Tuesday 25 August 2020

Why We Are Friends


When I get into my darker days I wallow for a while ... there's no shame in a bit of a wallow, don't let anyone tell you otherwise ... and then start to sort out for my own peace of mind how I got there, why I got there and what I could do to stop me going there again.

It doesn't always work, nothing is perfect but understanding yourself thoroughly is better than tootling through life like a one eyed, one wheeled minion. 

I realise that this time I simply need to slow myself down.  I was rushing to someone else's timetable, and that is virtually always a recipe for disaster.

I want to be invigorated ... but I want to go slow.


If other people find the rushing to accomplish things invigorating then fine, I have absolutely no objection with that ... although I will look on in amazement and think they are mad.  Indeed not so many years ago I was like that too, but now I have changed.  

And the change feels good.

I simply need to embrace that change once and for all and stop being torn between two worlds.


"What did you do today?"  Is a question I am frequently being asked.

"I did nothing" ... will be my new reply.

The reality will most likely be: walked the dog, did the washing, hoovered the floors, got some shopping ... built a tower of stones.  But who actually needs to know that.  If saying I did nothing calms my mind, soothes my soul and lets me not dwell on  the minutiae of day to day living then 'I did nothing' sounds good to me.

Thank you for all your comments yesterday ... now I know why we are friends 💖


Sue xx



16 comments:

  1. When I retired a couple of years ago (from an insanely busy career), people would ask me (often, in horror)-- What are you going to do? My reply? Whatever I damned well please. And so I did. None of it involved frantic dashing, stupid deadlines or being around folks who simply annoyed me. Such a blessing. We don't need to justify our existence. There are days when it is good enough to simply be---if only we let ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly ... 'We don't need to justify our existence.' Perfectly put :-)

      Delete
  2. I agree with you entirely. We should just tell people 'I did nothing'. We all have this urge to justify ourself to others and I've no idea why. Sorry I missed your post yesterday, I'm glad you said you're feeling a bit better now. I've had a bad week dealing with my dog being in hospital. Now I'm dealing with insurance claims for it!! My dog is fine now and the insurance will get sorted when I get my sensible head back on! Take care. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad your dog is fine now, and pleased that although it's a lot of faff the insurance will be sorted, eventually.

      Delete
  3. It is sad that we always learn these lessons so late in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most definintely, gosh if we knew and understood what we know now in our twenties or even thirties how different things would be.

      Delete
  4. The perfect answer.... "Nothing". Go you, Sue!! Love, Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's what my boys always told me on that walk home from school each afternoon. 'What did you do today?' I would ask 'nothing' they would reply. How simple a way to end a conversation you just don't want to have.

      Delete
  5. I like a day of doing nothing, with me it is usually drop spindling. It is a slow way to make yarn but so soothing and it's not meant to be a race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should imagine that is a lovely calming way to 'do nothing', and of course you have something really good at the end of it :-)

      Delete
  6. Blimey when did you get in my head and read my thoughts? 🤣🤣🤣
    When I am down I do wallow a while to work out how it all came about.I am retired early due to Parkinsons and I am constantly asked , "But what do you do all day?". My answer... not much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems there are a lot of us in the same mindset :-)

      Delete
  7. I had to laugh yesterday as Hubby asked me if I done my exercises (takes 10 mins) and I said no I ran out of time, we laughed as I'm at home all day:) Obviously I'm busy doing nothing. Have fun doing nothing Sue but of course we know you will be doing heaps:) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's just it I do actually do things for most of the day, I just don't need to list them every day. And the days I really do do nothing can just tootle calmly by.

      Delete
  8. I find it a blooming cheek when folk ask what you've done with your day, for example as you're going through the checkout. I don't think they're even interested, just making conversation. My dad used to say MYOB (mind your own business) if asked things he didn't want to answer. When I was a kid, on Sundays no shops were open and most of the day was spent reading, watching TV etc. Now you're expected to be busy busy busy, filling your time 24/7 and justify what you've been doing with your time. No wonder so many folk are stressed and exhausted! You've worked hard all your life Sue bringing up family, running a home, out working. You've earned the right to do what you like and I believe that we would all be in a better place for some regular down time xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfectly put, and I LOVE your Dad's response to things he didn't want to answer ;-)

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.