Saturday 28 January 2023

And Not a Penny Changed Hands

 



It was a good job I was looking through the section of my bag that I use as a purse the other day and noticed that the date on my Booths voucher was about to run out.  As you can see in this photo I had until 29th of this month to use it and I was sorting through my bag on 26th.

Now I wasn't really going to get any more shopping this month, after all it's so close to being next month already ... how did that happen?

So I debated what I would get and shopped wisely, well I think I did.  😁


I got four more bread rolls to put into the freezer (yes ... there is actually space for them to go in there now), four baking potatoes, a pack of tomatoes and one of peppers and then I thought about making a salad as I have the lettuce that I bought earlier this week so I added a cucumber to the shopping trolley.

I bought the eggs, even though I was debating not buying any more as Suky has been really poorly this week, and the vet said to keep her eating eggs and chicken for a few days until her little tummy settles down and gradually reintroduce her dried food.  So I thought I would supply the eggs and Alan can supply the chicken.

I loaded the shopping on the conveyor belt and the cashier rang it all through.  I packed away the shopping and then turned to hand over my voucher, waiting to be told the amount of cash I would also need to part with and unbelievably the shopping came to exactly £10 and my voucher was for £10.

How very neat!!

So not a penny changed hands.  😃


Here's a bit of Weekend Watching for you, just a couple of the YouTube videos that I've enjoyed this month.



Someone who bought A LOT MORE food than me.





And rather weirdly, Sophie also found a single rogue veggie sausage while doing her Freezer Inventory Challenge.


Hope you have a great weekend.



Sue xx




16 comments:

  1. That happens to me sometimes, a nice round total. I always think it's a bit spooky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly that, it's always a bit weird, but wonderful too. :-)

      Delete
  2. Definitely spooky, and very well played!
    Although I was shocked to see how few items you were able to buy for £10 . . . it does annoy me when media report that inflation is 10% or thereabouts when most, if not all, food items have been increasing by 15%, sometimes 20% or more over the last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, there's not a lot there for my money is there.

      I have just done the same shop in my Sainsbury's 'virtual basket' and it would have cost me £8.72. To be honest I was quite surprised that Booths was only just over a pound dearer than Sainsbury's. Then of course I had to see what it would have cost in Aldi, and even there I would have spent £8. So I'm happy with my 'free' shop and also knowing that Booths is not quite the over-expensive store that I thought it was.

      The other day I took part in a little Facebook group exercise and managed to get enough food (once again in my virtual Sainsbury's basket) to feed 2 people 3 meals a day for £7.05. Now that's a lot more impressive!!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Not bad at all, I wouldn't have dared to go out without my purse though, I was sure I would have to add at least some change to the total. I perhaps need to work on my maths skills as I walk around the shop putting things in my trolley!

      Delete
  4. So sorry to hear that Suky has been poorly, our very old blind spaniel keeps having tummy troubles so the vet recommended very expensive dog food for her but it made no difference so I now make my own from either chicken, turkey or fish with rice and vegetables we add a doggie vitamin and calcium, she loves it and there has been a slight improvement, I don't think it will get much better as she is old. Also have made some doggie biscuits for treats, they go down well too. Love your shopping bargains, I have failed totally today, went with a shopping list of oats, yoghurt and newspaper and ended up spending £40 , hey ho ,I won't need to go for a while now .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The vet seemed to think that she had some sort of 24 hour tummy bug. She's on the mend now and enjoying her food again, although being without her usual medications for a couple of days has had an effect on her joints.
      It's so easily done isn't it, the supermarkets sure do know how to get our money.

      Delete
  5. So sorry to hear that Suky is poorly. I hope she feels better very soon.
    How neat to spend exactly £10! And don't you just love free food 👍😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is much better, thank you. Yes, I LOVE free food. :-)

      Delete
  6. Sorry if I'm repeating this, but I think I lost my comment before submitting. I was just noting that I grocery shopped yesterday, and bought all but the peppers that you did. Looking at my receipt, I spent $24.89 US, which at the current exchange rate is 20.05 pounds sterling. Double here, with one less item! I hadn't realized how much more our prices are now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Celie, was thinking the same. I had to go look. At the exchange rate UK-US 10 pounds in $12.40 in US and no way could I get all of what Sue did for $12.

      Sue, awesome that your 10 pound cert was right on the nose. How often does that happen? You are always such a careful shopper. You inspire me!

      Carol

      Delete
    2. Celie, comments are behaving really weirdly at the moment on so many blogs. I have had the exact same happen to me when I leave comments on other peoples blogs, it's very strange isn't it.
      I follow a lot of YouTubers from the USA and I have noticed how high the food prices are getting, and even more so over the border in Canada. It's quite alarming isn't it, and your petrol/gas prices are catching up to ours as well, although it's hard for me to work that out sometimes as we buy in litres and you buy in gallons.

      Delete
    3. Carol, it's very worrying isn't it when the food prices are so high and the wages aren't growing to match them. I can see us all having to go back to a very simple way of eating, and even more of us having to grow some of our own vegetables and fruits just to be able to stay healthy on a budget.

      Delete
  7. Very well done. I am loving the YT videos. So interesting.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many aren't there, and some of them are very inspiring. I tend to watch a couple each morning while I am enjoying my first coffee of the day.

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.