Thursday 19 January 2023

Nectar Ninja ... I don't think so!!


The other day PP over at Small Treasures shared her magnificent Nectar Ninja facts and figures, it makes for such fascinating reading doesn't it, when your shopping is dissected in this way.


Her post inspired me to go into my app and check out my own, which although equally fascinating are nowhere near as impressive.


Seeing it in black and white (and in many other colours) it does make you rack your brains to think back over what you've bought in the past year.  As you can see I do seem to spread the things I buy out over all the parts of the supermarket.  A little bit from each category.


The highest of which seems to have been cupboard fillers.

I think that may be because I always pick up some packs of pasta, rice and sauces to go into the Foodbank box at the exit.  Some things I don't know about at all because Alan has the same Nectar card number as me and he obviously buys his milk there on occasion .. and perhaps some ready meals too!


Between us we only shopped there 28 times over the course of last year, mainly because in our town Sainsbury's is the smallest supermarket so we tend to get most things at Aldi or Booths and use Sainsbury's for specific items or to pick up things on the way to Mum's as it is on the back road out of town.


The veg to fruit ratio seems fair as I eat way more vegetables than fruit, although I do buy the majority of them from Booths now.


It seems I am the number four purchase of Naturli in Garstang!  

This is actually the main reason that I go to Sainsbury's regularly as it's the only place in town that has been selling it up to now.  It's delicious by the way, the nearest thing to Lurpak that is dairy-free.


And yes, it's my top buy.


Closely followed by bananas and Quorn ham (delicious fried as a 'bacon butty').

Now I find all this fascinating as I had been in retail for most of my working life and loved it.  The push for sales and the financial workings out of operating a shop are in my blood.  But we have to remember that these cards are dangerous little things, the Nectar card, Tesco Clubcard et al are the retailers dream and advertisers main source of information about us, the great shopping public.


The Tesco Clubcard was trialled in two towns in the UK in 1993/94, and I happened to live near one of them ... Barrow in Furness, so I have held a Clubcard since the first day it was launched.  I remember my Dad being so excited to get his when they were rolled out nationally in 1995 and telling me about all the benefits, not realising that I had been using it for so long already.

At first I guess we were all so naïve at what this innocent little piece of plastic was actually up to.  Our shopping habits have now been monitored for years and looking back at the Nectar facts and figures above, this gives us just the tiniest glimpse of what the supermarkets actually know about us. 

They know where we live,  what we eat, how often we purchase things, how well we respond to offers and savings and how much money we spend with them.  From this baseline they can plot and plan what to offer us in the future, what to tempt us with and how to tempt us back if we stray.

It can be quite scary stuff if we think about it too much, so I guess if we have the cards we just have to get the best value we can from them and learn to use them in a way that suits us.  We should try not to be tempted to buy things just because we are offered them at a reduced rate ... unless we really need them at that time of course.  But most of all we should consider if we want our information to be held in banks of computers just so that we can save 40p on a tin of beans.

I'll be spending my Nectar points just as soon as I need to more vegetables.  😄


Sue xx




16 comments:

  1. I agree it can be scary just how much info these companies have on us. For a while I had the Lidl app on my phone until I realised that because I don't shop there every week I hardly ever qualified for vouchers and they had the better deal with all my details! Also I was aware how it could hold the queue up while I struggled with the app at the checkout . I've got rid of it and am not missing it.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it really is worth assessing the benefit we get from these cards and from sharing our information isn't it.

      Delete
  2. I've only got a Superdrug loyalty card so this is mind boggling! I wonder if it ever shame anyone into eating healthier if their data was all sweet treats, booze and fags? xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to have that many years ago and then I stopped shopping there so that was one of the first cards I got rid of. I somehow doubt it, I bet there would be a bit of boasting going on. ;-)

      Delete
  3. The only card I have is a Co-op one and since moving don't even use that very often! I'm a secret shopper. (apart from on the self check out in Asda when they have everyone on camera - not keen on watching myself shopping!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've used my Co-op card once since I moved from Wales, we just don't have one that's close enough to be worth visiting regularly. Oh those self-checkouts at Asda are scary aren't they ... you look up and there you are in all your shopping stressed out glory!

      Delete
  4. It is indeed quite scary to know how much information these companies hold about us and, of course, any online browsing ( on any site) is stored and utilised to tempt us all. I cancelled and cut up a lot of loyalty cards, ones which I don't use, last year. I only use the Nectar one so much as it's the closest store to us and I like their own brand products. Well done on reaching #4 buyer of Naturli ! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's worth picking a store you like and using it loyalty scheme to your advantage isn't it. You do so well with your Sainsbury's shopping, it's well worth continuing to use them.

      Delete
  5. I had the same, and am the top buyer of Lapsang tea! It does worry me a little that so much information is tied to these cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations ... you little tea drinking queen. :-)

      Delete
  6. I no longer have a Costco membership. I am traced through Neilson HomeScan which I don't really mind as they don't tempt me with deals. I get points to spend when and on what I want. Most times it is gift cards to use on my ereader.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had a Costco membership, although I have been tempted to once or twice. We used to get our bulk supplies from Bookers, which is quite similar.

      Delete
  7. You are absolutely right - the amount of information collected about us is downright unsettling if you stop to think about it. Although occasionally it can be beneficial - the Sainsbury's Self-Scan app sometimes gives me significant savings on certain regular productss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as we are careful to pick and choose what we buy the Nectar app and Self Scan and the Tesco Clubcard can give some really good benefits as you say, you just have to weigh up is that saving worth them having all our shopping information. I think on balance it can be.

      Delete
  8. Oh my, they glean a lot of personal information from those cards. A useful marketing tool for the store, and an invasion of privacy for the customer. I spent £160 yesterday in Home Bargains and Aldi, all cash. I am having work done on my car next week, that will be cash as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really do don't they!! Lots of places are turning back to cash now that the banks are taking a higher percentage off the retailer for card transactions, which to my mind can only be a good thing.

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.