Tuesday 28 May 2019

Ditching the Plastic


I sorted all these out of the awkward corner cupboard at home this week, and managed to sell every single one at the car boot sale on Saturday.  I will use the money I made to buy a couple more of the glass bottomed silicon or plastic lidded ones instead.


I kept for re-use all the plastic tubs that were either Chinese takeaway tubs, large yoghurt pots or simply to old to warrant selling.  These will be used and re-used for as long as possible before going into the plastic recycling box.  I have two glass bottomed boxes already in here and I found two that I thought were missing in the tall larder unit, so I will put them in here in a few minutes ... before I lose them again  😉


In my bid to ditch as much plastic from our lives as possible we are phasing out buying large bottles of sparkling water and once our current 'stash' of four bottles is gone that will be it.  

I have been getting used to using a fridge jug for tap water ... it's so much better when it's nice and cold ... and I have two glass bottles that I keep topped up with diluted cordial, as Alan likes his water to have some flavour.  I have also invested in a thermos style water bottle for when I'm out and about and this one actually fits in the bottle holder in my car ... something my last one didn't do.

It's a shame that most of the reasonably priced cordials come in plastic bottles, but at least our recycling here in North Wales is top notch and they can go in there once they are empty. 

It feels like we're turning over a new leaf, and moving more into our smaller and simpler life one baby step at a time.


Sue xx



18 comments:

  1. I too am trying to reduce my plastic use. I bought a honey shampoo bar from Lush... it's gorgeous and there is no plastic bottle to dispose of when it is finished. I am planning on buying proper soap rather than shower gel from now on too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should mention that, we were only talking last night about how long our shower gels in the bathroom both here and at the Van were lasting and it turns out we've both been using soap instead. So I'm going to use the shower gels we have left in place of bubble bath,which ran out yesterday, until they run out too and then it will just be soap from then on in.

      Delete
  2. It's a good feeling to get rid of some plastic, isn't it. I still use some plastic containers, but no longer have cupboards full. I'm generally making less waste these days, but it it a gradual thing. Luckily Exeter has a few zero waste shops. It's nice to fill your own containers with as much (or little) that you need :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to find a zero waste shop, but I doubt there's any in our neck of the woods :-(

      Delete
  3. And I expect it is giving you a very good feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting a doubly good feeling from this, less plastic AND more space in the cupboards :-)

      Delete
  4. I am trying to learn from your good habits of reducing clutter. I actually sent two boxes of items out today to be donated! It is a start. ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done you, that's brilliant :-)

      Delete
  5. I used the last of the cling film yesterday and am determined to not buy any more, I was given some wax wraps at Christmas that I shall start using and will cover things with a plate or cloth in the fridge. We have been using bar soap and shampoo for a while and have bamboo toothbrushes, it's a shame that some of these things are quite costly but we are learning to make things last and waste less to compensate for the extra cost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll be moving over to things as and when our plastic items wear out. There's no sense in throwing things away until they have served their purpose. So perhaps bamboo toothbrushes by next year ... I have a few of the usual type in stock that I picked up from the Poundshop, once they're gone I will replace them with bamboo ones and give them a go.

      Delete
  6. It is so very hard to rid ourselves of plastic, isn't it? I have started using some freezer safe plastic containers over and over. Once they are too old into the recycling bin they go.

    God bless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is for sure, I'm doing the same ... use and re-use until they are no longer fit for purpose, then recycle.

      Delete
  7. There's so much plastic everywhere, it's really hard to avoid it. Good for you!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should maybe try a plastic free week as a Challenge!!

      Delete
  8. Bottle green cordials are sold in glass bottles, the flavours are brilliant, a good way to keep flavours and ditch the plastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are, I think next time we need some cordials I will have a good look at the shelves and see what I can get in glass bottles instead.

      Delete
  9. When I was young, many of my mother's dishes were the containers in which she bought cottage cheese or honey. Having 10 kids, she found the metal tumblers that the cottage cheese came in very useful .. the cottage cheese also came in insulated mugs. A couple of her best pots were bought from coupons that came with her Nabob coffee and Red Rose Tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mum and dad used to use and reuse their plastic butter tubs. When you went into their fridge looking to find butter for your toast you would be faced with stacks of tubs all identical. It could take half a dozen goes to find the one that actually still contained butter 😆

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.