Thursday 26 January 2023

So, I Broke ALL of the Rules ... and My Feeble Excuses


The Rules

1.  Use up what you have at home first.

2.  Don't go shopping on an empty stomach.

3.  Don't be swayed by things you watch on social media.

Alan's been away all week so I have been walking the dogs.  I drive to the little park that they both love and then they have a good play.  To sort of justify the drive I decided to call to Sainsbury's which is close by, well virtually everything is close by in our town if you go by car, so much difference to where we used to live and I am still getting used to the convenience of it all.

I was supposed to be picking up the chopped chicken pieces that Alan buys for them as he had run out.  Literally as soon as I stepped in the door my tummy was rumbling, and there in all their tummy filling glory were the takeaway sandwich, snacks and drinks shelves.  I was so nearly tempted to grab a sandwich, but all the vegan ones were £2.95 or £3.50 as part of a meal deal!!

So I did myself a little deal, instead of buying one I would buy a loaf of bread and something nice as a filler to have as soon as I got home.  Passing down the fresh fruit and veg aisle I decided if I was shopping for me I might as well get myself a new Iceberg lettuce and some more easy peelers.

I got the chicken for the dogs, chose my favourite loaf from the bread aisle and then as I passed down the frozen foods aisle the VFC Chick*n Fillets caught my eye.  They caught my eye because I had watched a YouTube clip the day before when someone was raving about how good they are.

Three rules broken in almost as many minutes!!

Iceberg Lettuce - 65p
Easy Peelers - £1
Bread - £1.20
VFC Chick*n Fillets - £3

Total spend - £5.85


It's a good job I did buy that small loaf as the chick*n fillets were tiny!

It made for a reasonably satisfying late breakfast/early lunch and was something totally different for me but I won't be buying these again.  The texture is far too much like real chicken for my liking, which I suppose is the name of the game really, but I don't like the texture of meat now, anymore than I like the flavour of most of it.  I did however used to love the KFC Chicken Fillet burger, so I suppose somewhere in the back of my mind I was hoping to enjoy a version of this again.


Sue xx


 

18 comments:

  1. It's funny isn't it Sue, if we go in a shop for just one thing, I somehow can never buy JUST that one thing! Fatal. The only way to avoid spending is simply not to go in any shops, I think. Having now been red meat free for a few months, I can no longer stomach the thought of eating it....I still cook it for husband, but the sight and smell of it nowadays makes me feel queasy. I had carried on eating chicken, but don't really like even the texture of that now, although I will eat minced chicken or turkey occasionally. And the last time I had a bacon sandwich, a couple of weeks ago, I didn't like that much either and didn't finish it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chicken and bacon were the last meats that I ditched from my meat eating diet, and I knew it was time to ditch the bacon butties when I found myself having to clean my teeth straight after eating them to take the feeling away. I am currently now also veering back off fish and eggs, so I am just using up what I have in at the moment.

      Delete
  2. Going to the store hungry will derail the best of plans and rules :) That sandwich reminds me of a Chick-Fil-A sandwhich we have here. Very yummy, but lots of meat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I used to love the KFC Chicken burger because it was literally a crispy coated chicken breast on a bun with lettuce. As you say LOTS of meat and very filling.

      Delete
  3. I'm permanently hungry at the moment ( or think I am!) eating far too many carbs and processed foods - ah well let's hope it's true that a little of what you fancy does you good!
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all have phases of being very carb heavy with our choices at this time of year. I usually find a nice healthy smoothie with lots of spinach and some fruit gets me out of the carb/hungry cycle. But carbs are nice, there's no denying it. ;-)

      Delete
  4. I think you did well for being hungry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Relatively restrained ... considering I went in for a pack of chicken bits for the dogs ... haha!!

      Delete
  5. Isn't there a saying - 'rules are made to be broken'! DH has just popped down to town for petrol, anti-freeze and inhibitor and a couple of items from Sainsbury's that we cannot get in Scotland. He will only come back with the items he went for - sometimes I wish he would remember if I forget when we need something and buy it - but he does save money not buying additional extras. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep ... and if you can't break your own rules when can you. ;-)

      Yes, if you want to save money send a man with a list, it usually works.

      Delete
  6. I know what you mean about the texture of chicken, I cannot eat it any more either.

    As for breaking your 'rules', I'd go with Barbossa from Pirates of the Caribbean: "not rules, more what you'd call guidelines" 🤣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I will slice up the remaining fillet thingy once it's cooked and eat it in a salad instead of trying to bite into it as a whole. I'm liking Barbossa ... and I need to watch the 'Pirates' films again it's a long time since I watched any of them, they're very good.

      Delete
  7. Breaking rules once in a while is quite okay.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking it's almost compulsory, that way you can make some more fresh ones. ;-)

      Delete
  8. It's the social media one that gets me every time. They post links and it's just so easy. I've been very strict with myself this month but it's been a bit hard at times. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Links are handy, but dangerous things. I'm being very good up to now this year, especially when I'm browsing various social media sites late at night. That was my downfall last year.

      Delete
  9. It always puzzles me why anyone who doesn’t eat meat wants to eat something that tastes like meat! I find pretend chicken etc (including Quorn) just horrible. I used to love the vegi bakes:pasties from Greggs (sadly they don’t sell them now) but if they didn’t have any they’d suggest a vegan steak-like bake. Crazy . Regards June

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most people that don't eat meat don't stop because they don't enjoy the taste of it, usually it's the case of they don't enjoy the cruelty involved in getting that meat. If you think about it meat tastes of the flavours that you put into or onto it when you make and serve the meals. Meat itself has little flavour ... unless it's smoked, which of course is in itself adding flavour.

      I stopped eating meat in stages as I found out about it's production. I used to eat chicken until I kept them and learnt more about them. I used to LOVE bacon butties until we kept pigs and I had to go to the slaughterhouse with the first of them. But I still loved the smell of the bacon cooking even if I couldn't bring myself to ever eat it again. Once you know YOU KNOW.

      When there are alternatives that can give you that flavour, the extra protein hit in your diet and fulfil an urge to taste again something that you used to love, you sometimes make the decision to eat 'pretend' chicken etc. And that was why I bought these, I used to love a KFC Chicken Fillet burger as an occasional meal while we were out on the road many years ago and I guess this was an itch that I needed to scratch. However, now I just cannot tolerate the texture, so I will stay with just the less 'meat-like' offerings of burger etc. As like you I do prefer the more vegetably type things.

      I hope this explains for you.

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.