Monday 10 July 2023

An Expensive Weekend

 


We seem to have spent the weekend and this morning giving all our money away, well that what it feels like.  Paying for the repainting and re-carpeting of the flat, then equipping it with the basics has not been cheap, but it is all worthwhile.

While we are using it we will have all the things that we need there for a comfortable time, and when we do come to sell it in the future it will be ready for showing.

We have ordered the bed and the fridge/freezer and they are on standby ready to be delivered.   Alan decided to buy himself a new television, so we will take his old one to the flat when we go, along with my old Freeview box and the spare DVD player we have.


We weren't going to buy a washing machine, but after a weekend with a poorly Pug* and lots of doggy bedding to wash, we thought it might be a good idea ... and it will fill the void that is in the kitchen next to the sink.

We went to Dunelm first thing yesterday to purchase bedding, curtains, lightshades and all the other things that you suddenly realise that you need.  Luckily between us we have managed to equip the cutlery and crockery parts of the kitchen and towels for the bathroom, so that is at least a bit of money saved.

But it's a lot of money spent!! 

 Oh well, thankfully it's almost all done now and I can stop gritting my teeth just long enough for my annual visit to the dentist.  Wish me luck.


Sue xx


*  Suky is much better now, it seems to have been a 24hr bug type thing, or perhaps something she picked up ... she's a sneaky, greedy little girl.

**  We are not really buying a set of bunkbeds!!  😄



18 comments:

  1. Glad Suky is on the mend, but it's always a worry when the old girls are not 100% 💚 🐾

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was worrying as she refused her breakfast. Pugs NEVER refuse food, in fact I think this is only the second time in her whole life that this has happened. She's great now though, thank goodness.

      Delete
  2. When we were doing up and equipping our caravan, we seemed to be forever spending money - although we did buy a lot of things second hand or in sales, and some things we brought from home. Now we just buy plants!! Poor little Suky (and you for having that washing) - good to hear she's better now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing I love about caravans is that they come fully fitted with furniture, and it's possible to set up home with the contents of the boot of a Fiat 500 as I did. This time we are having to buy furniture and it's a whole other ball game and a bloody expensive one!! I doubt we will be buying many plants though ... but then again .... haha.

      Delete
  3. Good to hear Suky's on the mend.

    I did wonder who was going to climb to the top bunk.... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's back to normal, thank goodness. Well it wouldn't have been me. ;-)

      Delete
  4. I totally agree that a washing machine is essential. Hand washing is not much fun.
    I'm do glad Suky is feeling better again.
    Very glad it won't be bunk beds!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know!! I spent the first eight or so years of married life with two boys ... one a muddy outdoors type and one a baby in terry nappies ... without a washing machine. I did a lot of handwashing and trampling on larger items in the bath. I didn't mind so much in the caravan though, it was great for just me as long as I kept on top of things and washed things in the sink every other day.

      Delete
  5. I am one of your readers of your blog. Please, would you be willing to read this blog post on my blog
    https://fatdormouse.wordpress.com/2023/07/11/can-you-help-make-a-real-difference/ and if it is something you think you can support, please either write your own blog or direct your readers to mine.
    This is an amazing opportunity for a small charity to raise much needed funds.
    Thank you

    Fat Dormouse (aka Alison Wale)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very worthwhile thing to support, especially this year as there is no Ration Challenge for me to take part in.

      I will provide a link to your blog, where you describe it so well and to the Facebook Group on tomorrows post. I hope they manage to raise a good amount of money over the weekend. xx

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Sue! Love FD xx

      Delete
    3. I've done a blog post that will appear on Friday morning, that way any donations made will be inside the 'doubling up' window. Thanks for letting me know about this Alison. xx

      Delete
  6. A shame about the bunk beds, I was imagining Alan climbing onto the top one! Re the flat: you have achieved a great deal in a short time, Sue, and you might just as well be super comfortable whilst staying in it. Hope the dentist visit went well....
    Poor Suky, it must be a worry when she is not well :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He could have climbed in relatively easily, but I dread to think how his middle of the night bathroom visit would have gone. ;-)

      Dentist went very well, thanks. I didn't need anything, and Alan just needs one little filling. Suky is much better now, what a relief.

      Delete
    2. Oh my goodness, I can imagine that too well! 😂🤣😂 Glad your dental appointment went well. Treatment is an expensive option these days 😱

      Delete
  7. I am confused...are you moving? Or is this a temporary thing? It does sound costly, and prices have gone up so much in the past year or so I imagine it was a pretty painful drain on the pocket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I posted all about it in the last week of June.

      In a nutshell, our long-term tenant has just moved out of our Welsh flat and rather than sell it on an unstable market we are keeping it ourselves to use as a seaside base for a year or two. As it was unfurnished we have had it repainted, re-carpeted and are furnishing it ready for us to use, which should hopefully also make it easier to sell when the market improves.

      Delete
    2. How did I miss that? Thank you, Sue. I hope you get much joy from being able to use it yourselves.

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.