Thursday 16 January 2020

Simply Hummus



I was asked the other day about a hummus recipe, so as I was making some to put into the fridge for this week I though I would take a few photos.


My recipe … it's taken from Ella Woodward/Mills' first book Deliciously Ella.  I've never really found a recipe to beat it for simplicity.  

Although saying that, I did use a slightly simplified version when I did The Ration Challenge for charity last year on my other blog.  Swapping out the tahini for a tablespoon of peanut butter as that was all I had, and using mostly water rather than oil.


When I'm making anything these days I tend to get all the ingredients out on the worktop and then as I use them put anything not completely used up away again.  It keeps the kitchen tidy and it makes sure I don't forget to add anything that I should.

Can you spot the omission from the recipe?

Yes, I forgot to get out my lemon juice!!  I always use bottled juice rather than fresh lemons in recipes as it is handier and much cheaper.  As someone who only really like lemon in water and not on food I actually prefer my hummus without it after tasting the finished product!!


Once you have the basic hummus whizzed up, it is important to taste and adjust it to your own taste buds.  I ended up adding another clove of garlic, more oil and lots more salt and pepper to this particular batch.


I put half of the mix into two little tubs and then added a beetroot from a ready-cooked vacuum pack to the hummus left in the food processor,  and whizzed it up again.


Which then gave me three portions of gloriously pink hummus.  One for my lunch with dippable additions of celery, cherry tomatoes and a toasted wholemeal pitta bread, and two more to go into the fridge for another day.

I've found hummus keeps quite happily in sealed tubs in the fridge for up to a week.


Simply Hummus ❣


Sue xx





12 comments:

  1. I like your idea of adding beetroot and so making pink hummus - I shall certainly try that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It adds a lovely subtle beetroot flavour too, not overpowering at all :-)

      Delete
  2. Sounds grand. How do you keep up with your protein eating vegan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha … really!!

      Just in case you are serious … there is protein in EVERY food except fats and sugar. There is a huge misconception about the amount of protein needed for the average person each day. A lunch of one of my portions of hummus and the little extras shown in the dish above, gives me around a third of my protein requirements for one day.

      Delete
  3. It's a very pretty pink and it all looks delicious!
    I'd use peanut butter all the time because I don't like tahini!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It works equally well with peanut butter, it's just slightly creamier with the tahini and of course tahini is adding sesame seeds to the equation with almost as much protein as peanut butter.

      Delete
  4. If anyone wants hummus in my house they have to bring their own!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love hummus, but have never made it. -smile- My husband is always saying... We ought to! But we don't.

    I do adore the pink color of that hummus. So much more inviting than the usual.... Icky green color. lol

    ♫♪•*¨*•.¸ðŸ’›¸.•*¨*•♪♫

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had green hummus … but I love green so maybe I could try making some with some spinach. See now you've got me thinking :-)

      Delete
  6. I have grown to love hummus and usually have it for lunch most days with melba toast or crackers. I will have to give your recipe a try.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very addictive once you've had it :-)

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.