Monday 24 February 2020

The House by the Dyke, Chirk Castle


We got back a couple of hours ago from a mini break to the biggest cottage we've ever stayed in.  We rattled round like two Petit Poi's in a broad bean pod. 


It was beautifully furnished and very National Trust.


Not altogether me if I'm honest, although we did enjoy the break.


Alan watched the Six Nations rugby matches and I read my book (a whole book), did some of my coursework and cooked.  We both washed up each day and tidied before we left.


Although this was the only bedroom out of the three that were there that we used, the other two stayed untouched and immaculate.

As an ex-holiday home cleaner myself I know the thrill this gives you when you step in the door with your cleaning supples and find some rooms unused, all the things back in their rightful place and the bins emptied and fires swept out.

Due to high winds and bad weather the whole of the castle and it's grounds was closed to the public on Friday and Saturday so we had the place to ourselves.  Made us feel slightly posh going home to a grand castle on the hill with a long sweeping driveway … although we did have to take care that no other cars followed us in!!


  On Friday we went to Wrexham … never again, least said soonest forgotten … lets just say the cleanest place to eat was Greggs!!  And then on Saturday we went to another National Trust property Erddig, a stately home with just the servants quarters open at this time of year, no matter … that's the bit I like best anyway.  Unfortunately it too closed after we had been there an hour due to the high winds.  There was just time to grab a coffee and set off back to our not so little cottage.


On Sunday we finally got to see around the part of the castle, although again due to it really being out of season only a small part of it was open.  Another coffee and cake was consumed and we had a good look around the gift shops and second hand book shop before we walked around the gardens and finally down the incline and back to our cottage.


My only souvenirs of the holiday are a wooden vegetable brush ... I have looked everywhere for a wooden one at a reasonable price to replace the one that fell apart last year … and a little bamboo teaspoon that is supposed to be a single use compostable replacement for plastic cutlery.  But things are only single use if you only use them once, I'll use this again and again and then finally as a plant marker … until it biodegrades.

Simple souvenirs of our last holiday together … the caravan park re-opens on Friday  🙂



Sue xx



12 comments:

  1. That sounds like a fun vacation away from home, staying in the National Trust cottage, near stately homes and castle. Sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have cottage envy, it looks lovely. The souvenirs are practical and useful. It saddens me to hear last holiday together but life happens. I know you love your caravan, I hope the weather gets warmer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful little break you had! And in such a lovely cottage!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cottage looks fabulous, I'd happily stay there. Love the bamboo spoon. Not sure what the 'last holiday together' remark means, but it's none of my business. I'm glad you're able to go back to your caravan very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a swanky place - it's much smarter than my home :-)
    Shame that the weather affected what you could do.
    Oh, was it puppy-friendly?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that cottage, it looks wonderful.
    You have another souvenir - you have your memories of your time away, don't you?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. See how quickly the winter 'closed caravan' season passed by. I bet you can't wait to get back to the van can you? I thought about you when there was all that on the news about the mafia don living in a caravan park near Garstang. The cottage looks massive and a bit posh. My husband always laughs because I strip beds and leave everything immaculate when I leave rented holiday places but I just think that's part of my showing respect for others. It's the way I was brought up. Let's hope the weather improves by the time you are back in the van.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the same in rented holiday accommodation; strip beds, hoover thoroughly and leave it immaculate.

      Nice holiday house Sue x

      Delete
  8. I've never been to Wrexham though I've driven past it hundreds or even thousands of times during my life. I've never wanted to go and I want to even less now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks amazing, Sue, and very much my kind of place!
    I'd never thought about how pleased the cleaner would be when she finds the second bedroom of the holiday home we go to in Devon, unused!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I clean a holiday cottage I am over the moon when guests stip the Beds, it makes my life a lot easier and such a thoughtful thing to do,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always strip the beds and leave all the linen (towels too) in a tidy pile. I'd never really thought that the cleaner would be pleased, so I'm glad that both you and Sue have said that.

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.