Tuesday 13 April 2021

It Has to Get Worse Before it Gets Better ...


It's been all go at the new place in the last few days.  

We have had a general handyman in doing lots of the jobs that Alan would usually do, but that since his Covid jab has been too unwell to even consider.  Dave, who seems to be a Jack of all trades and master at them too, has cracked on magnificently.  The kitchens were both due to be ripped out and put in the skip that's arriving today, but then on Thursday night of last week I decided to try putting mine on Facebook Marketplace with Alan's base units being thrown in as a freebie.  


They were snapped up by the first person to get in touch.  So instead of paying to have them taken out, we were paid and they were removed on Saturday by a guy called Phillip and two of his mates.  A couple of hours and they were both disconnected, out of the houses and loaded on to the van to be taken away and made good use of in a house he's renovating - result  😀


How Alan's kitchen looked before.


How it looked immediately after the removal.


And how it looks after yesterday morning's cleaning session and us capping off the pipes and making the live wires safe.

Alan has chosen to have grey gloss base units in the same style and finish as the wall units, with an almost black worktop, a new stainless steel sink and an integrated washer, oven and hob.  It's going to look very smart.


Dave has also been very busy outside in the yard, taking down the dividing fence ...
 

... and breaking up a large section of the flag stoned area so we can have plants and gravel and make a more natural looking garden.  The flags that he has taken up will be used to fill in the area outside the patio doors that is down to bare earth as the decking that was there was in a really bad state.


Here's a bird's eye view of all his hard work.

The pergola will also be coming down next as it is not as strong as it looks.

And the view from the top floor window.

The fence panels that were dividing the two areas originally are going to be used in this area at the end of the annexe and along the bottom of the garden, and a new fence will be put in between us and the neighbours once some more of the work has been done.  They have been nice enough to let us be able to remove one of their panels to gain access to the skip at the front through their driveway, as our only access to the front would have been through the house.


Also in Alan's, the falling to bits fitted wardrobes have been removed and the larger of the bedrooms on the middle floor now looks even bigger and will be Alan's.

So, it's all coming along nicely and we are on track to get done what we want to do.  I'm trying to upload some photos of my kitchen to show you but my phone is not playing ball  😒

Yay, it's working now, here we are ...


As it was.


Straight after the kitchen had been removed ...


... and after a bit of a tidy up.  

We didn't have anything to clean the floor with after we had swept it, but as the tiles are to be prised off the wall today it didn't really matter.  All the dark turquoise paint is to be painted over with a couple of coats of white paint to hide the colour and then the whole annexe will be painted white.

Oh, and it won't be called 'the annexe' for much longer, it has a new name and a brand new name plaque to go up outside once all the work is done.  I mean, I know I'm a granny and it's an annexe but I didn't want to be living in a granny annexe  😄😉

The new Challenge is up and running now on my other blog - Challenging Myself


Sue xx


30 comments:

  1. Gosh, what a huge difference, very exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things are starting to happen at last, it's only been a couple of weeks but it feels like forever!!

      Delete
  2. Good progress already. Thanks for showing all the stages, it's very interesting seeing the in-between and not just before and after. Morag xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to have a record of the work as well isn't it rather than just the 'Before' and then the 'Ta-Da' after photos ;-)

      Delete
  3. Upheaval like that always disturbs my equilibrium and makes me feel very anxious, but I'm sure it will be worth it in the end for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh ... me too!! That's why it's nice that with this move that we can stay in my flat while the work is going on and until we have all the furniture in place and our things unpacked. What a luxury eh :-)

      Delete
  4. Wow, things are really moving along. I'm sorry to hear Alan is still not 100% since his jab. I have a more traditional style kitchen in my mind for you, perhaps a shaker in a grey or pebble colour. I'm probably wrong!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a different man since he had the jab, don't know whether it's just coincidental and even he says that the jab is still worth having, but he's had one thing after another wrong with him, and now that he's on blood thinning tablets he's cold ALL the time, it's like living in a bloody sauna having him here at the flat.

      Delete
    2. Nope ... it's green all the way for me, but you're half right as the cupboard doors are a bit Shaker in style. It's just being designed for me at the moment :-)

      Delete
    3. My hubby, who's also on blood thinners, is always cold too, whilst I sit here sweating my bits off. Hope Alan's health improves soon.

      Delete
  5. Your little home will be a lot lighter for having that panelling down, that's for sure. It's certainly a work in progress now and good that someone else benefitted from the spare kitchen units.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it's so much better, just look at that morning sun streaming in both the rooms, and the animals will be able to run backwards and forwards between the two homes.

      Yes, the guy was really pleased with them, he's doing up a house on a strict budget and now he's got a kitchen with some appliances for £100 ... and we got the kitchen removed and taken away for free :-)

      Delete
  6. I am beginning to see that I am an addict. I am not only excited by the renovations we do, but I get excited to see the befores and afters at everyone else's places! I think that your white kitchen will make the place feel much more airy and open, and I'm very interested in seeing how you maximize your space. You are very clever that way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always so pleased when all the work is over, and I ALWAYS say never again!! Hopefully this will be the last big work I ever have to go through.

      I'm hoping the white walls, green units and all the natural wood that will be there will make it look nice, I'll know in about eight weeks.

      Delete
    2. It's all looking ready for lovely fresh changes.
      Just a tip you may not know, when decoraters are covering strong colours they use a Grey undercoat.

      Delete
    3. Yes, the Dulux certified decorator that we have to do the work says a coat of very pale grey and then two coats of white undercoat should do it. It's a very strong colour. I remember going over my son's red painted feature wall took me FIVE coats of white paint before I sold my first solo house.

      Delete
  7. Sorry to hear that your husband suffered a blood clot after his jab. I was hesitant as I have had a pulmonary embolism many years ago, but so far so good my 2nd jab is end of may so will be relieved when that one is out of the way. Did Alan have to report his clot? I was advised never to sit too long or go on long haul flights coach trips etc. Best wishes to him for a speedy recovery it does knock your stamina for a good while.

    Your homes are going to look great once finished. How will you explain to neighbours that you live singly but together if that makes sense. Anyway enjoy this new chapter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't think we had to report his clot, we sort of assumed his doctor that he went to immediately it happened or the hospital that he attended for the scan and second round of treatment would have had to do that rather than us, they were all made aware that it happened three days after his vaccination so it has been recorded. Now you've got me thinking!

      We've met a few of the neighbours, the ones next door and the folk across the road already and had some lovely chats, but I don't think I'll be doing any explaining to anyone. After all it's nobody's business but our own what we do and how we live, it impacts on no-one else.

      Delete
  8. Wow - you've done such a lot, so quickly, despite adverse circumstances and lovely neighbours are a real treasure. I'm so looking forward to the 'finished' photos. It will look great.
    Hoping Alan will feel much better very quickly and that things resolve for him.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to see something happening at last. The garden rubble is being thrown in the skip today and our handyman is cracking on at a good pace. Unfortunately, Alan is having quite a bad few days at the moment, it's really knocked him for six this, fingers crossed he can get over this.

      Delete
  9. You certainly don't hang about when it comes to getting things done - wonderful! May I ask how you are managing with both kitchens ripped out at the same time?

    Love the photo from the upstairs window - it looks like a lovely neighbourhood.

    I had my first shot yesterday (Pfizer) and I'm feeling very tired and a wee bit nauseous - but I'm like Allan - still worth it! Hope he feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't live at the new properties yet, Alan has moved into my rented flat with me and we have another 3 months here, thank goodness 😃

      Delete
  10. Its fantastic when you can really get stuck into a project like yours yet can go back to the flat at the end of a hard day. It will all look stunning when finished. I love the view from upstairs too and how nice to have lovely neighbours. Thank you for sharing the renovation journey with us Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've only once taken out and replaced a kitchen, and will be doing mine very soon. So I'm very interested to see how both your kitchens look. And I'm with you on the 'granny' annexe label!! Can't wait to see the new name :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is about the fourth kitchen I've had to do from scratch, hence me not moving in until it's finished this time 🤣

      Delete
  12. Everything is coming together nicely. Looks like it is going to be just perfect.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is all so exciting! I love seeing the pictures of the progress. Both kitchens will be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful to see the progress you've made already, very exciting times ahead:) I do so hope Alan feels much better very soon xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looking forward to seeing the garden and kitchen progress x

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.