Friday 8 September 2023

Mavis and Suky - Two Days of Adventure

 

I took the dogs to the groomers yesterday.

 I don't know whether it was the uncertainty of her Dad being away for work, it being so early in the morning or her just wanting to be back on the riverbank but Mavis did not rush in the door to greet the groomers the way she usually does, indeed I had to step back out of the salon, pick her up and lift her purposefully inside.

I drove away feeling very guilty ... was she trying to tell me something?

She was much better when I went back to pick her up an hour and a half later and waited patiently while I settled the bill ... gulp!!

As soon as they got home, both dogs had their usual long drink and settled down to sleep away the stress of being bathed, partially dried and having their nails clipped. 

 They stayed there pretty much all day.


To make up for yesterdays 'torture' I took them to their favourite park this morning.  Just two minutes away by car and with lots to sniff at.


We all walked around and bench hopped, even at 9.30am it was getting too hot for me and Suky.


The grass was long, gloriously damp in some places and soaking wet in others, and my shoes got pretty saturated but both dogs loved to flop on it and cool off.  

Unfortunately, there were no people to watch so Mavis had to make do with watching a cloud of Hedge Sparrows settling on the ground, then flying around for a moment and then retreating into the bushes before doing it all over again.  

She was fascinated.

I think this look just about sums up this morning so beautifully.

'This is a better day Mum, thank you.'

She's  always had eyes that speak to me.  💖


Sue xx



26 comments:

  1. Two smart girls and they seem to have forgive you. Our granddaughter has to take her Chug to the vets to have his nails clipped. Think it's the Chihuahua genes but to hear the screams he makes, you would think he was being murdered.
    Mavis is giving you a look of love in the last photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither of our dogs like having their nails clipped, but Suky has such sensitive feet that it's impossible for us to do them, luckily our groomer has a Pug of her own so she just about manages to get most of Suky's done before it becomes too much.

      Mavis does that look of love so well doesn't she. :-)

      Delete
  2. Hopefully they will feel cooler too after their clip.I had 8” cut off my hair about two weeks ago and I am so glad I decided to go short again. It’s 30C here today and I am beyond fed up with this heat. Stay cool.Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They just have a good wash and dry, Mavis has her beard, eyebrows and feet clipped and Suky has a good de-shedding, as Pugs have an undercoat of dense fur. Once a year we get Mavis clipped all over, but as she is a rough coated Parson Russell Terrier she is supposed to have a shaggy look about her, which I actually prefer.

      Short hair is brilliant in this weather isn't it, I have been sticking my head under the tap numerous times a day. :-)

      Delete
  3. I just love your pet stories; all three are beautiful; Mavis Suki and GInger x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous photo's, I'd love a dog but my lot would have something to say about that, lol. Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnily enough I used to be just a cat person. I had four cats for years, dogs have sort of grown on me.

      Delete
  5. We're very lucky to have a grooming salon at the local agricultural college about 10 mins drive away. They're obviously students learning the trade, but the tutor, a lovely lady called Amelia, is wonderful, kind and patient. She loves Betty and Betty loves going there. And it only costs us £15 - which includes nail clipping - bargain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really handy for Betty isn't it, our groomers are only five minutes away, one of the perks of living in such a small town with a thriving high street. That is a real bargain price, I wish ours was as cheap.

      Delete
  6. i love their cute little pink ribbons x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha ... I think they look nice but I always mean to ask the groomer not to put a ribbon on them, after all they just end up in the bin. I have an idea what to do with these ones though so I need to keep them safe.

      Delete
  7. One would think they'd enjoy the pampering, but, a day at the groomers isn't quite like a day at a spa, I suppose. I'm glad they enjoyed the trip to the park more than they enjoyed the trip to the groomers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, thinking about it I would be just the same as Mavis if someone tried to take me to a spa, the thought of it just fills me with horror. I think we all enjoyed the outing to the park more than the one to the groomers. :-)

      Delete
  8. Your doggy blogs are my favourites, a lovely way to start my day, thank you. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something very calming and smile inducing about nice animal photos isn't there. xx

      Delete
  9. Our Banjo sleeps all day after being groomed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's obviously very stressful for them, even if they do feel nice and fresh afterwards. They literally slept the whole day and evening away, waking only for their tea, a quick walk and then back to bed.

      Delete
  10. Aw...I bet they feel cooler now after being groomed. They both look shattered in the first photo but just look at Mavis in the bottom one...sheer joy on her face!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were absolutely comatose. It's a good picture of Mavis isn't it.

      Delete
  11. That final picture of Mavis is sure a keeper. What a happy dog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does 'happy' very well. She loves her life now. xx

      Delete
  12. Perhaps the heat is getting to them as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definintely is. At least our groomer is good, on hot days they have a minimal drying session and they come out looking very fluffy which settles down as they fully dry.

      Delete
  13. Your furry friends are lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.