Wednesday 11 January 2023

Spicy Breakfast, Recipe, then Cakey Breakfast

 


It was an unusual breakfast yesterday morning, I just wasn't in the mood for anything remotely breakfast-y ... and anyway who says that breakfasts have to be toast or cereal!!

Why not have a spicy start to the day.

Sorry for the blurry photo, I must have moved as I snapped. 

 I decided mid morning to use up my last two disgracefully black and overripe bananas to make some Banana Bread.  The recipe also used up the last of the eggs and the last of my white sugar from the jar,  I had to top it up with some demerara sugar to get to the right weight.  This was a huge success by the way, the crunch and flavour it gave to the bread was wonderful.

My Banana Bread

140g softened butter

140g sugar

2 beaten eggs

140g self raising flour

1tsp baking powder

2 very ripe bananas, mashed

1tsp vanilla extract

Cream together the butter and sugar and then add everything else to the bowl and give it a really good mix.  Divide the mixture between two greased or lined 1lb loaf tins, or you can make one large loaf but this will take longer to cook and doesn't have as much gloriously crunchy edge-to-cake ratio.  

Cook in a pre-heated oven at 160 degrees for about 40 minutes.  Check after 20 or so minutes as you might need to cover the top with some foil to stop it browning too much.  I always have to do this.


My two cakes cooling on a wire tray.

Do try to let them cool almost completely before eating a piece, as they are very crumbly at first and difficult to slice.

I always cut the pieces of foil large enough so that I can use them again for something else and then fold them to sit neatly on top of the cakes.

This is delicious as it is with a nice cup of coffee,  or it can be served with custard, ice-cream or cream, or ... and in my opinion the best way ... spread thickly with butter.  

Guess what I'll be having for breakfast for the next couple of days?  

Well it's not having cake for breakfast if it's called Banana Bread now is it.  😁


Sue xx


Just a note:  I have noticed a lot of my comments on other people's blogs vanishing almost as soon as I make them, and even on my own blog occasionally ... so do check your Spam boxes for comments again if you think you haven't heard from me recently.   I am also finding a lot of peoples comments are ending up in mine too and I have been retrieving some most days.  Blogger is a pain!!


34 comments:

  1. Your banana bread looks and sounds delicious. Bridget

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely looking 'bread', is it 140grams of flour to match the other weights?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well spotted, thank you. Corrected now!

      Delete
  3. I wouldn't want spicy stuff for breakfast, but cake - oh yes. I've also been known to have rice pudding or even trifle for breakfast, if they were left over from the day before and I was in a rush! Oh and, funnily enough, your comments on my blog almost always go in Spam for some reason! :-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It woke the taste buds up that's for sure. I have breakfast quite late, so it's not as though I wake up and then eat it, so I guess to some people it would be more of a brunch.

      Yep, Blogger just seems to pick on certain people's comments and send them to Spam it's very strange. I usually have to fish out about three of my regular commenters comments.

      Delete
  4. I've had problems with posting comments lately. Once I've written a comment, I now do 'select all' and 'copy' before I press publish. Then if it doesn't seem to publish, I just press "paste" and try again. It usually goes through on the second attempt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I occasionally do that, especially if I've written quite a long comment.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for the spam reminder - I keep forgetting to check. Found several of yours and more of my own replies - so weird

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's become a habit with me now as there are virtually always some in there, and yes some of my answers, that I am sure have been published, have reverted back to the spam box occasionally..

      Delete
  6. I now check every day and, yes, yours are often there. Goodness knows why. Like Sue, I also find some of my replies in Spam too. It's all very odd but it does seem to keep the real spam down too - not entirely but better than it was.

    I agree that meals are just a convention, nothing more. Have what you fancy and, as long as it all balances out, why not? :-)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the real Spam does seem to have died down a bit at the moment ... touch wood.

      Delete
  7. Banana bread is lovely. I did a variation at Christmas, using a bit of mincemeat in it (recipe from a Christmas cooking mag - BBC Good Food?) That was lovely too. No reason a savoury breakfast shouldn't be eaten.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I bet that was nice. I have a jar of mincemeat in the cupboard too, I might give it a go.

      Delete
  8. I miss our pav bhaji breakfasts we always have in India, a saucerful of chilli hot vegetarian curry with a freshly baked bread roll to dip in. I love banana bread, Jon insists I substitute half the sugar for grated dark chocolate, it'd be rude to refuse! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grated dark chocolate would make it even more moreish ... thanks for the tip.

      Delete
  9. That’s my favourite cake to make and eat! I use the Remoska and it works well-just need the foil on earlier. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnily enough I have never attempted to cook cakes in the Remoska, although my two cake tins wouldn't both fit in at the same time, I have the medium sized version. I have regularly made scones in it though and they work out just fine.

      Delete
  10. You've really inspired me to really go through my freezer contents. I made two loaves of zucchini bread a couple days ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, zucchini/courgette bread is delicious, and that can be slathered in butter too :-)

      Delete
  11. I often eat weird stuff for breakfast, like Mac and Cheese or leftovers. But your banana bread looks delicious, so I would definitely be eating that for a few days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't until sometime last year that I actually had some cold pizza for breakfast ... now that was REALLY nice. I must make a big pizza and save some just for that purpose.

      Delete
  12. When my bro in law is over from Australia he'll eat any leftovers for breakfast, it was veggie lasagne the last time he was here!
    Banana bread with butter - I could eat a slice of that now x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very naughty putting butter onto a cake isn't it, but it taste SO good. I used to like digestive biscuits with butter and grated cheese for breakfast too, now that must send the calorie count through the roof!!

      Delete
  13. I've got to give that banana bread a try, I normally make husband eat the over ripe ones, I like them slightly under. It must be "eat a random thing for breakfast day" as I had half a jacket potato for mine ! I sometimes like porridge for my evening meal " vive la difference " :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like them slightly under too, no brown spots on my bananas thank you :-)

      Porridge is a really good supper as oats are said to help you sleep, as well as filling up your tummy with something warm and delicious.

      Delete
  14. Lovely bread! I usually add nuts or blueberries to my banana bread. So delicious! I will have to check on the comments. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, walnuts would have made this banana bread even more delicious, I must remember that for next time as I always have walnuts and Brazil nuts in the cupboard.

      Delete
  15. Replies
    1. It really was, far too delicious ... it's nearly all gone already!!

      Delete
  16. Your Banana bread looks awesome. I have never thought of using that for breakfast. Since once we finish off the Christmas baking I will be making some apple sauce bread and pumpkin loaf I will need to remember this.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that sounds nice. Apple sauce bread and pumpkin loaf both sound gorgeous ... and yes, totally suitable for breakfast. :-)

      Delete
  17. That banana bread is so tempting that I've printed out a copy of your recipe. Thanks so much for publishing it, Sue, as other ones I've tried haven't come out well and I gave up. I'll try again ;)
    BTW G was quite restrained on Tuesday with the shopping. He only ended up with some cans of Tango pop, crisps and a pack of cookies...lol....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Only' ... he sounds just like Alan, who loves Tango, pop and biscuits too.

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.