Monday 28 November 2022

Only a Few Days to Go


 One of the perks of having a blog is being able to trawls the archives and see for yourself exactly what you did last year, or the year before or in my case back in 2008.  When I was looking at my dusty radiator shelf the other day and slightly berating myself for lack of dusting, I salved my conscience with 'Well I'll be decorating it for Christmas next week'.  Then I tried to picture in my head how I had done it last year and came up with ... a blank!!

It took me less than a minute this morning to find this shot from last year and then I remembered.  This year some things may be similar, but others will be different as looking at all the other photos that I have, it seems I've sold some of my pots, used up some of the things.

And the littlest tree from last year is now happily planted in the garden, so he won't be coming back in ... but he might still have some lights put on him to brighten the end of the path. 

I have traditionally ... well since we got married back in 2007 ... put the Christmas decorations up on our anniversary, which is the 4th of December, and it suits us just fine.  This year though it's been nice to see all the neighbours gradually decorating their houses a smidge earlier than usual.  I think we are all in need of a little bit of cheer after all the bad news, bad weather and bad fuel price predictions.

It seems nothing will make us have a dark and dreary Christmas, now I just need to go and have a rummage through the various boxes and see if I have any Christmas jumpers left to wear and start planning what I have and where it's going.  

After all there's only a few days to go now.


Sue xx



20 comments:

  1. Yes, isn't it funny how we cannot remember one year to the next! Planning to start on mine today. At least a few places will get dusted in tbe process! I actually dusted last week, but this old house, sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being in such a small space with not too many pockets of clutter, dusting usually is a ten-minute job for the whole home, but still I neglect to do it somehow. Once it's done for Christmas with all the extra bits and pieces dotted around everywhere, it doesn't get done again until the decorations come down ... I know, I'm a lazy so and so.

      Delete
  2. I usually start in December - and it helps get me in the Christmas spirit. I have quite a few bins full downstairs in my basement but I take my time. It brings back lots of happy memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have one little cardboard box under my bed and a basket of Christmas things on top of the wardrobe, I do need to see what I have though as I can't remember what is in them and if Alan has anything of mine over in his house.

      Delete
  3. I use my blog as an archive, for checking back on previous years. I have put the Nativity Tableau up today, as Advent has started, but done nothing else yet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a brilliant resource isn't it, and being able to look back sends me down a rabbit warren of my own writing.

      Delete
  4. Good for you, Sue. You're right, the lights and sparkles are so very cheering.
    I am so looking forward to starting the online Advent Calendar on Thursday. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been enjoying playing the games already, and I'm really looking forward to clicking on the baubles each day.

      Delete
  5. Yes, the blog is a kind of diary, and that makes it a very valuable piece of writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a very valuable resource isn't it, I'm glad I started all those years ago. I maybe need to go back and read through my own life again.

      Delete
  6. I am hoping to get the trees up and decorated this weekend. It all depends on how much I get completed on the sewing, the quilt, and the rug. I have been pinning like a mad woman today and hope to get more done so all I need to do is sew!!!!

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like it's going to be amazing. Have fun decorating and give those poor fingers a rest from pinning! xx

      Delete
  7. I have fairy lights up all year round - even in August! I'm glad to hear that your little tree is thriving outdoors.
    Happiest of anniversaries for 4th December! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our next door neighbour has multi-coloured fairy lights up at his living room window all year round, this time of year is the only time it appears normal. Of course, fairy lights indoors twinkling away are perfectly normal and very necessary to lift spirits sometimes.

      Thank you, it is our 15th, longer than either of Alan's other marriages ... we must be doing something right!!

      Delete
  8. I think your shelf looks quite lovely without Christmas decorations, look forward to seeing what you do.

    Like Vix, I have lights up all year round and they are switched on nearly every night from at least September through until April. And Happy Anniversary, x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a handy shelf all through the year for being useful and pleasing to the eye. I don't leave fairy lights up, but I do enjoy the glow from my salt lamp all year round, it casts a lovely light from when I wake up until I go to bed. Thank you, this year we are off to a Christmas Artisan Market and breakfast out on Sunday to celebrate.

      Delete
  9. We had thick fog here again yesterday so could hardly see any outdoor decorations anywhere. Today it is sunny and clear but frosty outside and I am hoping DH might just put the lights on the outdoor tree. Happy Anniversary to you both. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had the first fog of the year this morning, well maybe more like an extremely heavy mist really, it was actually quite magical. Thank you so much.

      Delete
  10. You are so right about folk wanting Christmas cheer more than ever this year. We'll have to wait a bit longer before putting up decorations because we have 3 dogs milling around and can't risk doggy games that involve said decorations! Lots of preparation under way though - lovely
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are very lucky none of our dogs or cats have ever messed with the decorations, well not after being told not to at the start of every season. Although you can see that Ginger is tempted to sometimes, so we just give him one bauble to play with on the floor and he soon loses interest!!

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.