Thursday 27 April 2023

After the Break

 

To be totally and transparently honest my break from blogging for the last few days was not just because of our weekend away, but also due to a health scare.  

Once again my blood pressure has gotten totally out of control and lots of changes have to be and are being made.  Signing myself out of hospital last Thursday so that we could go on holiday was the best thing that I could have done, as with Alan doing all the driving and me being able to mostly relax and having new higher dose tablets the readings on my blood pressure monitor started to dip consistently.   As requested by the consultant I returned to the hospital for a check upon Monday as soon as we got back, and this saw me being signed off and handed back into the care of my GP.  

Last night I got a telephone message from the NHS Portal informing me that an telephone consultation appointment with a cardiologist has been made for me for a follow up.  The date of the appointment ... 30th April 2024.  They must have quite the waiting list if they are booking in phone calls over a year in advance!!


Hardcastle Craggs from the viewing point just up the road from our lovely holiday home.  As you can see from the top photo we also had a similar view while we were washing the pots each evening.

We stayed in a National Trust holiday home, Widdop Gate Barn, a converted barn in West Yorkshire.


Oh I saw alright ... drinking in the views and thinking on how lucky we were to be able to be there.


As you stepped into our holiday home the kitchen still has the old stalls for the cattle, with the table and chairs in the largest and a washing machine and a dish washer in the two smaller ones.


The vast window in the dining area, which really let in the cold at night.  The curtains were drawn straight after tea to try and keep things cosy.  Alan loves barns, and this was a good example of one that had been converted very sympathetically with hardly any full interior walls or false ceilings ... which made it very chilly!!

The photos on the National Trust website make it look a lot smaller and cosier than it was in reality.


The main bedroom, even this large king-sized bed seemed dwarfed in the space.

We had a large log burner in our Welsh house, but although this one was twice the size it still seemed dwarfed by the room it was in, and we went through a LOT of logs.  We sat wrapped in fleece blankets watching the television, wishing we had brought binoculars as it seemed so far away,


We went into Hebden Bridge on both the Saturday and Sunday, and the vibe on the two days was totally different.  On Saturday it was full of visitors dashing around taking photos and bustling through the shops and the market.  On the Sunday there was a large contingent of motorbikes parked in the square, with all the owners sat outside the many pavement cafes drinking coffees and chatting happily away.  There was a busker playing his heart out, and everything was just so much more chilled and laid back.

The dogs both loved the break, and once they mastered all the stone steps in the barn were relaxed and happy to be away with us ... but they were even happier when we got home.


This time, unusually for me, I bought my self a few souvenirs, but of course you know me ... they had to be useful things too.  

The wooden 'flour' box is actually lovely old wood and if I turn it around the other way on my shelf it will just look like a beautiful wooden box and the cockerel will be my little secret.  I was in the pottery shop making my rather excessive selection, when the 3pm emergency alarm practice went off on everyone's phones, causing much confusion to some people who had no idea what was going on.  It did get us all talking to each other and we had a good laugh as some phones were slightly late to the party and rang five minutes later.

Back soon.


Sue xx



36 comments:

  1. I am sorry about your health scare, good to know you have been seen and things are becoming stabilized. Thanks for sharing photos of your trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least now I know I can do something about it. :-)

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear about the BP blip- thank goodness you soon got sorted out. The cottage looks like a lovely spot for a break and I love your pottery purchases and the box

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not quite sorted out yet, I have a new higher dosage of tablets to try and help though as well as two more appointments for blood tests and tablet reviews etc, so it's on the way to being sorted.

      It was a very peaceful location for a little holiday, and Mavis rediscovered her love of rabbit holes!!

      Delete
  3. Gosh what a shock to the system, I did wonder whether you were ok. So sorry to hear about your hospital stay but glad the new meds and the holiday sorted things out. The cottage does look a bit chilly doesn't it, Sue, but the views are stunning. Thank you for sharing the photos. I do hope you continue to improve rapidly. Sending hugs x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not quite sorted out yet, but I'm on the way to it being hopefully. :-)

      The views were amazing and we virtually saw lambs being born, Alan went over to help one ewe who was struggling a bit and saw the farmer helping another.

      Delete
  4. That must have been a bit of a scare. It sounds as though some time away was just what you needed. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was exactly what we needed, time to relax and just potter about the barn, and the dogs loved Alan taking them for long walks across the fields.

      Delete
  5. Glad you were able to have a break away and medication is working for you, sorry your accommodation wasn’t as warm,cosy and snuggly as it looked.
    It’s always nice to get home isn’t it 😃
    Best wishes, Country Cook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does look a LOT cosier on the website photographs doesn't it. Luckily we had fleecy blankets in the living room and a warm, cosy and very comfortable bed, so we both slept really well. Yes, it's always good to get home.

      Delete
  6. So glad you got a break away and that your health is improving x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting there, and the little holiday certainly helped. xx

      Delete
  7. First glad you're feeling better and your meds are working. It took a couple different meds for my husband to get his under control. That looks like a great vacation and love the bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been on three different ones before now and all gave me serious side effects, hence the break from all meds for two years. This one seems to be working up to now and the increased dosage should finally get things under control, fingers crossed.

      It was a good little holiday and just what we needed ... and it's only a couple of weeks until our next one. :-)

      Delete
  8. Boy - do I understand about health scares! I've just had the biopsy results from a lump in my right breast - thankfully all benign but possibly one of the most frightening things I've been through! Fiona x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so pleased that everything turned out okay for you, what a horrible scare. xx

      Delete
  9. Hello! I am sorry to hear of the health issue. I am so glad you were able to enjoy the getaway in that beautiful, cozy setting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was just what we both needed with me being unwell and Alan being rushed off his feet with work.

      Delete
  10. Hi just started reading your blog and jolted me into thinking I should really make an effort to menu plan and discover what's lurking in the cupboard and freezer. Tonight we had ham egg and chips. OH does most of the shopping and cooking so it's a bit hit and miss and not for lack of funds lol
    Glad you had a lovely holiday and are well now.
    Sally from sunny Devon but it rained all day today

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I REALLY need to get back to menu planning, it just makes life so much easier doesn't it. The weather is being really weird this year isn't it, it's so cold here today I've actually got the heating on.

      Delete
  11. That was quite the health scare and what a relief that it seems settled now. The views from the holiday home-barn are lovely, but it does look like it'd be cold at night. It's good to take a break, and good to return home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's on it's way to being settled, thanks. :-)

      It was good to close those huge long curtains and try to warm the place up a bit with lots of logs on the log burner. I dread to think what the heating bill for that place is.

      Delete
  12. You poor thing, being hospitalised must have been really frightening. I'm glad your BP has stabilised now.
    The holiday home looks beautiful, what a treat. What a shame about it being so cold. This month has been desperately disappointing weather-wise, apparently the coldest in 70 years, roll on Summer.
    Lovely photo of Alan and the boys. One of my friends has just bought a house in Hebden, she's got a pug called Stanley. I bet you'd have chatted if you'd bumped into each other!
    Love your souvenirs, sure beat a fridge magnet and a straw donkey! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hebden is lovely if a little hilly, I don't think I could cope with all the hills and the sets of stairs necessary to reach a lot of the front doors. Yes we tend to chat a lot to other dog owners, even more so if they have Pugs. Alan and the dogs loved the holiday, they are girls by the way, the dogs that is not Alan. ;-)

      Delete
  13. Oh Sue, a BP scare like that is not funny and hopefully you and your doctors will soon have things under control.
    Your holiday accommodation looks gorgeous and I can see how all that space would suck the heat away. Welcome home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dosage has just been upped for the third time, hopefully this time I can reach a reasonable level and stay on this medication. I seem to have bad side-effects to most of the others, hence me being off any tablets for the past two years.

      Oh the heat was sucked high up into the rafters, even Alan got cold and he's warm blooded.

      Delete
  14. Health scares are so worrying and I'm more sorry than I can say that you have had this experience. Your holiday accommodation looks lovely; a shame about the cold though.
    As for the pottery and the box - can I say I am envious? ;-)

    Take care and be kind to yourself. Lots of love.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even feel unwell until I went to the doctors!! I have a severe case of White Coat Syndrome, and I always react badly to anything medical. This time because I have been off tablets for two years now I reacted very badly. Ah well, it's all being sorted now.

      Delete
  15. Hope this comment finds you relaxing at home and with a much lower blood pressure. Sudden unexpected health problems are worrying - but how wise to continue with the holiday and in such a lovely place. Looking forward to more posts when you feel up to it. Take care x
    PS will be passing by in a day or two and will give you a wave as usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At home after a morning of doctors, breakfast out and shopping but now for a relaxing weekend. The new higher dose I've just been given should help. Fingers crossed.

      I'll climb on the roof and wave towards the motorway ... no wait that might bring the blood pressure even higher ... I'll think of you heading to bonny Scotland instead. Safe travels. :-)

      Delete
  16. Sorry to hear of the health scare but glad it's being sorted now. Beautiful photos. It looks lovely and the views spectacular but just a shame it was cold. I can't wait for better weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes we are usually lucky with the weather being quite warm when we have a break near my birthday. This is the first year, and the first National Trust property that has felt this cold. We do need a bit of warmth don't we. xx

      Delete
  17. Sorry to hear you are having health worries and that the altered medication helps. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it does seem to be having some impact. xx

      Delete
  18. Sorry about your health scare. Glad that the Hospital got you sorted soon and hope that your BP meds continue to work well. I have to say that barn was somewhat roomy. Wood Burners need to be appropriate to heat the size of the room they are in. Nuff said! As for that tiny tv - well, I can see why you said bino's were needed!

    I'm glad you enjoyed Hebden Bridge and finding a few treasures to bring home. Some good charity shops there, as I remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The BP meds are starting to work and I'm in slightly more normal territory now. The peak of 240/130 and a heart rate of 133 per minute had everyone worried. It was a HUGE wood burner and when it was lit did the job of warming us up, but having such high ceilings I bet the warmest place to be would have been sat on one of the beams. We had a good time though. Hebden Bridge was lovely, especially on the Sunday.

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.