Thursday 6 February 2020

I May Be Gone a While



Just how wonderful were all of your responses to the Tuesday blog post!!

  You really did step up and share your favourite blogs past and present, thank you.  I'm not really going to be gone a while, but the title for this post fitted in with the meme so nicely and I am going to have a look at all of the recommendations so I may be missing intermittently.

Saying that ... I do prefer a good read to being social ... I can only take people in small doses.

This week has been hard with a pair of gardeners here all week bringing the mayhem that is our small-holding under control ready for sale ... yes they are outside and I have mostly been inside ... but they are there.  And they keep asking me questions.  

Which of course I answer politely and  I make a good effort to make small talk and have a laugh with them whenever I refill their little outdoor brewing up area with hot water, teabags and biscuits.  But it's draining me of energy, the will to live and all patience.  Luckily for Alan he has been away all week and thus spared my in-house wrath.

Does anyone else hate having workman in, or strangers in the house or garden ... or am I simply once again letting you in on the secrets of my weird foibles?

I am busying myself with a Challenge inspired by a reader, which also is getting ready for us selling up and moving on.  Let's just say I've been pretty active on Facebook Marketplace and the cupboards are emptying nicely.  If it's not nailed down and doesn't fulfill a really good use and  look pretty it's basically - GOING!!

I've got to go, there's a vacuum cleaner waiting to be photographed.   😁


Sue xx



18 comments:

  1. I absolutely doesn't like workers or strangers around the house or garden. I'm not a very social person. It feels like they are invading my privacy.
    Have a lovely day 💚
    Katrine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I detest having workmen in at any time. I can't relax at all. I'm not as hospitable as you though - I don't even make them a drink!! If they ask for one they're welcome, but I don't ask first. Just out of nosiness, do you still have Ethel the sheep and her lamb - or have they gone back to the farmer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are working all day every day, so I set them up a little 'drinks station' With a spare electric kettle, tins containing tea, coffee and sugar and I make sure they have fresh milk everyday along with biscuits that we have leftover from Christmas. I thought better that than the usual in and out making them drinks at times they might not want to down tools.

      Ethel and Jasmine have been in the careful hands of Will the Shepherd since October. I have a feeling that Ethel might not have lasted the Winter, but Will is very keen that Jasmine remains a long term part of his breeding herd as she is a spectacular girl now. I think it's better that they/she remains with a flock now we are moving on.

      Delete
  3. I hate it, too! I won't eat or have a wee whilst they are about! Makes for a very unpleasant experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad it's not just me ... Alan was implying that I'm a first class wuss. I'll be putting him straight on this right away … haha :-)

      Delete
  4. No one really likes their normal routine, to be interrupted.

    And of course, it also depends on the workers. Some can be very nice. So their being-there, is better.

    But constant questions! Yikes!!!!!

    *•.¸💛¸.•*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a bit late to the party, but can I suggest Murrmurrs - http://murrbrewster.blogspot.com/ - an American with an off-beat view of life. It's quite quite different to any of the lovely blogs that we all seem to read and enjoy.

    As to workmen and and gardeners, I'm absolutely with you. Somehow my husband always manages to be very busy elsewhere when we need to bring them in...
    Oh, I could go on, but I'd better not.
    Enjoy your read x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate having people and noise about the place, so there are quite a few things that we want to have done here that are waiting until Mr Veg has retired and he can do the tea making, question answering etc, and I can hide!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Read Quiet by Susan Cain, this book really resonated with me when I read the review. The funny thing was I leant it to a colleague before I had chance to read it and she never returned it. I will one day try to get it from the library.

    Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking is a 2012 non-fiction book written by Susan Cain. Cain argues that modern Western culture misunderstands and undervalues the traits and capabilities of introverted people, leading to "a colossal waste of talent, energy, and happiness".

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I agree regarding having anyone in my place. There is enough noise from traffic, neighbors and barking dogs as it is...Enjoy your reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i also dislike people being in my house/garden, i just want them to do the job they have come to do and leave asap,i don't like making them tea as it encourages them to loiter!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My mind boggles at all those people who say: "I love to entertain." I would like to have a house with a moat around it. And a door bell which does not work. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh … a house with a moat, now there's an idea :-)

      Delete
    2. My drawbridge would rust through inactivity!

      Delete
    3. I think mine would be welded in position … up of course :-)

      Delete
  11. Oh yes - a moat, a non-working doorbell and a closed drawbridge. Sounds like heaven. Any workmen I have to endure I want here, done and gone.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi there, sorry late again! Your post resonated with me so much this week as they have been refitting the kitchen in the staff bungalow (ours!) I know we should be grateful, and are, but as often happens things do not go according to plan and we ended up taking out most of the old one, and spent last weekend decorating - a total waste of time as the electrician and made new holes in the walls (it's a type of pre-fab). Then the fitters came and did not work from the plans so parts of the kitchen need to be adjusted, and the floor has been postponed. And we still need to do something with those awful walls!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.