Saturday 8 July 2023

Rhubarb, Almond Milk, Weekend Watching and Scarecrows

 


You're not really supposed to take a harvest from newly transplanted rhubarb during it's first year, but I had no option.  Like something out of The Day of the Triffids it sprawled over most of the woodchip area of the garden getting bigger and bigger by the day.

I pulled most of the stems leaving just a couple behind for the plant and after a good wash and a chop cooked it all up.  I ended up with enough  for a rhubarb and custard tart, two containers that are now in the fridge that can be turned into crumbles in the blink of an eye, and the excess juice from the cooking I poured into the little jug.  This was drunk over the course of a couple of days mixed with sparkling water and was beautifully refreshing.

Literally a week later and the plant is almost as big as it was before ... I'll have to watch it doesn't eat one of the dogs!!


In my ongoing ultra processed foods discovery journey I had my occasional breakfast of Aldi dupe weetabix with almond milk.  Although I didn't have the cereal box to check the ingredients of the Wheat Bisks I could look it up on the Aldi website.  This is what I found - 

Whole 𝐖𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐭 (95%), 𝐁𝐚𝐫𝐥𝐞𝐲 Malt Extract, Sugar, Salt, Niacin, Iron, Riboflavin, Thiamin, Folic Acid.

 Not too bad  actually, and something that I am happy to keep in my diet.

The almond milk I'm not so happy about ... I think it's time I went back to making my own!!

*** *** ***

Here's some Weekend Watching for you, chosen from some of the channels that I've been watching and enjoying this week. 

 First a new one to me that I only discovered this week - Farmhouse on Boone

https://youtu.be/DWrSk-175Kg

I find it so relaxing watching someone else cooking or cleaning, and it's been nice to take it easy with a cup of coffee first thing in the morning and watch from my armchair.


Next a massive haul for Freakin Frugal, thank goodness there's some food that can be rescued before it ends up in landfill.

https://youtu.be/fwdj9sHyMH8


From Jessica at Three Rivers Homestead there was this lovely video at the start of her canning season.

https://youtu.be/ymeuMLCzy6U


Some shopping from Madelaine Olivia -

https://youtu.be/kHATnMEgm_E

And the follow on video when she uses the shopping bought at Lidl to make meals, is here:-

https://youtu.be/OQJL-6yYbto


I hope you enjoyed a couple of those, I'm always on the lookout for more channels to watch so if there's one that you love do let me know in the comments below.

 It's the Scarecrow Festival here in our little northern town, so it will be quite busy around town and the carparks will all be full.  The theme this year is Films.  On the canal one of the narrowboats near to our house is now the Titanic, I do hope history isn't repeated.  😉

While in the Pizza shop, Laurel and Hardy seem to be tucking into a lovely Italian meal.

Happily, we have had to drive around town twice today so we have managed to see most of the scarecrows and we can avoid the crowds tomorrow and Sunday.

I hope you have a great weekend.


Sue xx



12 comments:

  1. Loving the scarecrows. I'll take a look at those channels. Like you I love my morning viewing into other people's lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find real lives a lot more entertaining that 'soap operas', and it's a good way to wake up with a cup of coffee first thing in the morning ... if you choose the right ones to watch first thing.

      Delete
  2. Do not think I would want to tempt fate quite so much with a Titanic theme on a boat 🙄

    Look forward to your post on making Almond Milk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I said on the Facebook group!! I do it really simply, just soak the almonds for a few hours, then whizz them with fresh water in my Nutribullet and then strain. I use the pulp to make biscuits or crumble.

      Delete
  3. I’ll enjoy watching the videos when I have my lunch break-thank you. There is a scarecrow festival near us in September which is always fun to visit. Enjoy your weekend-I’m going to check what’s in husband’s oat milk right now! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All factory produced milks have to have some sort of emulsifier in them to keep the ingredients from separating. When you make it yourself you can just give it a shake before you use it each time.

      Delete
  4. The ingredients in the Oat Milk are a bit scary! And my husband and I follow several narrowboat channels on Youtube, so I wonder if any will talk about the festival this weekend. We've also seen several of the British shows we watch include the scarecrow festival. I love the creativity with the theme!

    Have a fun weekend (avoiding the crowds)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our canal is completely separate from the main English and Welsh canals, so I don't think there are any of the well known YouTubers on here at the moment. Narrowboat Liberty, a channel that I watch regularly have just left. They were moored near to our house before and after they had their boat work done in the marina. They did the Ribble Link, which takes you connects to the main canal network last week.

      Oh we avoided the crowds, and the thunderstorms and stayed at home.

      Delete
  5. You obviously have an very robust and strong rhubarb. Take care he doesn't pull up his roots and rake over your neighbourhood. :-)
    I'm checking labels much more now too. It can be quite shocking!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's grown so much in the last week or so since I harvested the first stalks that it's almost as big again. Suky has taken to going under a leaf ... umbrella style ... whenever it's raining and she needs a wee in the garden. :-)

      Delete
  6. Our rhubarb is having an amazingly productive year despite very dry conditions. I'm trying to make some room in the freezer so that I can save some to enjoy in the winter when cooking apples are so pricey.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might do another harvest in the next week or so and freeze it, it's lovely to have some homegrown fresh produce in the middle of Winter isn't it.

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.