Tuesday 30 May 2023

From McDonald's to a Stately Home


We're just back from a four day weekend away in Hereford.  We stayed at the Holme Lacey House Warner Leisure hotel and had a lovely relaxing 70's weekend break ... although if I hear one more Suzi Quatro track I will scream.  😄
 
We left all the furry children in the care of Jason and Tash and set off in good time, although travelling on the Friday of a Bank Holiday weekend was not the best of ideas, but we finally made it to our destination after six hours on the road.  

At about the halfway point we stopped for a while, the services was packed but it was a very necessary stop.  I find it difficult to accept that Alan is still doing all the long distance driving and I always feel guilty.  

Unfortunately, ALL the queues for food at the services were ridiculous except for MacDonald's which was having a very brief lull as we arrived.  We made the best of a bad job and I discovered that MacDonald's black coffee is actually very tasty and less than half the price of a small Americano from Costa.  Why didn't I discover this years ago when we used to commute from Cumbria to Berkshire every week for our jobs.  I still don't like MacDonald's food though ... is it even actually food?  It sat like a lead balloon in my stomach for hours after I had eaten it.


The front doors of the hotel, a welcome sight after the long journey.


We had a wander around part of the grounds opposite the doors just after we arrived, so that Alan could point you in the direction of the view.


It was lovely sitting on the wall and drinking in the rolling hills and watching the wildlife ... I do miss having a view from home.


Just one of the 'proper posh' ceilings in the main rooms.

We were sat waiting for a quiz to start when I took this ... sadly we didn't do very well, so we had to go and commiserate with ourselves over a drink on the terrace, now that went so much better. 😁


Each night there was entertainment from the 70's.  

The first night was a Carpenters tribute act, not bad at all.  The second night a Fleetwood Mac cover band, I don't know much about Fleetwood Mac but Alan was impressed, and then on the final night the room was really rocking with T. Rox.  A T.Rex tribute act but who also sang songs by Mud, Slade, Bryan Ferry and even a couple of Bay City Rollers tracks.  They really got everyone up and dancing the night away.


Of course Alan couldn't resist sitting on one of the lions for a photo opportunity.

It was a relaxing few days and we both enjoyed most aspects of it, especially the food as it was so nice not to have to think of what to make every night ... or have to wash up after it.  

But somehow now that I am back home I am glad that I'm back to simplicity, and to be honest I would much rather have my caravan back and the little clubhouse that was there if you wanted entertainment on a Friday or Saturday night, or could be easily ignored if you just wanted your own company and a glass of wine on your own patio with snoring dogs at your feet.


As we drove through the gates of the hotel to head for home I was actually looking forward to getting home and my own bed ... even if I did have to think what was for tea and wonder what I had in the freezer.


Sue xx




24 comments:

  1. Goodness me, the journey to Hereford sounded a bit of a slog.
    I love that photo of Alan astride the lion, that's exactly what Jon would do! The ceiling of the stately home is stunning. It sounds like great fun and a perfect escape for a few days. Despite it being classed as the Midlands I've only visited Hereford a handful of times, its a beautiful part of the country but a right pain when you get stock behind a potato wagon or a combine harvester, a short hop can take hours! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't as bad as it could have been the 4 hour journey took us just over six hours excluding the time at the services for a much needed coffee and snack. It is a beautiful part of the country for sure, and luckily once we were off the motorways the roads were much clearer.

      Alan always seems to find something to sit on, hide behind or give bunny ears to. My heart was in my mouth once in the Louvre when he stood between two ancient busts on plinths ... as I'm sure the security guard's would have been, had he spotted us.

      Delete
  2. I can second McDonald's black coffee is actually decent and not too expensive. I must confess the older I get I'm reluctant to leave my home comforts and my own bed. I think when I retire I'll treat myself to a National Trust card and go visit lots of stately homes/castles etc and push myself to go more places xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. National Trust membership is well worth the money, you only have to visit a couple of places a year and use their carparks to recoup your money, we've been members for about 10 years now. There's nothing as comfy as your own bed is there. :-)

      Delete
  3. That sounds a lovely weekend. I might check that hotel out myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very beautiful hotel but has not got as good a reputation as some of their others. We slightly preferred the one we went to last year, Alvaston Hall, near Chester.

      Delete
  4. We sometimes come back a day or two early especially if the weather isn’t playing ball. Our own bed calls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I could have stayed any longer than just the weekend, some folk were there for two weeks!!

      Delete
  5. Hello! I can vouch for McDonalds coffee too! A lovely weekend, I am sure. Like you, I like going, but I always love coming home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh I've discovered very late how good MacDonald's coffee is haven't I. :-)

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a lovely break. I think I like the sounds of your caravan too with entertainment as an option, not a must. Love the pix of Alan on the lion. The black coffee from McDonalds in the US and Canada is excellent and you can ask for a Senior coffee and get it even cheaper. It is the only thing worth buying there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh ... I wonder if there is a 'senior coffee' option here in the UK too?

      Delete
  7. Wow. That view IS amazing. Thanks to Allen to pointing it out. I would have missed it altogether. :) It is nice to hear the old music again, but (and I know this will make me sound like an old git), but it is so loud! My ears ring for hours. I really can't bear it, and I'm not sure when this happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, we both loved the wide open spaces again after sitting in our little garden so often. Yes, the music was loud but Alan is a bit deaf these days so he enjoyed that, I just had to get used to it over the course of the evening.

      Delete
  8. Your journey sounds horrendous, the perils of travelling on a Bank Holiday weekend. Glad the rest of your weekend made it worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was just so much longer than we anticipated, but we had the car's air con and the ability not to have to rush, so we just took it as it was.

      Delete
  9. I always like going away but, just as you say, coming home is really lovely too. I'm very glad you have had such a pleasant time and, yes, that view is gorgeous. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It only took me a day of being back in my own home, to realise that actually I prefer being at home to being away.

      Delete
  10. Lovely to go away but lovely to get home or east west home is best as Mum used to say!
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is lovely being back at home, Alan already wants to plan a longer holiday ... I don't!!

      Delete
  11. Holme Lacey is the only Warners hotel at which we have stayed, we were a little disappointed at the food, later we discovered we could have paid more for a different less “canteen” style menu. The holiday is memorable as we went into the dining room we were met by our former neighbours, their daughter was at a drumming course in Bromyard so this hotel was convenient. Although I said former neighbours they are still technically neighbours, we had moved 100 yards round the corner, we can see our former home and theirs from our back bedroom. We were not over impressed with the evening entertainment - not really us. Madeleine (aka Knellergal in Ravelry)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking at a lot of the reviews it does have some of the worst ones unfortunately for some aspects of service at the hotel and for it being the hardest hotel to reach.

      Although the quality of the food was great, the Market Kitchen dining room did have the tables quite close together, which was our only negative for it. The Brasserie32 however was very spacious and with a lovely menu, although they seemingly did struggle more with breakfasts ... luckily we had our breakfast in the Market Kitchen every day. Alan in particular LOVED the 70's themed entertainment.

      How lovely that you met up with your former neighbours.

      Delete
  12. What a lovely place to stay. I am also very happy to get home after a holiday away. My own bed, and my own food. Oh I love McDonalds coffee it wins hands down in contests here.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think I am definintely happier at home ... and it would save us so much money if only Alan would agree and not need all these breaks. Oh, I am so late to the McDonald's coffee party aren't I ... lol. :-)

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.