Wednesday 17 May 2023

Open Doors, Big Fat Baby Birds ... and Reading in the Sun

 

It's been sunny here for the last few days, but unless you are sat directly in the sunshine it's still very cold.  

I might have put the summer weight duvet on the bed the other day, but it's topped with my old patchwork quilt and now the blue lightweight quilt as well.  If it gets any colder my winter dressing gown is within reach to throw on top of that.  I feel as though I am being buried in layers and layers, but cosy is always the way forward.

Our little patio area between the house and the lodge is a real suntrap early in the mornings and if I sit still with my book and my coffee I can watch birds on the birdfeeder as they greedily divest it of it's supply of fat-balls and seeds.  By the end of this week our stock will have run dry and they can go to forage for themselves along the canal and the river.  And not a moment too soon either as this morning there was a chubby little bird sat inside the little 'house' area being fed by it's Mum ... she needs to teach it to forage for itself now it was bigger than her!!


With both our doors open all day the dogs love Summertime as it means they can go from house to lodge and back again as often as they want to, checking who is eating and who they can try and beg a tasty morsel from, they know that they have a better chance with Alan than me though. 😁 

As you can see from the photo the shade was catching up with me and it was almost time to move along to the bench which stays in full sun all through the afternoon, which was very welcome as in the shade it was still quite chilly.


Sue xx


18 comments:

  1. It looks and sounds completely blissful - apart from the cold which should sort out soon, I hope. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it does, I don't like a lot of heat but having it this cold in mid-May seems unusual and it's really holding back some of the plants.

      Delete
  2. You are right about getting cosy - "buried in multiples layers" is my default setting :-)

    We have been doing the same as you - able to sit in the sun when there is no breeze, but the rest of the time it is still very chilly. Seems wrong that there is not yet any residual warmth in the ground to help stave off a chill but in a month it will be Midsummer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps it will be the chilliest Midsummer we ever have ... I hope not.

      Delete
  3. The summer is flying by with such changeable weather. I too have been making the most of any sunny moments to sit outside with a book. It's been a lot of that - lovely in the sun but chilly out of it - type of weather. We too have lots of young birds in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to see all the young birds isn't it, I bet even they are feeling this chilly weather.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like the Princess and the Pea but with all the layers on top. I have stopped feeding now too, so I hope they can fend for themselves - we have hundreds of worms in this garden so should not go short of delicacies. Enjoy your sun time.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha ... exactly that. My friend had a brilliant print on her wall of a character from a children's book, in bed under layer upon layer of quilts, just like a reverse Princess and the Pea. I'm wracking my brain trying to think of the characters name, but no joy!!

      Delete
  5. I have that problem with sun. Start off sitting close to the house, then gradually move in stages towards the back of the garden. Yes, it is still a bit chilly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand now why cats travel around the garden following the sun and avoiding the shade. :-)

      Delete
  6. We've had frost warnings at night, but I am so grateful for the sunny days we have had! Warm enough for short sleeves. Summer's coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily we have had no late frosts this May, but I bet it's been very close some nights.

      Delete
  7. Hello! I love being cozy under all the covers! We will have frost tonight here in Pennsylvania, but the afternoon sun has been lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's something very comforting about being tucked up all warm and cosy after a long day isn't there. :-)

      Delete
  8. A lovely Secret Garden for sure. Enjoy it.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love it, it's almost the smallest garden we have ever had and I actually think it's one of my favourites.

      Delete
  9. What a beautiful garden you have made and it will soon be warm enough to sit out. I chase the shade all day as I bet burned very easily. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that it's practical, pretty and on it's way to being more edible ... and Alan loves the patio when the sun is out and it's warm enough for sunbathing.

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.