Monday 1 May 2023

And with a Final Flourish ... I've Bust Through the Budget



So my non-challenge Challenge of living off the money that I made through selling things last year came to an end yesterday, with a final 75p being spent on top of a £10 Booths voucher.  Adding that to the money spent during April it sent me over the budget.

It was a good job I looked in my bag yesterday as the voucher would have run out last night, so we made a quick pit stop on our way out and bought just enough to make good use of it.  

The half dozen eggs and Vimto were Alan's choices ... it seemed only fair to buy him something with the voucher as he does help me collect the money on the Booths card by having a copy of mine in his wallet and using it every time he shops there ... and the larger pack of eggs and pastry case were my choice.  We are going to Mum's to watch the Coronation next weekend and I thought being able to rustle up a quiche for us all to share, alongside the little sandwiches and scones that I plan to make would be a good idea.


 A final Challenge spend of 75p in cash and a £10 Booths voucher.

I'll not list all the expenditures as to be honest it's all gone a bit to pot and my challenge diary money reckoning page is a scribbly mess.  I realised yesterday that I had included some items for the foodbank in my spending, that had been bought on the same receipt as my shopping in March and I had completely missed off a small spend in January of £5.85.  

I went down a worm hole of trying to make corrections and then thought, 'what the heck ... does it really matter'.  So as far as I can work out by the last day of April I had spent my full challenge pot of £592.20 plus an extra £12.57.  So, basically I have bought everything that I needed and occasionally just fancied in thee first four months of the year for an approximate total of £604.77.

Which averages out to just over £151 a month, or £35.57 per week for the first 17 weeks of this year, and I'm happy with that.  Especially as it also includes non-food items such as haircuts, books and an MOT.

Although the Challenge as such is over, I have enjoyed keeping tabs on myself so much that I will be continuing to log what I spend in the challenge diary and see how I react to the rules being even more relaxed, even if the rules were only shadowy guidelines in my head to start with.  

Maybe I'll spend the next four months just logging the money that I spend on food, now that would be interesting to me while I continue to work through the Food Cupboard food stash.  

In fact I have just re-photographed the food that I have here at home and I am intending to almost re-start the Food Cupboard Challenge ... only this time I will not be moving food from place to place as gaps appear.  Doing that has meant that some places look just as full as when I started back in January.

Do you want me to continue to mention my spending on here or are you all totally fed up with facts figures and photos of my shopping?  I'll leave it up to you.  😀


Sue xx




24 comments:

  1. I like your posts, a good mix of facts, figures, daily life, sensitive observations mixed up with sound common sense:) x

    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep ... I'm here, there and everywhere in the grand scheme of things. Being slightly erratic keeps me sane. :-)

      Delete
  2. i would still be interested x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always interested. I keep a spreadsheet of just about everything I spend in every category, been doing that for quite a few years and I find it fascinating to look back and see how constant some categories are, and how others fluctuate (and we won't look too deeply into the food & utilities columns, because that it just too damn depressing).

    Although I do not share my own expenditure (sorry, does that make me a bit of a leech?) I do find it a tremendous mental help to see the areas where my buying seems to be in line with blog friends, and when my numbers vary wildly it is helpful to be able to pinpoint what causes that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sound even more organised than me, my organisational skills seem to be diminishing by the year, perhaps it's time to retire from the day job. :-)

      You're not a leech at all, just interested ... and it's amazing how so many of us have so much in common isn't it.

      Delete
  4. Its always fun and interesting reading peoples spending ,meal planning and eating I have gleaned a few ideas from you ,it is also part of my evening ( or morning ) entertainment as television rarely entertains me more frustrates me so " it's a yes from me " :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rarely sit down to watch actual television these days, instead I set the Freeview box up to record things when they are on and then have a binge watch every now and then of my favourite programmes. I also get to whizz forward through any adverts this way, they drive me nuts.

      In the mornings I usually catch up on some of my favourite YouTube channels over my first couple of coffees of the day. Blog reading and blogging ... my time ... comes after a couple of hours of actual work at the day job. :-)

      Delete
  5. It's a yes from me too please! I always enjoy reading about what you have bought and what meals you make. For as long as you fancy writing about it, I'll enjoy reading about it 👍
    You made your money pot stretch really well 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did reasonably well, I do think I could have done much better with more effort, but it was a good experiment. :-)

      Delete
  6. I always enjoy your posts so it's a 'yes' from me too. I keep a record of all our spending as we are on a fixed income and with the raging inflation I have to make sure our spending does not exceed our income. Always good to get ideas from blogging friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the keeping a record of our spending that makes us much more sensible isn't it. I know for a fact if I didn't do this I would wander the aisles of the supermarket throwing food into the trolley willy nilly and very soon live to regret it.

      Delete
  7. Yes from me as I find it interesting to see the difference in costs from the UK to my small corner of Canada.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really good to compare isn't it. I've added your blog to my sidebar, it's time I started following you ... gosh that sounded more sinister than I meant it too!! ;-)

      Delete
  8. I find it interesting, so a yes from me as well.

    Wendy C - Bribie Is, Oz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really heart-warming that so many of you are interested in my dodgy maths and wild day to day ramblings ... thank you. :-)

      Delete
  9. And a yes please from me too. It's all so interesting and I think you've done brilliantly with the challenge, I really do.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Joy. I could have done better I guess but I'm pleased to have lasted four months. :-)

      Delete
  10. Yes please, I enjoy all of your challenges and comparison blogs interspersed with dog and cat updates, thank you. Jan in Castle Gresley

    ReplyDelete
  11. yes I'm interested

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it's really encouraging to know that I'm not boring you all with numbers. ;-)

      Delete
  12. I am always interested...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, you have been a really good blog reader and commenter, I do appreciate it. xx

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.