Friday 16 June 2023

Hot Days and Hot Dogs

 

There's not been a lot of dog walking over this past few days, the weather has just been too hot for little friends wearing fur coats.

I have been getting up earlier than usual, feeding the trio of furries and then walking the dogs on a quick loop along the canal and back home.  Doing this means that there are plenty of surfaces to walk on, more than enough things to sniff at and just enough fresh air and distance to satisfy a bouncy Jack Russell but also appease an unwilling Pug.


We start off along the road and come down a set of ancient stone steps from the bridge to the canal, and this is the sight that meets us.


Then after a bend or two we are on the homeward straight, passing narrowboats and little cruisers until home is in sight.  Mavis occasionally gets to say good morning to her best friend Maeve if she is playing in her back garden as it backs onto the canal.  It has trellis fencing at the bottom which is ideal for doggies to greet each other through, and many doggy kisses are exchanged.

Once home a rewarding gravy bone and a drink of water are the order of the day ...

... before everyone collapses in a heap around the living room.

The dogs and Ginger switch from beds, to carpet, to tiled floor and back again many times during the day depending on their comfort levels, warmth and state of mind.

Me, I just make a coffee and settle down with my feet up for a while, watch a bit of YouTube or read my book and listen as the washing machine does it's thing, and I defer doing anything else until it is all pegged out on the washing line.


Sue xx



14 comments:

  1. That looks like a perfect early morning walk for all of you, and very peaceful too.

    Given how much I love heat here's something I never thought I would say - I am ready for this hot weather to break and get back to the (seemingly) endless Cumbrian damp and drizzle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely and peaceful first thing, just a few dog walkers and the odd narrowboat chugging by.

      Funnily enough this morning when I pulled the bedroom curtains open I thought 'wouldn't it be lovely to see greyish skies and a bit of rain for a change'. I don't think I could live in a country with year round sunshine. I need proper changeable weather.

      Delete
  2. It's far too hot for me too and I'm not wearing a fur coat! I'm hoping the weather will cool off soon 🤪

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Far too hot for me too, I'm a shade chaser along with the dogs. :-)

      Delete
  3. I’m fed up with this hot weather. I’m a fair skinned Celt better suited to spring and autumn. I’m trying to sew but it’s nit going well so far! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Spring and Autumn, this is my least favourite part of the year ... and Alan's favourite.

      Delete
  4. Too hot for me as well - and Betty, she's sleeping her life away at the moment, too hot for her to be energetic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, our dogs are turning into very good sleepers this weather. Virtually all day and definintely all night. The highlights of their days are mealtimes, animals on the television and the early morning walks.

      Delete
  5. What a nice morning walk. The fur babies look like they are enjoying the time sleepig.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a nice short, but just long enough, loop that satisfies Mavis and tires Suky out, but you're right, they enjoy the sleeping even more.

      Delete
  6. Your walk looks lovely and you have a good strategy for it. I hope everyone survives the heat well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It suits us all, and yes we are just about surviving. :-)

      Delete
  7. I love all the furries camped out on the floor in that last photo.
    I've trekked across the Sahara on a camel in the middle of August and still not been too hot. When the sun's shining and it's warm here I get up before 5am as I can't stand to miss a minute of it. My parents were the same! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could NEVER holiday with you. I would be the puddle under the parasol praying for ice!!

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.