Thursday 1 June 2023

Food, Shopping, Shoes and Trucks ... Where Did May Go?



I seem to have blinked and suddenly May is over.  

We got through so much during May, work-wise, holiday-wise, food-wise ... I think I've eaten far too much food recently.  Even though we both got small portions of everything while on holiday, we still came home feeling podged ... and I was 2lbs heavier!!

Anyway the month has whizzed by, so much so that all of these photos were taken to be shared with you on the blog during May and were never used.  As I've now gone over to the June folder on my computer I thought that I would share them all today and start off June with a last look at May.

The top photo is my basket of 'you should use these things up soon' foods


It was a month of eating simply and using up what I had in, also of bulk cooking at least one thing each week to use over the course of the week.  This time it was penne pasta.


I only really shopped twice, this was the second lot of purchases.  A total spend of £13.34 spent at Sainsbury's buying only what I needed to make what I already had into satisfying meals ... along with two more of the tubs of spread while they were on such a good offer.


My mustard sneakers on the mustard rug just made me smile one day, so I decided to take a photo to remember the moment.  Seeing the photo here made me wonder how many years I have had these shoes for and looking HERE it would seem they are three years old.  They are a bit faded now compared to then, but still as comfy.


I had a roll of Aldi shortcrust pastry that was past it's best buy date in the fridge, so I decided to make up a batch of little tartlets with random bits of veg from the fridge and topped them with cheese.  The same filling was used in the pasty made from all the rolled out offcuts of pastry.  It made for a tasty lunch for three days for me and one day for Alan.


The dogs waiting for Alan to appear at the door ... form an orderly queue ladies.  😄


My little greenhouse was moved to the garden mid-month.

Rather than buy a Gro-Bag I decided to simply use one of the bags of compost that I already had for my main tomato plants.  I thought this would also weigh down this flimsy growing space.  Everything is looking so much bigger and better today, they are relishing their position in the morning sun.


And finally, just because it was the last saved photo in my May file, my elder son's new work cab.  

He is taking to the road again after a couple of years of being the garage foreman for Thomas Armstrong in Cumbria, and will be driving their number one heavy haulage tractor unit which bears a memorial to a former manager.  He simply could not resist the urge to be in control of the star of the company fleet and he will be taking it to as many truck shows each year as he can, as well as driving it with some of the heaviest loads that the company transports on a day to day basis.

So that was May, I wonder what June will be bringing us?


Sue xx


16 comments:

  1. May has gone quickly - all those bank holidays...That is one very impressive cab. I keep looking at my own children and marvelling that they have grown up from toddling poppets into responsible working women in the blink of an eye. Does time speed up as we get older?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly think it does, even my eldest son is commenting on that frequently ... and he's just 42. :-)

      Delete
  2. Hello! Your pasta dish looks delicious! And June? How is it possible?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't beat a bit of pasta can you, it's one of my favourite meals, and when it's ready cooked and in the fridge ready for action it's even easier to rustle up a quick tea on a warm day.

      Delete
  3. I will wave at the truck/depot when I go past ☺️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll tell him to toot if you wave ... he's got an impressive array of lights and horns. :-)

      Delete
  4. May has gone quickly in some ways but dragged in others. I think I'm waiting for this horrible NE wind that had plagued the East coast to do one! WE've had no rain for over a month now and my garden is wind burnt and dry as a bone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There has been a distinct lack of rain hasn't there. We've had just one wet night and lots of sunny days, but as you say there has been a real nip in the air at times with that wind.

      Delete
  5. No broad beans in your tartlets? I like your son's company car!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really like broad beans, although I should give them another try tastes do change don't they, and they are a healthy addition to any tart or salad.

      Delete
  6. May did disappear very quickly. I wonder if June will be the same.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope not, I do like June as it's the time when everything in the garden still seems fresh and not overgrown or overbaked like it can be in late July and August.

      Delete
  7. Wow! That's a huge truck. I am in awe at how truck drivers manoeuvre these huge vehicles!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing to watch him drive some of his trucks, he once manoeuvred a truck and trailer in reverse down an alleyway with just one inch of space on each side of his wing mirrors. All his training was done in the army and he's had his HGV licences since he was 18, and back then his trucks were even bigger as he was a tank transporter driver. I guess transporting a digger or a flatbed of building supplies is a lot lighter than two Chieftain tanks, rather him than me for sure.

      Delete
  8. Awww, I love the dogs waiting for your dad and that photo of your feet in the mustard plimsols on the matching rug.
    That truck is huge! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They would have a long wait for my Dad!! ;-)

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.