Thursday 6 April 2023

Assembling, Growing, Packing Away and Sheep


I feel like I've been missing from the blog for ages, when in reality it was only Monday when I last posted.  I have no excuses except fitting in some extra tasks as well as being busy at work.

The little greenhouse thingy was assembled and checked for size in the bedroom last week.  It's going to be fine there for my trays of seeds and eventually seedlings and small plants once I get going.  But I have not been in a rush to sow seeds as yet because the App on my phone Garden Focused tells me we might still get a late frost at the end of this month or the beginning of next here in my town.  Anyway, I've always found that late sown seeds romp away, another reason not to panic.

It might seem a bit strange to have the greenhouse in the bedroom but it is literally the best place for the growing seeds, seedlings, plants etc to get the most warmth and sunlight ... if the sunshine ever comes back that is ... while they are too small and tender to go outside.  When the sun does shine the Lodge is bathed in the glorious warmth and light virtually all day on the side where the bedroom and living room French doors are.


As you can see from the top photo at first the lone occupant of the greenhouse was Cecil the Courgette plant, he should have had two sisters but they didn't germinate at the same time as him. 


I've also been packing away my heavier Winter jumpers and re-acquainting myself with all my t-shirts and Summery tops.  In fact it as probably me doing this on a sunny Tuesday that brought the rain clouds back with a vengeance yesterday.  Alan did say it was all my fault 😄

Luckily I kept out my cardigans and waterproof jackets.

Chatting to my hairdresser last week about changing over clothes to suit the season, she really didn't understand at all, saying she prefers to just turn up the heating and continue to wear t-shirts all year round ... I'm obviously paying her far too much!!

But when you live in a small space and have one drawer for clothes and a wardrobe with one hanging rail, it just makes sense to have a swap around and leave the heavier things to rest for a few months and see different things hanging or lined up in the drawers.  Looking at some of my t-shirts and remembering how many years I have been wearing them for, makes me realise the clothes like having a rest too. 

Just a week later and look how well Cecil is doing ... a meet a little relative of his now poking her head out above the compost. 


My greenhouse is now bursting at the seams with my new tomato plants and a basil plant.  
Cecil was on the worktop for the photo above when I took this photo in the bedroom.

The cover will stay off now so that the seedlings get maximum sunlight until the greenhouse is moved outside, and then it will be firmly attached to the support post of the shed so it doesn't blow over or away.  These have not got a good track record for being able to stand on their own four feet!!


Finally, looked who popped up in my Facebook Memories yesterday. 


Suky and Mavis were great friends with Jasmine and they had many great games of chasing each other all around the paddock.  It must have confused a lot of motorists to see a lamb chasing a dog and then a dog chasing a lamb ... which probably caused some concern ... before they then rolled over and collapsed in a heap together.

Happy days. 



Sue xx



6 comments:

  1. I have the same greenhouse and despite being tied to posts it still blew over last year in a storm and wrecked all my seedlings!! I don't pack away clothes for the season, I just layer up in Winter and strip off in Summer! LOL!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll just tie it down the best I can and hope for the best ... it's worth a try. At least I know it's safe while it's in my bedroom. :-)

      Delete
  2. I wear pretty much the same in winter as in summer. Just add a camisole and a fleece gilet when it gets colder. Regards June

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do pretty much, but I also have some thicker winterweight jumpers that take up a lot of room in the drawer while they are out. And I also have some really lightweight and lighter coloured t-shirts and tops that would be silly to wear in winter.

      Delete
  3. Can't pack away winter clothes yet, but things are looking up. Hopefully by the end of the month.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I kept the fleeces and the cardigans out, although it was warm in the sunshine this morning it's already really cooling down.

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.