Friday 4 November 2022

Getting Ruthless ... I'm Eating the Ornaments



Well Halloween has been and gone and the little pumpkins have been sat in the kitchen waiting to be used.  I didn't get around to making the soup the other day, so I did it today instead.


It was a simple enough job to slice the pumpkins in half, remove the seeds ...


... and then chop them up a bit smaller and add them to the Remoska with a chopped onion, some celery and a couple of big fat garlic cloves.  With a sprinkle of salt and pepper and then a glug of oil they were then left to their own devices for an hour while I read my way around blogland with my morning coffee.


Puttering away while I enjoyed my coffee.


Once everything was lovely and soft, I tipped the vegetables into a pan added some boiling water and a teaspoon of stock powder and left it to cook on for another 10 minutes before whizzing up to a lovely thick consistency.

So my two tiny pumpkins and their veggie friends gave me two gloriously colourful bowls of soup.  One for lunch immediately and one for tomorrow ... if I can wait that long.

And my little Halloween display has changed for a while ...

... to this.

My painting, the one done by my son which is usually on the wall here is currently at the framers being framed, so I thought I could get away with a little blue-ish display for a while.  I'm making good use of your card Sue.  😀


Sue xx



23 comments:

  1. I'm trying to find something to do with mine - I'm not that fond of pumpkin soup. I wonder if it's nicer when roasted though. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's much nicer when roasted, especially if you add garlic and onion. It's a very rich flavour instead of a watery bland one.

      Delete
  2. Edible ornaments, that's the way to go, Sue! Your soup sounds (and looks) delicious and I love your display, the blue seascape painting is beautiful. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have remembered to wash them, or at the very least dust them before the cooking though. Luckily, I got away with it and my soup wasn't even remotely dust flavoured!!

      Delete
    2. Do you peel them before/after cooking? (before pureeing them)

      Delete
    3. Nope not peeled before or after, the skin literally melts away taking all the goodness into the soup ... and perhaps a bit of dust in my case ;-)

      Delete
  3. The new display is lovely, Sue, is that embroidery in the frame?
    Delicious looking soup too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually a little print of a flower on a scrap of fabric but with glitter added for texture, at a quick glance it does look embroidered. It's yet another framed card, one that I bought to send but couldn't bear to part with.

      Delete
    2. I can see why you didn't part with it, it's really pretty.

      Delete
  4. Looks like Sue's card deserves a little frame all of its own!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you. I have never made pumpkin soup. I may have to give that a try.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, it's delicious. I may have to replicate it ... but with a bigger pumpkin next time.

      Delete
  6. Waste not, want not. The soup looks delicious. And the seeds are sooo good when toasted. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnily enough even though I like the pumpkin seeds that you can buy in the shops or that are on bread, I have never enjoyed home-cooked ones. I'm obviously doing something drastically wrong!!

      Delete
  7. Thanks Sue. I'm so glad that the card has been recycled.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be framed once I find a suitable frame, in the meantime like so many other things here, it's being left to its own devices. :-)

      Delete
  8. Sorry I've missed some of your recent posts, but your soup looks wonderful. I also have some of those cute 59p pumpkins and I know I'm going to have to cut them up soon, but they are still so pretty. 🎃🎃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you'd been missing for a while. I hope everything is okay in your neck of the woods. The pumpkins are just so lovely aren't they, and after tasting the soup I got from them I'm sorry I didn't buy a couple more make a bigger display.
      Take care. xx

      Delete
  9. I make all our soup in the big Remoska and it really enriches the flavour because the veg are roasted. Must make a batch tomorrow as we ate the last portions this afternoon as a four oclock first course. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a cost-effective kitchen gadget for anything that you would normally roast or bake in the oven isn't it.

      Delete
  10. The soup sounds tasty and fa cheaper than buying a tin these days. In Co-op they are £1.50 a can! Love the pictures at the end - the x-stitch? one looks so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was shocked at the prices of the tinned soups from the Co-op, someone on YouTube was taste testing some of the vegan vegetable ones and the cheapest was £1.09, supposedly two portions but in his dish it as definitely only really enough for one person. Including the cost of the pumpkins ... which made it a lot more expensive than soups I would usually make at home ... I got two good portions for about 80p each.

      No x-stitch, one is just a paper card and the other a scrap of fabric with the flower printed on and then blue glitter on top. Very unusual and bought when we lived near Bodnant Craft Centre.

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.