of posh cheeses and smoked salmon.



Alan did the unpacking, after all most of the food that is in it is what he will be eating … I might be able to help him with some of the wine though  

Out of the entire contents of the hamper there are three things I would eat, three things that have not contributed to the death of an animal or a fish. 

A pack of four mince pies, a jar of red onion marmalade and a bag of crisps.

This time of year is especially hard for vegans ... not the eating of tasty food you should understand, we have SO much of that we could never go short by any stretch of the imagination.  It's the row upon row of dead flesh in the shops and supermarkets.  Packaged up to look as far removed from the dead body it came from as possible.  Hygienically shrink wrapped, placed on trays and titivated up to look pleasing to the eye.  It doesn't. ☹

It is not pleasing to the eye in any way once you see it for what it is.

I'll not rant and rave on here, this is not what my blog is for.  This blog is my day to day life both here in Wales and at the Van.  But occasionally I do feel the need to explain myself on a post … getting it down in black and white is the only way to get it out of my head.  Because most of the time that is where it is trapped.  There is no one in my family that I can turn to when all this gets too much, so I have to let  it run it's course and once it gets filed back in the 'why is the world so bloody cruel ' box I can breathe again … for a while.



The saving grace of yesterday was my new subscription copy of Vegan Life being delivered at the same time as the hamper.  Earthling Ed's face has never been more welcome.  Although I do have to catch up with my reading and read the December issue before I start on this one.  


Sue xx




20 comments:

  1. Vent away my dear. While I am not vegan, I have relatives that are and quite understand that sometimes things need to be said.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, your understanding means more than you will know. xx

      Delete
  2. I know how you feel. People I really love dig right in and eat animals, I know they could never butcher themselves. As a vegetarian, I love Vegans, hosts now say "Well, at least you're not a Vegan.' :>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha ... there is that way of looking at it ;-)

      Delete
  3. Oh, I so feel the same as you .Our freezer is full of meat for the rest of the family and the fridge has all sorts of cheese. There is a small nut roast for me and a pack of Violife cheese and but they will all have vegan gravy as I love gravy so I made a large portion and it is in the freezer. I have bought myself a book for Christmas , How not to diet, it has many pages but very informative.I wonder if so many people would buy meat if it was labelled as flesh , cow with darkened blood, baby cow, etc. ? Whatever meat replacement you have on your festive plate I wish you, Alan and your delightful animals, A Merry Christmas, Chrissie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love that good old Bisto red pack gravy is totally vegan and I can pour it everywhere ... well within reason ;-)

      I am thinking of a type of vegetable wellington concoction this year, I'm just REALLY into pastry at the moment. I saw a recipe somewhere for a leek/onion/nut roast type filling that I really fancied. Alan has asked me to make a large one so he can have a taste on Boxing Day.

      A very Merry Christmas to you and your family too Chrissie. xx

      Delete
  4. I understand. I've dipped in and out of vegetarian/vegan eating for a long time. I'm making 2020 the start of a permanent change. About 3 years ago we (hubby & I) were in Sainsbury's and on the fresh poultry aisle. The lines and lines of turkeys really tipped me over the edge and I cried - had to leave the store in fact. I just found it too much. Like your Alan, hubby is a meat eater, in fact he is from a farming family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My vegetarian journey began many years ago in 2009 after we had been keeping chickens for their eggs for quite a while. Shopping with my son in Asda he suddenly pointed to a chicken on a polystyrene tray and said 'that one is sat exactly how Molly sits'. I saw it for what it was and never ate chicken again. I gave up sausages and bacon, my only other meats, long before Betty our first pig ended up in the freezer!!

      Delete
  5. I wish you would find a space to explain yourself Sue. As a meat-eater I am genuinely interested in hearing your views and subsequent choices, also how you actually manage to accommodate both vegan and meat-eating member of the family. I have to admit though, I would be very excited by the arrival of the hamper, even though we eat very little convenience food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll see what I can do, when I am in a more balanced frame of mind. Perhaps I'll kick off Veganuary with my 'Vegan story' πŸ˜ƒ

      Delete
  6. I'm not vegetarian or vegan but understand your plight completely. It is as you say meat overload. My resolution once again is to cut our meat consumption.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's worth trying to cut down on meat for your health, the animals and the environment πŸ™‚

      Delete
  7. I find the supermarket meal aisles uncomfortable places all year, but it is definitely worse at Christmas. My carnivore spouse will never, ever change, but at least I can go to our nearby butcher and I know there is traceability and he only sells local produce.
    Don't feel you have to explain yourself, although when you do write about feelings and beliefs your posts are always thoughtful and a brilliant read.

    Love to you all and the pups over the holidays. xx πŸΎπŸ’šπŸΆ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid traceability doesn't help me ... they have ALL faced the same bolt gun and the same terrifying death.

      All the very best to you too, hope you have a lovely Christmas πŸŽ„πŸŽ€♥️

      Delete
  8. I have been vegan by choice for many many years. I made the connection between meat and animals in childhood and that was it for me. Convincing my parents was another matter back in those days but I persevered and won out. I stuck to my guns and won out. I actually met my husband through veganism which is just as well as I could not have tolerated meat/fish etc. in the house.
    Here's hoping you have a wonderful Christmas in wonderful Wales! I'm there again next month. Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant, good for you. I absolutely love strong minded, independent children ♥️

      I am in Wales until the end of February, if by any chance you are in our neck of the woods consider yourself invited for coffee πŸ˜ƒ

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much, that's extremely kind of you. Some might call me stubborn and bloody minded Sue!

      Delete
  9. Oh dear sue, bless you for saying this. I feel so alone as a vegan but especially at Christmas with oh so many animals and their products on display in the shops and on television. Your post made me cry a little as it is affecting me at this time. My carnivorous husband fails completely to understand and will not even discuss the issues. It breaks my heart to have a fridge and freezer full of dead animals knowing what they have gone through to get there and knowing that I am so much healthier for not consuming meat, eggs and dairy. Please share your vegan story, it would help people like myself and maybe help non vegans understand us X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to hear from you, thank you for your empathy, it really means a lot.

      I think I'll kick off Veganuary with my story, and then follow on with a month of recipes and good vegan memes ♥️

      Delete
  10. It's your blog, you have the right to express your opinions, good for you.
    We are meat eaters, but myself and my son are eating less meat these days, I am only eating it, 2 or three times at the moment. xx

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.