Tuesday 13 October 2020

Keeping it Simple

  

  It's getting closer to the day when I pick up my keys and begin a whole new life in my favourite little town ... this Friday in fact.  So since the end of last week I've been sorting through things both in the house and in my mind.  Choosing what to take with me and what to leave behind for now.  

I've been mostly sorting through books and selling them on Ziffit, a second box full has just been picked up, with another almost £60 worth gone for good and enough raised now to buy myself a little fridge-freezer for the flat.

I debated long and hard about whether to buy a second-hand one, and indeed I eventually found one for just £30 on Facebook Marketplace that had been used in someone's shed for a few years, although it didn't have a freezer section. So I looked online at the prices of new undercounter fridges I found the perfect sized one for the tiny kitchen and it was just under £120 and it's got a freezer.


When you factor in a years guarantee and realise that if I bought the old one and it broke I would need it to be replaced and removed ... and removal costs £20.  The new one started to look much more preferable.  So this is my final choice.


Not the huge fridge freezer space that I'm used to, but being within walking distance of all the shops I need I have decided I will let them pay to keep food chilled or frozen and I'll be happy to go back to basics for now and have just what I need close at hand.  

And it's cost is completely covered by the money I have made on Ziffit.  😃

My only new and major purchases are this little fridge-freezer and a washing machine that is also on order, everything else I am taking either from the Van or home, or buying second-hand.  I see no need to splash the cash or acquire too many things.

I'm just keeping it simple.



Sue xx




29 comments:

  1. Oooh it's getting exciting, Sue! And you'll be getting the keys on our 49th wedding anniversary too. I'm really glad it's not the 50th (Golden Wedding) because it would be a non-starter regarding any sort of celebration this year, wouldn't it. Well done on the book sales, the fridge/freezer looks brilliant.
    Just wondering....how is your lovely mum?
    Stay safe x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, fingers crossed that things improve enough for you to be able to have a really good celebration next year. Fifty years is worth celebrating.

      I've just been speaking to Mum, she's doing really well and is managing to look after herself. My brother has been great going round at least every other day and making sure she has everything that she needs, shopping etc and he even hoovered for her today. Thanks for asking :-)

      Delete
    2. What a lovely brother you have, Sue, I'm so glad that she's ok :)

      Delete
  2. Hello Sue, sorry I haven't commented for a while; been really busy, but pop in to catch up on your news most days. I love your new home, it looks just perfect for you. All the very best and wishing you lots of happiness in your new home xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It all sounds like everything is coming together just at the right time, Sue...must be fate! I'm glad to hear your mum's doing ok, with the help of your brother. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a very sensible approach to the fridge/freezer thing.

    Is the flat semi-furnished or are you taking a bed & sofa from Wales (all the van stuff is built in, isn’t it?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not, it's not furnished at all. I will be taking the double bed from Wales in a couple of weeks, and I'm hoping to get a secondhand sofa from a charity shop on the high street near the flat. I want to support local businesses from now on, unfortunately there wasn't an electrical shop for the white goods I've just ordered.

      Delete
  5. I think you are very wise to buy new on electrical appliances like the fridge freezer and washing machine. Its getting close now, are you excited? Its good that you have lots of odds and sods at the Van. Will you give up the van completely now? My friend has just let out a flat she owns and needs to remove loads of her personal items, I'm having a lot of it rather than it go to the dump or charity shop because she just wants it gone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the Van will be out up for sale just as soon as I have emptied and cleaned it. I need the money back in the bank 🙂

      Delete
  6. I agree about the freezer Sue. I have a Tesco order and I am also near the shops so when my freezer needed replacing I bought a small one - large enough for a drawer of frozen veg, a spare loaf, a shelf of ready meals from our local deli and things like sea bass, salmon and the odd treat. It has worked out well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more I can keep my bills down the better, so I thought a small fridge freezer and an an energy efficient washing machine would be a good starting point.

      I'm thinking a spare small loaf, frozen peas, mixed veg and maybe ice-cream should cover most eventualities. Maybe a bit of room for leftovers.

      Delete
  7. Smart move on the fridge. When it comes to appliances I believe in getting something you can trust. Your move is close now. I'm excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just knowing that they are guaranteed for at least the first year is good 😃

      Delete
  8. Smart and steady your move forward is on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Exciting times Sue! Good luck for your move to your cosy flat x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very exciting Sue:) Decluttering for a while has certainly helped to make your move smooth and easy:) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh yes, letting go of all the excess has made things so much easier to pack up.

      Delete
  11. I really think you made a wise decision on buying a new one. It can be used as extra storage in another home later on, or sold to make some of your money back.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, if it works out it can even be the main fridge for my next home. I would maybe just invest in a separate upright freezer as well.

      Delete
  12. It's all happening so quickly and it's very exciting too - sending positive vibes that everything goes really well, smooth and trouble free. The new appliance looks great but I think I would miss freezer space.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy, yes I am going to miss the space for sure. No more lobbing all sorts in for a rainy day. Christmas will be a big test of how I'm going to manage with such diddy storage 🤣😄

      Delete
  13. Not long to wait now. Keeping things simple is very wise. X

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.