Thursday 6 July 2023

Alan and Eric, A Recipe ... and Spot the Difference - the Food Cupboard Challenge


 I was looking through June photos and found that there were lots that I hadn't shared with you.  I thought this one in particular needed sharing, as I love it so much.

Just us on a nice early morning out with the dogs in Morecambe.  Because it was so early there wasn't the usual queue of people waiting to have their photo taken with Eric Morecambe on the promenade.  So we thought that for once we would be tourists in our own neck of the woods.


Sadly the dogs won't face forward if it's not me taking the picture!!


3rd June

For my own benefit ... and for you if you like to play Spot the Difference.

6th July.

There's not a huge amount of difference, but doing this is stopping me from shopping for cupboard items as I know exactly what I have in.  This challenge has also highlighted to me that at the moment I tend to eat mainly from the fridge and buy replacements for the fridge over and over.  It's proving to be a good long term experiment.

Of course there is a lot more food in the bottom cupboard as well, and in the past week or so I am starting to dip into it for things that I no longer have in the top cupboard.


The two missing cans of chopped tomatoes were used in this pan of Roasted Vegetable and Tomato soup that I made as this weeks bulk cook.

I just roasted all the vegetables that were in the bottom of the fridge drawer when we got back after our weekend away.  Just for half an hour in the oven, while they were roasting I sautéed an onion for a few minutes with some garlic from the freezer, added two tins of chopped tomatoes and then tipped the vegetables into the pan and gave it all a good whizz up.  I like my soups relatively smooth, so this is my preferred way to do it.

I had one bowlful straight away for my lunch, we had one portion between us as a starter with some garlic bread last night and the remaining jars of soup are now in the freezer.


Sue xx



16 comments:

  1. Lovely photo of Alan and the pups, x
    Always makes me chuckle how many things I spot in your food cupboard which are also in mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good one isn't it, although why he wanted to be in Eric's armpit I have no idea!

      Delete
  2. I have been craving soup lately, as I love soup year round. This soup looks delicious! And I'm glad to see that you use jars in the freezer. I recently put about 4 jars of bean soup in the freezer and I'm wondering how they will do, long term. I love smooth soup, as well, so I will have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This cooler weather was just calling out for some nice rich soup to be made. I use my glass jars for everything, I find most things store so much better in them. The only downside is that you really do have to make sure to remember to take things out of the freezer the day before you want them and let them thaw gradually ... and of course for anyone that has never done it before you HAVE to remember to leave at least an inch of head room ready for expansion.

      Delete
  3. Love the look of that soup - smooth suits me too. And wow, what great pics, I can understand that that the Alan, Eric and your lovely dogs is a favourite!
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I love my soups smooth, if you ask me if it's not smooth it's a stew. :-)

      Delete
  4. The soup sounds good. Soup is on the menu here today too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such an easy and yet delicious thing isn't it. You just can't beat a nice bowl of soup. :-)

      Delete
  5. The soup looks delicious. I've been craving soup this last week, possibly because the weather has turned much cooler. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely, and it made a nice change from the plain vegetable soup I seem to have been making a lot just recently.

      Delete
  6. MY husband insisted on going to see Eric last November when we were in the Lakes - it was pouring with rain but the obligatory photo was taken - definitely no queue that day!! Fiona x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's definintely obligatory at some point when you visit Morecambe. Rainy days and early mornings are always the best bet for a quiet photo opportunity. :-)

      Delete
  7. Lovely photos ,using store cupboard items is something I am trying to do and some of the things I have found I really don't know why I bought them, I am aiming to clear it and buy only what I know I will definitely use ,seeing all the "stuff " in there makes me feel a little overwhelmed. I am also applying the same to the rest of the house getting rid of things that haven't been used for years ,how many spare duvet sets ,pillows ,sheets, even oven gloves do I need and cushion covers ,good grief I found so many so there is a big bag for the charity shop and I feel liberated :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the stash does seem to go down slowly doesn't it. I was even tempted to take some things to the local Food Bank to get the stocks down a bit faster, but most of the things in the top cupboard are out of date, so they can't accept them.
      It is really liberating to start getting rid of things that are no longer in use and have a good clear out isn't it. :-)

      Delete
  8. Love the photo of you both. We have soup most days and have even been known to eat it on one of these really hot days that we have had recently.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, it's rare we both get to appear in a photo!

    I really don't mind soup on hot days, the only thing I do differently is have it in a bowl on a hot day and a mug that I can cuddle on a cold day. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.