Monday 21 November 2022

Eight Meals for Under Two Pounds


I have been on a mission recently to eat my way through the contents of the fridge and freezer, trying desperately but not always succeeding  not to make too many portions so that the fridge ends up filling the freezer ... if you know what I mean.  

The other day I bought a bag of baking potatoes from Aldi's Super Six, 13 potatoes for just 99p a real bargain.  I decided to use three of them straight away to help use up the last of the celery, carrots and onion from the fridge.


With the addition of some store cupboard staples to add a real blast of flavour I set to chopping and slicing to make myself a large pan of vegetable stew.


I simply add a dash of oil to the pan and then after washing I chop, slice and add to the pan the things that take the longest to cook first.  In went the onions, then the carrots, then the celery and finally the potatoes.


Once everything had been sautĂ©ing together for about five minutes, I added all my bursts of flavour and the stock powder with about a litre of water.  It was brought to the boil and then left to simmer for about 25 minutes.


Then it was time to divide and conquer.  

Two bowls of vegetable stew, one eaten straight away and one left to cool.  Two portions of pasty filling lifted out of the pan with my slotted spoon and left to cool.  Then the rest of the contents of the pan were whizzed up with my stick blender and made me just over a litre of nice thick vegetable soup.

I filled my two largest bowls with soup and then froze two more portions for another week ... sorry freezer, I know I'm supposed to be emptying you!!
 

The two containers of pasty filling went into the fridge until the following day.  Then I got out the pastry from the freezer (yay!!) and let it thaw and come to room temperature, before making myself two lovely and very big pasties.


One to be eaten straight away ...


... and one in the fridge.

I did my workings out the next day and found that counting only the foods I used, and always rounding the points of a penny up, my eight portions of food cost me:

3 potatoes = 24p
1.5 onions = 11p
2 sticks of celery = 7p
3 carrots = 12p

2 tsp dried vegetable stock = 2p
herbs and spices = 10p
2 tsp olive oil = 2p

ready rolled puff pastry = 1.05

Total = £1.73.

As I ate each bowl of soup with a slice of toast that added 5p per slice to the final cost of the meals, so I came in at £1.93.

Under two pounds for eight very filling meals.

Of course, you could add all sorts of additions to the basic starter pan using whatever you have lurking in the freezer or fridge.  Frozen vegetables work just as well as fresh and usually cook a lot quicker ... although cooking gently and for longer can greatly improve the flavours, especially with your onion, celery, carrot starter.  

Once you've made the basic pan of stew you could add different things to the stews, the pasties or change some of the soups a bit by adding curry powder or other spices to half of the amount you have.  You could add sausages, tinned or cooked meat or fish to any of the portions and have something completely different flavour wise.   

I just thought I would share this as a basic idea for cheap, warming foods on these cold dreary days. 

 Tonight, I am having the second pasty for my tea ... and I can't wait.


Sue xx




38 comments:

  1. Do you add something to your stew/pasties - which look delicious - to add protein?
    Carole in NC USA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually, I add a good handful of red lentils which gives them an extra protein boost, but I totally forgot this time. Don't forget there is protein in all foods except sugar and fat, so they do have protein in them.

      Delete
  2. As far as value/bargain goes, I think you have absolutely excelled yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah! well done you, wish some of the people I’ve heard complaining about how expensive it is to eat could take a few tips from you ( mind you a lot of those complaining seem to exist on ready meals and takeaways - yuck!)
    Country Cook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think over the course of this Winter a lot more people will be looking for ways to save their money and perhaps even learn to cook simple, and more nutritious meals for themselves.

      Delete
  4. Extremely frugal. I think the trouble is so many kids aren't bought up to eat fresh veg, let alone cooked up like this. I bought Herbs de Provence when I was first married, first time round, scarcely used them and never bought them again! I know, strange aren't I?!! I use all sorts of other seasonings instead though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll let you into a secret ... the Herbs de Provence jar actually contains cheap supermarket 'basics line' Mixed Herbs, which are almost the same anyway, but tons cheaper. There wasn't a label that said simply Mixed Herbs ... so I just used this one!!

      Delete
  5. Brilliant and looks so tasty
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very tasty week of food for sure. :-)

      Delete
  6. A great way to show how easy it can be to stretch your food items to make several meals. I swear, I could almost taste that creamy soup with a crusty piece of bread. Yum! Ranee (MN) USA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The soup was delicious and actually the highlight of the week if I'm honest. I have one portion in the freezer still so I might buy or make some garlic bread to have with it next week.

      Delete
  7. Thats a good use of the veg. If you like green and brown lentils they go well in vegetable stew and add some great protein to a meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know ... I usually add red lentils to soup for the protein hit, but I totally forgot this time. You'll understand what I mean when I say it was a 'bad back' day. :-(

      Delete
    2. Totally - it send your head in a spin!

      Delete
  8. Looks tasty! I'm terrible for using up freezer stuff only to fill it back up with what I've made! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I NEED to empty the freezer ... says she who has just bought two boxes of reduced priced Lemonade ice lollies. It's like playing Tetris, I had to tip them out of their box, but they fitted in - just!

      Delete
  9. I love using up bits and pieces but would be concerned about the lack of protein in vegetable only dishes. I’m not suggesting they should be full of meat (I don’t eat it) but I’d add pulses or cheese. That would, of course, increase the cost but I think cost has to be balanced with nutrition

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I know, as I have said in answer to other comments, I would usually have added lentils, but I forgot ... we all forget things sometimes. Please remember to always leave a name after your comment if you need to comment via the Anonymous choice.

      Delete
  10. Looks delicious. I think I need to try making pasties. I did it once but mine seemed to lack something. I am all about budget conscious cooking too. This year Thanksgiving will be prepared with food from our freezer, cellar and pantry. I am looking forward to that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did make mine slightly too large, I would have been better making three with that amount of pastry and having some more vegetables on the side ... I was totally podged after eating each one! The secret to tasty pasty fillings is to slightly over-season, it needs to be a stronger taste than if you were eating the contents on their own.

      I hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving. xx

      Delete
  11. Amazing. You do exceptionally well when you do a fridge clean out.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like using things up and creating space.

      Delete
  12. Do you know that here, rutabegas are 59 to 89 cents PER POUND? It is amazing that you can get vegetables so cheaply there. Here a five pound bag of potatoes will cost you $4.99 which works out to over four pounds british.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just checked our prices for rutabagas (turnips) and today in Sainsbury's they are £1.40 a kilo so approx. 70p a pound. The exchange rate today makes that 83 cents for you. A five-pound bag of potatoes would cost us £1.85 at today's prices, although there is also an offer for 5lb (2.5kg) at Sainsbury's for just £1. It's fascinating to find out comparison prices.

      There was a huge debate on a YouTube comments section yesterday about the cost of living in both our countries, with both sides crying poverty. I think what it boils down to is we are all in a very similar situation with petrol/gas prices, home fuel prices, food etc being high and wages not growing to match them.

      I have to say that I hate turnip/swede/rutabagas with a vengeance ... Alan loves them, and as a Scottish man calls them 'neeps' ... as if we aren't all confused enough!!

      Delete
    2. They really are a wonderful add to vegetable soups. When I was there, earlier in the spring, it amazed me that Cara could buy a package of 'winter' vegetables for 79 pence, and cut everything up and toss it in her soup maker and make the most wonderful thick soups. Selling them by the pound is a bit of a shock.

      Delete
  13. I think I need to buy some pastry and try to make pasties, something I have never emde before. Your prices seem unbelievably low. The next time I go shopping, I will write down the prices and make the calculations.
    Hilde in Germany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't forget I am pricing for just the actual ingredients that I used, not the packs of buying them. It would have worked out even cheaper if I had made the pastry myself, but I wanted to start taking things from the freezer and there was the pastry in there that needed using.

      Delete
  14. It all looks absolutely delicious! Well done. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it really was. Simple but delicious.

      Delete
  15. Well, I spent a lot at the grocery store this week as I am hosting Thanksgiving. I make it gluten-free and dairy-free for the sake of my daughter. All of the gluten-free, dairy-free items cost a lot more than the regular items but it all still tastes delicious and my daughter doesn't end up sick so it is worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does make it more expensive when you are shopping for intolerances and allergies doesn't it. Everything here but the pastry would be fine for someone with a dairy and gluten free diet. I am dairy intolerant but fine with gluten so it's not so much of a problem for me, although I do have to be careful how much wheat I include in my diet.

      Delete
  16. You're an inspiration! I'm eternally grateful to have been taught how to cook in home economics lessons at grammar school (not something I learnt at home), I pity the generations that came after me and haven't a clue how to cook. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we were possibly the last generation to learn to cook properly at school. We used to have to watch the teacher make the dish, write down the ingredients she used, sit and work out together how much of everything we needed for the whole class to be able to cook the dish and then two of us would be sent to the corner shop with the shopping list and the money to buy everything.
      When my sons were at secondary school their cookery lessons ... which lasted for just one term each year ... consisted of coming home and telling me that they needed a ready-made pizza base, a jar of pasta sauce and some ready grated cheese!! They killed my house-keeping budget.

      Delete
  17. That looks tasty. I would add soaked butter beans or haricot beans for extra protein and texture. Do you have a lid for your pan to save fuel?
    Nelliegrace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually add lentils, but I forgot this time. :-(

      Of course I have a lid for my pan ... but if I left it on while I took the photos you wouldn't see the food would you!

      Delete
  18. How lovely, not to mention inexpensive! Food is becoming more dear by the day here it seems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually getting quite scary how quickly prices are sneaking up isn't it. I really feel for those on low fixed incomes at the moment, especially with all the lavish Christmas advertising going on.

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.