Thursday 20 July 2023

Flowers, Good Deeds, Books, Seeds and Deliveries


I was gifted a lovely bunch of pink carnations three weeks ago as a thank you for a little good deed I did via our town Facebook group.  They were unexpected and lovely, and have just lasted and lasted.  No doubt they will be going over in the next few days but while they were here they added an unusual splash of pink to my living room shelf.

The shelf is looking a lot more cluttered than usual at the moment, with my overflow of books having taken up residence since our holiday.  But do you know what I really like it.  There is just enough colour co-ordination to keep it looking organised and not over-crowded.

Well that's my opinion.  😁



A close up of the books for all of you lovely book addicts.  💖


My August edition of Kitchen Garden arrived this week with it's free seeds, which reminded me ...


... I have not yet read the July edition, or sown the red lettuce seeds that I meant to.  I must remedy that over the weekend, and I definintely want to get some cabbage seeds sown in pots ready to fill gaps that will start to appear in the wooden beds soon.


Although it will be a while for gaps to appear if I keep picking my spring onions one at a time. 😄

 I love being able to pick exactly what I need from the garden and not having to buy a whole bunch of something and having to find a use for it all.  Just one of the many perks of growing my own even in a much smaller space than I used to have.

We are off to the Welsh flat tomorrow to start kitting it out ready for use.  Fingers crossed that the first delivery arrives on schedule, it's the bed ... without it we will be sleeping on the floor!!

If you would like to see the flat, I will try and make a small film, or at the very least take lots of photos of it before we put things in.  And then maybe again afterwards, I guess I wouldn't be a true blogger if I didn't now would I.  😀


Sue xx




32 comments:

  1. I would love to have a small container garden for picking a thing or two when I need it. That would cut down on the ones I tend to waste from the store. And I'm looking forward to seeing the pics of your flat! I love before and afters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the secret to saving money when you grow in a small space isn't it, just grow a few things that either get wasted regularly if you only use one of two at a time or are expensive to buy. Even just some 'cut and come again' salad leaves in a large pot can save the cost of buying so many bags of ready washed leaves over the course of the Summer.

      Delete
  2. Hello! How I wish I could garden. I would love to do what you do! I am guilty of wastefulness when I buy bunches of things from the store. My grandma loved carnations, especially pink ones. The very last note I have from her is a piece of paper thanking me for sending her pink carnations. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, that's a lovely note to have, what a lovely memory.

      We all have to start somewhere with gardening, a few houseplants, then some pots outdoors if you can or just lots of herbs on a windowsill. I went from growing nothing to growing on our own five acres, it was a bit of a learning curve for sure.

      Delete
  3. Yes please to photographs of your welsh flat! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another, 'yes please!' to some photographs of your flat :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coming up on the next post, I thought there would be lots of people wanting to see, so I made sure not to forget my phone and camera. :-)

      Delete
  5. Your shelf is perfect, just enough stuff to make it interesting and homely. I love your Vermeer print, it reminds me of my childhood home where Mum had a wall dedicated to her Vermeer collection. Hidden Nature is such a brilliant read.
    Hope you have a lovely time in your Welsh bolthole an dthat the delivery turns up! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like the arrangement on the shelf, the carnations are gone now so I can see my dried lavender again. Hidden Nature is a lovely read and Alys comes over very well in it. I was surprised to find out a couple of weeks ago that little her Jack Russell, Isabel is still going strong. We chatted about our dogs for ages when we met a few years ago.

      Delete
  6. Am I the only twit who turns her head sideways to read all the book titles on the spines which are upright?

    And should I read anything into the Dee Campling title??? 🤭

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope ... I do it as well. :-)

      No, not at the moment, but I can dream ... and drool over books.

      Delete
  7. Your shelf looks pretty and the pink carnations born of a good deed add a nice touch. I am devoted to reading and of course zoomed in on your books. I wonder what The Year of Miracles is about. I have rather large gardens and at my age can not care for them as I did in younger years. My Santa Rosa plums are almost ripe, mulberry tree has fruit for the birds and my four blueberry bushes are very productive. Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Year of Miracles is about a woman coming to terms with the death of her partner, aided and abetted by friendship, homemaking and good food. It's a good read.

      Delete
  8. i would like to see pictures of your flat x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Will be nice to see pics of the flat x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes please photos and any others around Wales you may accidentally take I have resigned myself to the fact I will never get there from Oz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flat photos are on the next post. I will take more around Wales when we visit, this weekend was a grey drizzly affair ... which of course made it perfect for working indoors in the flat and getting stuff done.

      Delete
  11. I love a good roam around other peoples books. How exciting to be getting your flat ready for weekends and holidays - I remember doing it for our cottage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE looking at books on blogs, more people should share their images. It's a lot more work than you think it will be isn't it. We are both shattered today.

      Delete
  12. Another " yes please! " to photos of the flat. Fingers crossed that your bed turns up on time, Sue, I wouldn't be physically able to sleep on the floor now. Or, at least, I wouldn't be able to get up again...lol...
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't have been able to manage the floor either. I think I would have slept in the car if it hadn't turned up.

      Delete
  13. Yes, love to see the flat please! Regards, June

    ReplyDelete
  14. Photos of the Welsh flat would be lovely.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi are the rhonda hetzel books good? Ive wanted to read them but trying to find a copy thats not expensive is hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are good yes, I've had mine since they first came out. I have loved Rhonda's blog for years, she's just on Instagram now. Wow ... I have just had a look on Amazon, and they are going for a lot of money aren't they!!

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.