Monday 15 May 2023

Food Shopping ... and Monday Meal Prep

 


Although the money part of the challenge is now over (I ran out of cash), I am still shopping mindfully and making sure that I only buy what I really need ... and of course the occasional treat.

This week I bought the items above from Booths while we were there on Saturday morning for Alan's now almost compulsory weekend breakfast bacon roll.  Of course I never refuse to go with him as he treats me to a toasted teacake and a coffee ... it would be rude not to.  😉


We had to nip to Sainsbury's before we went home for some printer paper, so I took the chance to browse the plant based offerings.  My usual spread was on offer, but only in the smaller tubs.  At first I thought, no that's too much plastic, then I thought but that would be a handy sized tub for freezing leftovers or single portions of  curry etc ... so I bought two.


This week I want to try and use up all of the fruits and vegetables in the fridge drawers, some things have been in there for far too long.  So this Monday's meal prep consisted of chopping some of the vegetables for a salad mix and some to make a tray of roasted veggies.  I washed and wrapped what was left of the celery after using some in both of my prepared trays and took the outer leaves of the lettuce off and wrapped it carefully ready for use.


Of course once the roasted vegetables were out of the oven it would have been silly not to have some for my lunch, so I made a quick portion of cous cous and sat in the sunshine, enjoying the fruits of my labours.

As well as the veggies shown here I have some cooked beetroot, half a bag of Tenderstem broccoli and half a box of cherry tomatoes, so I want to make sure I eat everything up this week.  I'm on a mission to eat more healthily as I have let things slip a bit recently ... gosh it's so easy to do isn't it.


Sue xx



10 comments:

  1. Hi, first time commenting (I think!). I would like to thank you for mentioning your plant based spread a few months ago - we are converts! We are a family of mainly vegans, but a butter alternative was hard to find until I tried this one. Thickly buttered toast is back in the menu. I sound like I am getting paid to advertise it - I promise I’m not! Now I just have to find a plant based milk & cheese I like. Glenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to the comments section. :-)

      It is really tasty isn't it, especially for an old ex-Lurpak addict like me. It's so very similar, and the block makes brilliant pastry with some Trex added for shortness. The cheeses that I like best are Violife Extra Mature ... I buy the block and grate it myself, Applewood Smoked is delicious in sandwiches and has a bacony flavour for anyone missing that, and surprising I have recently discovered the Aldi Plant label cheese, the bag of grated cheese is great for adding to things last minute and melts brilliantly in a cheese toasty.

      Now I am fancying cheese ... I wonder why!!

      Delete
  2. The roasted veg and the salad look tasty. I so agree about the temptation to slip into eating unhealthily - I managed 10 days of healthy eating a few weeks ago, now I'm back to square one!
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We start off with such good intentions don't we! I always start feeling really good and then let things slide. I am trying not to replace anything that's not really 'healthy' as I eat my way through snacks and packets from the cupboards. If it's not there I can't eat it, and if I have things prepared that are, I can.

      Delete
  3. My goodness! Those veggies look delicious! Thanks for the idea. I learn so much from you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to have them ready for action when I'm hungry, and stops unhealthy nibbling. :-)

      Delete
  4. Your roasted veggies look wonderful. I bet they tasted great over the couscous.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely quick lunch, I am always forgetting how much simpler it it to have cous cous rather than rice ... and less washing up too.

      Delete
  5. Roasted veg are so nice - I often roast beetroot too if I buy the fresh ones that are not already done in vinegar. I found wholemeal couscous in Booths which is nice too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny I never buy raw beetroot only the vacuum packed cooked stuff or pickled in a jar. I might try putting some of the cooked beetroot into a tray of roasted vegetables next time I do some, I bet it would bring out the flavour even more. :-)

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.