Monday 1 June 2020

A Wander Round the Net Tunnel


I'm too hot to even think straight after a morning sowing seeds and transplanting things in the net tunnel, all followed with an hour long watering session.

Then I moved onto the polytunnel and spent half an hour covering the centre beds, with the sliced open compost bags that we had used yesterday to fill up the final bed in the net tunnel.  There's no point in letting weeds grow in the soil there if I won't be planting for Winter, hopefully we will be gone by then but I do still want to leave things neat, so covering the beds up seems like the best option.  I couldn't stand more than half an hour in there as it was literally like stepping into an oven, hence me putting a couple of the tomato seedlings into the net tunnel.

While I was working in the tunnels the window cleaner was up on the roof of the garage/workshop cleaning the solar panels.  Alan used to do them but he has been too busy recently and they do need cleaning a couple of times over the Summer and usually once during the Winter to keep them gathering all those wonderful rays and keep us earning money.  So now the window cleaner has started doing them for us, it's nice to support a good small local business with a little bit more work during these strange times. 

I guess I should have started earlier in the tunnels but I had another bad night of the weirdest of bitty, bitty dreams ... like finding a spare arm (human) down the side of the armchair ... weirdly ironic and I do hope not symbolic 🤣

Note to self ... STOP watching Luther!!

Anyway when I wanted to go back to the house the window cleaner had just started on the house windows so I had a drink from the hosepipe ... yuk ... but needed, so we were very well social distanced.  If you don't hear from me in a few days you know I have died of dysentery or some such thing  😜

Anyway I do hope you enjoy the little YouTube clip of me rambling and getting sowing and planting wrong time after time ... I was so tired.


Sue xx



18 comments:

  1. Weird dreams do seem to be one of the side effects of the pandemic lockdown - our brain working on things even when we think we aren't worried I guess.
    All looking good in your tunnel - just had one of my big cucumber plants keel over - annoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, my dreams have definitely been even weirder than usual, and that's saying something 🤣🤣

      My pathetic little cucumber plants are still too small to keel over yet ... haha

      Delete
  2. There's some really scary bits in Luther. When the guy comes out from under the bed, I was totally gone! Thanks for the tour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh yes ... we watched that one the other night. I knew I was being sensible keeping my feet well in the bed when I was little 😃🤣

      Delete
  3. Well I don't watch Luther- don't even know what it is - and I get scary dreams too. I put it down to cheese late at night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a British detective series with Idris Elba, he's lovely ... but he solves some horrific crimes 😲😬

      Delete
  4. You have a very pleasant voice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I've never been told that before 😁

      Delete
  5. It was nice to hear your voice! I hope everything grows well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I, it's been a bad year up to now ☹️

      Delete
  6. Really enjoyed the trip around your net tunnel. Looking very good and I am sure the next/new owners of your cottage will appreciate and love what you have planted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope so, in the meantime us and the chickens will be well fed ... if anything actually comes up properly that is. But I do like to think I'm also giving someone a head start, and also a heads up on what has been grown on the land up to now.

      Delete
  7. Looking like you've been busy. Thanks for the comprehensive description of what is growing. I sometimes struggle for words when making a video, long silences while my brain catches up, ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I just ramble, and this time I was desperate for a coffee after a couple of hours of seed sowing and weeding, if I was sensible I would have had the coffee and THEN done the running commentary. It seemed weird giving a description of what is in there when all that is visible in the beds at the moment is just soil ... haha!

      Delete
  8. Looks like you have a fantastic harvest to look forward to. We used to grow a lot but now just salad crops and beans of course and this year I've sown all our seeds on window sills as we don't have a green house here and as the garden centres were closed. So I'm pleased we have so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to grow a lot more, but then the penny dropped, it's better to grow a lot of what we eat and none of what 'gardeners grow' ... just because I should. It's an easy trap to fall into.

      So as I don't eat many beans and actually prefer frozen peas to homegrown peas I just don't grow them any more. Also onions are cheap in the shops, and can be frozen chopped, so why put all that work into planting, weeding and watering onions just to see your onion sets come out of the ground a couple of centimetres bigger than when you put them in.

      Once I wised up I saved myself a shed load of work :-)

      Delete
  9. I've said it before but I always learn loads from reading your blog posts. Today is the cleaning of solar panels. We inherited some when we purchased our house 3 years ago and it honestly hadn't occured to us to have them cleaned, so many thanks Sue for a great tip. Oh and happy growing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not quite as important to clean them when they are on the roof of a house as they are quite slanted and the rain (when we get any) washes them. On our garage/workshop roof there isn't much of an incline so the rain tends to sit and then evaporate, leaving dusty marks and streaks

      It's amazing the amount of extra revenue we generate when they have just been cleaned, so it's worth doing.

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.