Monday 17 April 2023

Mother in Laws, and It's a ...

 


My Mother in Law's Tongue plant by the front door is getting taller and taller and is loving this placement.  According to growing instructions that you see online they are supposed to favour warm places, so maybe being so close to the back of the fridge freezer and with access to the evening sun when it shines through the glass is really suiting it.

They are also known as Snake Plant due to the markings on the leaves, and reading about it earlier, to be able to propagate it you are supposed to lift and carefully divide the main plant before replanting it in separate pots.


Nope ... I've never done that, I just snip off a selection of leaves and stand them in a jug of water for a couple of months, changing the water when I remember.  It's always worked for me.


This was the one I did last year.  

It was just three stems from the original plant and now there are seven, the original plant is also busy replacing the half dozen I snipped off a couple of weeks ago.  A good investment as it looks like I will never be short of Mother in Laws.  πŸ˜„


Well the Gender Reveal party went off okay, to be honest the family meal beforehand was more 'our' type of thing, but it was nice to see so many 'youngsters'  dressed up to the nines and enjoying themselves in the nightclub in Accrington that we had taken over for the afternoon.

And what is my new great grandchild to be ... It's a Boy!!

This is a photo of the happy parents to be, Ellie and Liam, and Mason the new baby's big brother.  And not long after baby's gender was revealed we all got an email letting us know that his name will be Finley James and he should be with us around 8th September.


I shouldn't have been surprised that it's a boy really as we are happily overrun with boys in our family.  This photo shows my ex-husband Pete on the left, the eldest of our sons, Simon on the right and his three sons in the middle, sadly we couldn't catch Mason to get him on this photo,  if we had it would have been four generations of boys.

πŸ‘ΆπŸ‘ΆπŸ‘Ά



Sue xx


15 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed your night out. Love the photo of the boys and of Ellie, Liam and cheeky little Mason. Congratulations to you all.
    My mother in law's tongue took ages to get going but loves it on the landing windowsill. I didn't know about the propagation, I might have to give that a try. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was in the afternoon, we were back home with the dogs by 5.30pm ... phew we are most certainly not nightclub people anymore. :-)

      Oh gosh yes, Mason is a cheeky little thing. Getting a photo of him without his 'body builder pose' or a screwed up face was a work of art.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on the new g-grandson! As for the plant, I just take a knife, cut the mother-in-law's plant through the roots wherever I want to divide it, and stick the new potion in a pot. No fancy rooting! Never had any problem getting them to grow, in fact I've gotten so many I now throw them on the compost when they get to big for the pot! No one here wants any more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.

      I don't lift the plant out of the pot at all, I just snip off a leaf at soil level with my scissors, it seems very cruel, but it works. At a minimum of £25 for a decent sized plant in these parts I won't be throwing any on the compost heap!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on the upcoming great grandson. I think I had a m in laws tongue plant years ago - don't remember what happened to it. I miss African violets - can't seem to buy them now, a few years ago you could buy them easily.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. xx

      Come to think of it I haven't seen African Violets for ages. Mind you I walk round the garden centre trying NOT to look at plants or I will end up spending more than I mean to. :-)

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on the soon to be new member of the family.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yet another Christmas present to buy. :-)

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on the latest addition to your family. We are a family of boys, I have three and my sister has one, boys are so loving and now that mine are well and truly grown up, very protective of mum, I very fondly remember after me having major surgery my eldest strapping young man sitting me up and cradling me so that I could take a drink, brought a tear to my eyes. I do love those plants but have never had one but sadly I would now have to have " ex-mother in law's tongue " :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I always wanted boys growing up, I did say I would have two boys and then two girls, but I soon changed my mind after my youngest didn't sleep through the night for 14 months.

      Delete
  6. The lucky parents won't be short of clothes for the new arrival when he appears, not with all those boys in the family.
    I'm glad you had such a nice time. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly they don't seem to 'do' hand-me-downs' these days. I'm sure some more sensible youngsters do but not in my family .... I wonder sometimes if they are even related to me!!

      Delete
  7. Aw they are lovely photos, you must be very proud of your family. And a new baby boy to look forward too! I love the name Finley James πŸ‘

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful family event. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations to all! Finley is a good name

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.