Wednesday 19 July 2023

Tiny Garlic Breads and Tiny Jars

 


I had some of these in the freezer last week and decided to eat them over a couple of days.  

One is supposed to be a serving size ... but one little garlic bread really, they are diddy!!  I like at least two any time I have them


The first day I had them with some pesto spaghetti, Tenderstem broccoli  and peas.


The next lunchtime I decided to turn them into two tiny pizzas, gosh they were good this way. 

INGREDIENTS: Fortified Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin), Water, Extra Virgin Olive Oil (16%), Garlic (4%), Flat Leaf Parsley, White Wine Vinegar, Rapeseed Oil, Salt, Grape Must, Yeast, Black Pepper.

The ingredients for the little garlic breads are relatively good too, although I don't understand why there is 'Grape Must' in them.  😕

This photo shows the Basil Pesto that I was using up from the food cupboard and it highlighted to me why it's been taking me so long to work my way through everything, this tiny little jar lasted me for four different meals.  

First use on the spaghetti and then on these miniscule pizzas.

A couple of days later it was used as big blobs dotted all through a cheese, onion and tomato quiche.

 I love using it this way as it adds a real depth of flavour to the whole quiche, it works well dotted onto a pizza too, whether it be a homemade one or a store bought one and it's something that I do regularly.

And finally I finished it off on another bowl of penne pasta, which I don't seem to have taken a photo of.  Four days to get one little jar out of my cupboard.  It will be Christmas before my cupboard is empty at this rate!!


Sue xx



18 comments:

  1. Your meals always look so very appetising. Those mini-pizzas look especially delicious. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were very tasty, it's a good job I had already eaten the other two garlic breads or I might have been tempted to do an 'action replay'. :-)

      Delete
  2. Hadn't thought about putting pesto in a home made quiche - I'll try that next time.
    I used to find pesto sometimes went mouldy before I could use it, all but now store it upside down in the fridge and it lasts for ages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started doing it years ago when I had frozen pesto cubes. They slice up really easily from frozen and add a nice pop of colour and flavour to quiches and pizzas.

      Delete
  3. I love pesto, have you tried it mixed through mashed potato, yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one thing I have never tried, I do need to give it a go one day. xx

      Delete
  4. Everything looks delicious and I make pesto with spinach as I really dislike basil! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I make homemade pesto with all sorts of leaves and all sorts of nuts, I never discriminate. But I do love the traditional with basil.

      Delete
  5. Lots of good ideas on how to use pesto! Mixing it in other things is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just a very handy flavour bomb isn't it, and so convenient to have in the cupboard or freezer.

      Delete
  6. Love pesto pasta with peas and dried mushrooms. I agree that one of those garlic breads is just not enough. I downgraded to tescos free from pesto when sacla became so expensive, the first time I ate it I wasn't sure I change over but love it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I used to love the Tesco's own version, but we don't have a Tesco near us. There is one near our Welsh flat though so I will be able to stock up whenever we are there. :-)

      Delete
  7. Yes, I'm curious about the grape must ingredient too!
    It all looks delicious, good idea to use some for mini pizza - yum
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only reason I can think of for it to be there is to make the olive oil go further, I guess it's a cheaper ingredient than using more oil and a less liquid one. The same way that they use whey powder in so many things that contain some milk these days ... it all boils down to cost of production.

      Delete
  8. When it looks like I might have any, I spoon any leftovers like pesto/ chilli paste etc into ice cube trays and store in freezer. Regards June

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is a really good way to keep it isn't it. I've been doing this for years, I found this on my old blog - https://ournewlifeinthecountry.blogspot.com/search?q=freezing+pesto

      Delete
  9. Oh my, everything looks so delicious.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.