Friday 9 April 2021

Saving Things for Best

 

Claude Monet - The Boat Studio 1876

I think I confused some of my readers yesterday when I said  ...to quote myself   'It was a recently made quilt but made from vintage fabrics, so it's pretty precious to me and full of memories.'  There were so many helpful tips on looking after my lovely old quilt and preserving it, and I really do thank you for those.  But I wasn't asking for tips I was simply stating things as they are, those of you who have  got to know me over the years know that I use my things for the purpose for which they are intended all the time.  Yes I might have been 'quite dismayed when it came out of the washing machine' and I saw all it's rips and tears, done I hasten to add before it went into the washing machine!!

In my life I don't have best plates, best cutlery or best textiles of any description.  If I love something I use it daily, I use it until it wears out and then and only then do I replace it with something that I can love all over again.

We aren't in this world to store up treasures, we are here to live lives and lives are so much better lived if you love your surroundings, your stuff and your day to day things.  So there are no things in my life packed in away in boxes or drawers for best, waiting to be used on special occasions.  Each and every day that we are on this planet is a special occasion and I use my things as though each and every day could be my last.

After all when I'm gone are either of my large hulking sons going to want a delicate old quilt full of memories and dog hairs?  No they will probably do what I did when my Nana and Gran died and just help themselves to something small and meaningful.  Then they can go off and spend all the money I saved from not buying day today things to use while the best stuff lay languishing.

Sue xx



19 comments:

  1. Great philosophy, Sue. I don't have stuff for 'best' use either - if I did it would only get broken by clumsy husband, or covered in dog slurp!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that your philosophy is sound. I have never understood the joy of having things that you never use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sentiments exactly, Sue. There are a few items that I have and will pass along to the next generation... but not many. :) ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. When my nana died she had cupboards full of things saved for best.
    When my mother died she left a garage full of boxes of things she saved for best.
    Like you, I use what I love best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same with my granny. And when my Mum downsized her home and was passing on household treasures, I took a lovely set of cutlery that I'd admired for years...and horrified her by using them for everyday. Life is too short and uncertain to save things for "good". Every day deserves to be good😊

      Delete
  5. The only 'best'things not in regular use we have are some crystal glasses - these are used, but not often- we use funky ikea or asda glasses most times as these can go in the dishwasher. The crystal is beautiful and I love it but it is not practical for daily use. I am not precious about it, though - if a piece gets broken whilst being used then so be it - it was broken serving its purpose :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too totally agree with using the things you have. When myMother passed several years ago she had so many ithings that she had in drawers or in boxes that she never used/wore. It was heartbreaking knowing a lot were gifts to her over the years so she could enjoy something just for her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hehehe...sons aren't daughters are they.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness, I don't know what I would have done with daughters ... only had one for a start!!

      Delete
  8. So wise and so YOU! I love it! Years ago I was saving a good set of dishes for company and then one day I had a revelation--the special people in my life were the ones who lived with me! So I started using my "best" dishes everyday and my girls were so surprised when I asked them to set the table with those dishes. Lesson learned. Good for you, Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's something I struggle with to be honest! Especially clothes wise. Believe me I have some lovely clothes, 2 wardrobes full at least, yet every day you'll find in black leggings, an old long tunic of some description and a variety of fleece! I must address this problem!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have a very wise approach to things and I need to learn to be more like that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes there is a sadness with keeping things for best. My lovely Mum never bought herself anything nice, so I bought her an Oroton wallet when they were very trendy, I told her to use it for everyday and when it wore out I would replace it.Of course it was kept for best and only used a few times, it was in mint condition when she died.
    Being raised in the great depression affected her whole life.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great philosophy. I try and do the same thing, though there are a few things I really have trouble using.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well said. I use the china tea cups my Nan got for her 21st birthday. It's been exactly a year since I said goodbye to her yet, every time I make a cup of tea in those cups, it's like she's right here with me. That's a treasure... knowing love and remembering it deeply through USING the items she treasured.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well said. It's been exactly a year since I said goodbye to my Nan and I use her antique dining table and chairs, tea cups gifted to her on her 21st birthday, wooden spoon and sundry items every single day. Every moment of every day I can remember her. These things are made to be used and use them I shall.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I used to have 'best' they rarely got used and then I realised that if I didn't use them, what's the point? So now I use 'best' a lot and it makes me very happy.
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.