Monday 19 October 2020

An Unfurnished Guided Tour

 

I picked up the keys on Friday, well the single front door key and a key that I cannot find any use for whatsoever.  

I had to check the inventory sent to us by the letting agents so Friday was all about familiarising myself with the flat with Alan's help, and then phoning around to have the services, gas, electricity and water put into my name with payment methods arranged.

I had been told by the letting agent that the person who had been in to do the inventory could not find the electric meter ... anywhere!  They had phoned the owner of the flat who seemingly has only owned it for two months and is not familiar with it at all and she didn't know where it was ... what!!

The owner then got in touch with the person that she had bought it off who explained it was in the front door next to the flat's door, which it turns out leads to the two upstairs flats and is a little communal hallway with the electricity meter cupboard.  She found what she thought was the key to it and dropped it off at the agents.  It was not the key to the communal door it was another front door key to my flat, so we still had no access to the meter.  I took a deep breath and buzzed one of the upstairs flats and a lovely chap called Brian came down and let us in.  We managed to read the meter after a lot of faff, we had never seen one like it and it was different from the other two in the cupboard.  Seemingly it's one of the earlier Smart Meters.  Brian then kindly lent me his hallway key to go and get a new one cut for myself.

Now this should have been a two minute job as the little Timpson's franchise is just across the road from the flat, so off I trotted leaving Alan pottering in the flat, only to see a note on the shop door ... 'Closed Until Thursday Due to Illness'.  Gosh this was turning into a farce and a half.

I popped in the discount shop near the flat and asked a lady stacking shelves there if there was anywhere else in town that could cut keys and she directed me to the Car Care shop right at the opposite end of the High Street.  So off I trot ... only to be stopped in my tracks at the Hospice Shop window.  There in prominent position was an almost new two seater sofa for £95. 

Temporarily forgetting all about keys and the cutting of, I went in asked if I could sit on it, yep, lovely and comfy and promptly paid for and arranged delivery of the sofa for the next day.  Back to business and I went up the road got a key cut and got back to Alan at the flat half an hour later.

Fate works in mysterious ways ... I wouldn't have passed the Hospice shop if it hadn't been for not having the right key and if the Timpson's shop had been open.

Now before I set off for the flat to take delivery of my fridge and washing machine and to hang my curtains, how about a little guided tour of the flat, all photos taken from the letting agents advert.


The living room, the biggest room in the flat.


The kitchen which is not as big as it looks here.  I would love a camera lens like the estate agents use, everything in my life would be so much bigger


The larger of the two bedrooms.

And the smaller one, which I think will be the one that I will use as I quite like the idea of having just a bed and two bedside tables in the room that I sleep in.


The whiter than white bathroom.

And a reminder of the overall floor plan.

I will take my camera and take some more photos for posterity.  I do like a good before and after and  I need to get a few shots to send to the letting agent and owner as previous occupants have left a large burn mark on the worktop cleverly hidden by what appeared to be a stuck down marble board and the oven is an absolute disgrace.


Sue xx


48 comments:

  1. I'm so pleased the move went ahead without too much hassle. It's great that Alan has been around to help too. I'm a believer in fate, that sofa was a sign of good things to come. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all going smoothly now that little farce is out of the way, but as the farce led to a sofa it is forgiven :-)

      Delete
  2. Well you are now on a new journey to pull together a cosy home. Such fun. Bargain sofa. Lucky you. Take care during these awful times x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's about to be the nicer part of the moving in, there's just the bathroom to give a thorough clean to and then I will be on to the positioning of things etc. Twiddling about with stuff ... as I tend to call it. Garstang is a safe little town to life in, even on the High Street most people wear their masks.

      Delete
  3. Looks promising. Interesting to see what you will make of it but you do need sunglasses in that bathroom :-)
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's whiter than white isn't it, and yet still somehow grubby. I'll be deep cleaning it on Wednesday, then it might be even whiter!!

      Delete
  4. So it all came right in the end, Sue - that sofa was a lucky find! I hope you'll be happy there, it'll be fun making it into your perfect little home. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sue. I think with the Corona restrictions I'll have lots of time to twiddle with arranging and re-arranging things until I get them right.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. It really is, and even though it's my ninth move in the last sixteen years it's still exciting.

      Delete
  6. Very exciting but a bit naughty hiding a burn. What a faff with the meter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They had purposely stuck the marble chopping board to the worktop with that 'snotty' glue that sticks things in magazines. That and the weight of the marble made it seem to be a permanent fixture until I levered it up to have a look.

      Delete
  7. Looks lovely Sue - sensible to take photographs though. I would not have thought of that. And providence definitely played into your hands with that sofa. As to the oven Lakeland sell a fantastic oven cleaner that does all the work for you. I can't remember what it is called but I am sure you could find it on their site of you are interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The beauty of modern phones is that you always have a camera handy for things like this. Great minds think alike ... I've got an oven cleaner that seems similar to the Lakeland one, it's worth giving it a go before I call in the professionals.

      Delete
  8. Thank you for sharing. Good idea to take lots of before photos. In case of problems later.
    Almost sounds like an episode of a Hyacinth skit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The inventory had photos of everything except the inside of the oven ... now I know why ... and I guess the person doing it thought that the marble board was a permanent feature, like I did at first. Definintely worthy of a comedy show ;-)

      Delete
  9. All the very best for the future (I hope that your little dogs are allowed?) We are a few years further on from you in that we downshifted and decluttered to live a simple life. What a relief it has been. I just wish there was more housing suitable for us. We are looking as the home we are in is too small and we want a little more space but not too much outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes dogs are allowed, I wouldn't have taken the flat otherwise. Suky and me are inseparable :-)

      Delete
  10. Even the toilet looks VERY wide - how do they do it?

    Hope you get your furnishings in and sorted so you can get settled and comfy very soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I hadn't noticed that, it looks like a huge toilet!! Alan is bringing my double bed from Wales on Friday, the last time he will be able to come out of Wales for a couple of weeks and even then only because we combine trips here with business meetings.

      Delete
  11. What a faff with the meter but such a lucky find with the sofa. It was meant to be yours! The flat looks lovely but it was naughty to leave the oven in a mess wasn't it, that's NOT a favourite job of mine but to leave someone else with the mess is not on. The bathroom looks lovely and clean, Sue, you can soon tone it down with colourful towels etc. Enjoy getting yourself cosy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I HATE cleaning ovens, hence me being an AGA lover :-)

      The problem I have at the moment is that there is nowhere to put colourful towels in the bathroom, no storage whatsoever. I am going to try and work out how to solve that problem today.

      Delete
  12. Thanks for showing us around Sue, it looks perfect for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not bad, plenty of space and the river just a few steps away. It will be a happy stop-gap until I can buy somewhere in the future.

      Delete
  13. That looks so good and look forward to seeing the "after" photos.How exciting.Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll snap the changes as they happen ... if nothing else it will keep me working at it.

      Delete
  14. Perfect karma about the sofa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I realised after I had sat down and thought about it. Weird, things do happen in mysterious ways :-)

      Delete
  15. How fortunate to find the sofa! It was meant to be! Your new home looks like a good size for you. I look forward to following your progress in getting it set up the way you will be happy. I know it will be a wonderful and cozy home for you this winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definintely meant to be, it had only come into the shop the night before as well and by the next day everything that had been in the window with it had been sold and replaced. Now I just need them to get in a nice old chunky chest of drawers :-)

      Delete
  16. What luck with the sofa!
    Your new home looks lovely and with a charity shop within easy distance, I imagine you're going to be very happy living there. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I intend to do, get as much as I can from the charity shops on the High Street. I feel you may have inspired me to try a bit of patchwork in the future too.

      Delete
  17. Being curious as I am, can I ask what would go beneath the kitchen counter to the right of the sink?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To the right of the sink will be my washing machine and on the left-hand side the fridge-freezer :-)

      Delete
  18. What a lucky circumstance. I love the way things sort of slot into each other.
    It's a very attractive home.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once I sat and thought about it, it really all did slot into place very nicely, at the time it seemed a bit stressful. I always seem to meet new neighbours with a crisis. When I got my last shop I accidently triggered the burglar alarm and no one knew the code for it, so I met a street full of neighbours and lots of potential customers in the space of the hour of ear-piercing noise.

      Delete
  19. Very exciting! I can’t wait to see how you furnish and decorate everything. I had to laugh at your comment that you would love a camera lens like the estate agent as everything in your life would be so much bigger. Let’s not photograph our butts!!! 😂😂😂😉😉😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha ... trust you to think of that!! ;-)

      Delete
  20. Ever notice that, just like those rooms, photos make us look larger than real life? No? Just wishful thinking, eh?

    Lucky sofa find. I'm sure that besides some of the initial annoyances (burn mark, dirty stove), you must really be looking forward to decorating the place to your tastes. How different it will be to be in town after being in the country for some time. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, photos make us look fatter and older ... I hate them ;-)

      It will look a lot more cosy once I have curtains up and my things around me for sure.

      Delete
  21. Lovely to see, a blank canvas, very exciting:) Brian sounds like a lovely neighbour:) Have fun organising your new pad Sue♥ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He seemed a bit of a loner, but in a nice way. And I'm guessing he's an avid walker looking at the line up of walking boots outside his front door when I went upstairs to return his key.

      Delete
  22. My cleaning lady (in Oz) does regular "End Cleans" for a letting agency. This is done as a matter of course when tenants leave a property. If this service took place in your flat, then someone got paid for a substandard job. Worth looking in to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sending the photos to the agent that let the property to me and to the owner. The letting agents are not managing the property at all they were only charged with finding a tenant for it, so from now on things will be between me and the owner. I don't think it's been cleaned since it was tarted up a bit for the sale. It was purchased two months ago by the owner.

      Delete
  23. Also, if the clean is not good enough, then the previous tenant should not have got their bond back. An inspection by the letting agent should uncover such things before the new tenant moves in. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would in normal circumstances, but see my reply above. The previous tenants were letting the flat off the previous owner, so something has slipped through the net somewhere.

      Delete
  24. Despite the ‘faffing’, sounds like you got a good result at the end of the day.

    The flat owner & letting agent seem helpful, and that is a big thing. Good luck with the deep clean and moving your things in. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything worked out okay in the end which is the main thing. Oh how I HATE cleaning, but once this is over with I can relax :-)

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.