Monday 3 April 2023

What Shelley Said ....

 


On my post the other day about the end of quarter round up of my non-challenge Challenge, Shelley commented that perhaps I should still accompany Alan to the supermarket for the 'pleasure of getting out ...' and that perhaps I would 'learn to enjoy browsing'. 

What a brilliant idea I thought!!

So I went with Alan on Saturday morning to Aldi, yep ... as you can see from the top photo it didn't quite go to plan did it!!  😂

In fact it went to pot before we even stepped inside the doors.  Alan had gone to grab the one trolley that I would push for him while he shopped ... I didn't need one I wasn't shopping!   I stood looking casually in the direction of the plants ... that for once all looked very healthy ... and what should I see but TOMATO PLANTS.  I haven't even sown my seeds yet and here were some lovely tomato plants all ready to nurture.  I decided then and there that I would buy two pots.  One pot has a single plant and the other has a little bonus seedling, so it's a sort of buy two get one free.

There were no small trolleys available so Alan had to get a large one so I put my plants in the child seat and left the body of the trolley for Alan to fill up ... he had a long list.

Then I spotted the Iceberg lettuces and knew I was about to run out so I picked one up, moved the plants along a bit and placed them in a cauliflower bag that I found on the floor.  That's it I told myself firmly, there's nothing else I need ... oh except for some Corned Beef for Mum and Alan's butties on Wednesday, oh and some paracetamol ... ooh look hash browns, oh well I might as well get a bottle of wine .... oooooh the dark chocolate biscuits are back.

You get the picture.

I'm not a natural born window shopper or a browser ... and it's amazing what you can fit into the child seat of a supermarket trolley when you try.

I'd go and practice this browsing lark again, but I am swiftly running out of money so I daren't risk it. 😄


I spent a total of £27.47 in Aldi.

Then I got home and my birthday present to myself arrived in the post.

I've wanted this book for ages and when I spotted it on Ebay I just knew it would be my birthday present to myself.  It was £20 ... gulp.  

But as it was priced at £20 plus £3 postage and packing and I made an offer of £17 which was accepted, and so I got it for £20 in total, I do feel a little bit better about it.  And I absolutely love it, so I am happy, happy happy ... and what price happiness. 💝

So just one day later and my cash in hand total now stands at just £17.72.

Ooops  😁

I have my vouchers and my Nectar points too, so I am not even slightly worried about lasting until the end of May.  This week I will be raiding the freezer and the cupboard and not spending any more money ... and also not going anywhere to browse, to window shop or to look at food of any description.


Sue xx



26 comments:

  1. Oh dear, maybe it’s best to not go out with Alan each time?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would seem at the moment if we don't go to the shops together we don't get to see each other much. He currently has a very heavy workload with the day job and literally falls asleep when he stops.

      Delete
  2. Hello! Well, I think you did get some wonderful items! And that book?!? Love!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good mixed shop isn't it, and I can't wait to sit and browse through my 'new to me' book, I've never followed a recipe in comic form before, so I will have to make something from it just to see how it works out. :-)

      Delete
  3. I see you’re a lover of chocolate ‘half covered’ as well. They only come on special occasionally here so I don’t feel too bad about buying them…occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You cannot beat a good chocolate digestive can you. Aldi used to sell these and then changed the recipe last year adding milk back into them so I couldn't eat them anymore Then I saw someone on Facebook saying that they were back to the milk-free recipe and I had to go and see for myself .

      Delete
  4. I have never masted the fine art of browsing myself. "Lead me not into temptation..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or to quote Oscar Wilde ... 'I can resist everything except temptation'. ;-)

      Delete
  5. It's so easy to rack up a spend of £30 these days - 'just looking' :)
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sue, how's the Fast 800 going? I'm about 8 weeks in and got into a rhythm with it now. I do a 16 hour total fast (not even milk in tea), a tiny lunch and moderate dinner. Plus weekends off. I'm managing to drop about 1lb per week, if I carried on through the weekend I'm sure it would be more but I like my weekend grub!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've stopped counting and measuring so much now but I am still doing 14 hour TRE, I find this suits me just great and like you am losing a steady 1lb per week, even though I do relax what I eat during the day at weekends ... and the wine seems to have found me again. ;-)

      Delete
  7. That sounds very much like me ! I am a useless browser.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the supermarkets rely on us being useless browsers. ;-)

      Delete
  8. Ah, I can explain, you have an Aries imp that whispers in your ear to lead you into shopping temptation, it is a little b*gger and always catches you out when you are trying so very hard to be good. No use at all to try and tame the b*gger cos believe me mine has been at it for years so good luck Sue xx from Jan in Castle Gresley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my little Aries imp was eaten by it's cousin the big Aries dragon, and now it roars in my ear on a regular basis. ;-)

      But I wouldn't dream of trying to tame it, it comes in very useful sometimes. :-)

      Delete
  9. It must be a fire sign thing, I'm exactly the same! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha ... there are a lot of us it would seem. :-)

      Delete
  10. I haven't sown my Tomato seeds yet either - just not had the time so might resort to plants too. Perhaps you could try something like those blinkers they put on horses when you go shopping LOL! I did exactly the same on Saturday evening in Sainsbury's we had gone for small tomatoes, toilet rolls and celery. I came back with 3 Easter eggs (for mum to give the grandchildren), and £40's worth of other shopping (all on offer)...oh and a pack of Easter cards as I didn't get to make any and probably won't this week - and I forgot the celery!!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still going to sow some seeds at the start of next week, but the plants will give me a head start. It's so easy to do isn't it, especially at the moment, there seems to be an almost Christmas like rush to shop this Easter. The supermarkets have even launched the usual 'Christmas cheap priced vegetables' as an Easter time offer again. Anything to get us in to spend more money.

      Isn't it just the way, forgetting one of the main things you went in for, I hope you went back to get it ... with blinkers on. ;-)

      Delete
  11. Happiness is priceless. That's what I think!
    And tomato plants - wowee, wonderful. I always do plants now, having been very unsuccessful with growing from seeds. However, I wait until the end of may - because of late frosts and no greenhouse. Perhaps, when I have my garden room, I can grow some early plants to move out at the end of May - that would be nice. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love a nice healthy tomato plant or two and although I usually grow just from seed, these will give me a bit of a head start. Yes, we've been warned that there could be late frosts this year, so the plants will live inside with me until all danger has passed and then the little 'greenhouse' can go out side with them cocooned inside.

      Your garden room is going to be so good for early sowing and growing, I'm jealous. :-)

      Delete
  12. I always say the best birthday presents are the ones we buy ourselves! Enjoy your book.

    Well done with getting some young tomato plants too - my eye fell on the packet of seeds I bought much earlier in the year but since the kittens love sitting on the south-facing windowsill I normally start my seeds off on, that idea didn't come to pass!

    Jan, being an Aries I have that imp too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, any trays of compost or seedlings wouldn't stand a chance in your house at the moment would they, what a shame.

      Delete
  13. Sounds so familiar....

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All too familiar, and all too regular. :-)

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.