Wednesday 5 January 2022

Some Inspiration for My Challenge



So I had a bit of a sort out yesterday of some of my books, perusing the shelves for any that might prove of inspiration or of use to me during this Challenge.  I carefully managed to get down some of the more frugal type cook books from my top shelf in the kitchen ... the one I can barely reach now ... and replaced them with the red flour bin, into which I put some of the chocolate bars with the longest date on them.


I moved them to where the red bin had previously been sitting on top of my little drawer unit.  Much more safely accessible for me and handy for a quick browse through when I finally get around to menu planning.

On the living room bookcase I moved a few of the more inspirational books together, tidying as I went along ... no doubt I'll forget where I've put other books now!!


On the bedroom bookcase my wartime rationing books were pretty much together anyway, but I rounded up a few strays.


And repositioned a few of the books I discovered still packed in boxes in Alan's spare room, there is still one more box of books there so I will have to go and have a look at what's in it.

This photo reminded me ...

... I promised Sue in Suffolk a peek at what the spotty books in the Christmas pile on the sideboard were.  😃


A few more of the wartime books unpacked last month.  These are all bound to be inspirational over the next year as I resort to more vegetables and less of the expensive things like vegan cheese.  A wartime ration of 4oz of cheese a week may come back into force!! 

(That was amount on average that a vegetarian got in exchange for their meat ration.)


And finally, here is the book that inspired my No Spend Challenge ... and I haven't even read it yet!!  I read  about it and it really piqued my interest, well that and getting sick of being constantly bombarded with adverts and emails from various companies trying to sell me stuff.  I am just fed up with stuff and shopping in general.

After the last couple of years I want even more for this to be a year of simplicity and taking a step back from consumerism and acquiring things.  Moving home and having to have so much work done and buy new things ... although it was very necessary ... simply drove me over the edge.

Here's to a year of no spending, no shopping and simplicity.


Sue xx



24 comments:

  1. What a great collection - I spotted some I own, and love, others I've read and enjoyed, and others I've not seen before but look fascinating. Looking forward to you sharing recipes with us in the months ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of us share the same interests and reading habits.

      Delete
  2. You have some good inspiration there. You can't go wrong with Elizabeth West for frugality - she could conjure a "meal" from nothing! The wartime books should be as good at coping with very little too.

    I have had both those "spotty" books for many many years. Cider With Rosie was a set book to read at school and I adored it. Flora Thompson I discovered when I left school, and I know the area she lived in as I used to live not so far away when I was doing my BHSAI training.

    Good luck with the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really can't, Elizabeth Wests books have been some of my favourites for years. I was amazed and delighted when we moved to Wales and I found we were living on the opposite side of the valley to where her original 'hovel' was.

      Thank you. xx

      Delete
  3. Thank you for the closer look at your bookshelves. Your wartime shelves are my favourites. I've got several and have seen most via the library.
    I'm determined to stop being tempted by books that look interesting, because by now I really should know that I've been doing frugal living, less consumerism etc etc for long enough that I really don't need more books on the subject!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's so many more books, but it's hard to photograph the full bookcase in the bedroom as there isn't enough room to get far enough back with the camera ... I need an estate agent to come and show me how they get some of their photographs. Hopefully I can cure my book buying obsession this year.

      Someone else has just sent an email asking for a photo of the full bookcase in the living room, I can manage that. :-)

      Delete
  4. Fantastically helpful books - you will have a lot of fun with them.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be nice to have a re-read of some of them, and hopefully they will keep me in the right frame of mind to continue the Challenge.

      Delete
  5. This is such an interesting challenge - I think I'll join you (I might not have the discipline to do all of it) but I'll read along with your posts and follow as much as possible. I want to live a more sustainable life - in view of the climate crisis - and free up funds to donate to activism/climate charities etc. and living more frugally myself will enable me to do so. Thanks for the great inspiration and posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh yes, go for it. It's the most sustainable thing we can possibly do to cut down on our spending and our consumerism and make full use of everything that we already own.

      Delete
  6. I have read the day the world stops shopping and quite a few others on you shelves. I have a similar taste in books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to sit down and read it, I'm halfway through another book at the moment but that is next on my mental list of what I should read.

      Delete
  7. Loads of inspiration there for you Sue - and us! Love Lark Rise to Candleford.....the estate where we lived in the Midlands years ago had roads named after those places - we lived in Lark Rise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the box set on DVD, I should give it a watch again it's a lovely series. What a lovely name for a road. Alan used to pick up trailerfuls of manure from the village of Lark Rise in Oxfordshire, it's beautiful ... the loads weren't though ;-)

      Delete
  8. I share your desire to consume less stuff and eat more healthy foods, more veg is my priority. With that in mind the new Bosh book was on my Christmas list, Bosh On A Budget. I must make some time to plan at least two meals a week from the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bosh books tend to be a bit hit and miss as they occasionally over-complicate some recipes, but this new one seems really good. 😀

      Delete
  9. Loads of inspiration for you Sue. I am going to try to spend less this year. Can I ask where you bought the small white chest of drawers with the baskets? This would be ideal for my craft work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was from Culture Vulture - https://www.culturevulturedirect.co.uk/chests-and-tables/holden-storage-unit/

      Delete
  10. That is a great collection and I just put The day the world stops shopping on hold at my library. Apparently the librarians here have not heard of Elizabeth West...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. Can I have your books? Very nice collection.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I share your frustration with not being able to reach the top shelf any more. When we redid our kitchen 15 years ago I was 5 foot 6 and my husband positioned the cupboards so that we had space underneath for appliances but I could still reach the top shelf. I've only lost 2cm in height but it's enough to mean I have to get a stepstool for everything

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nicely tidied and organized. Quite a collection. I lost some really good cookbooks to an overflowing coffee pot a few years ago. Pot wasn't set in the brew position properly--so 12 cups dripped through the rack shelving onto cookbooks below. And I don't even drink coffee. Twas DH. Lost a couple of Moosewood Restaurant ones. Managed to salvage a very large hardback one by Deborah Madison...edges are just a tad coffee aged. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like your white unit too but dare not spend any money yet. You're not alone in finding shelves too high to reach, Sue, the top shelves in our kitchen are out of reach for me. I've put things up there which I have no need for in the foreseeable future, which begs the question why keep them then? I might have to have a selling spree 🤔 😉

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lot of books you have Sue! I'm a lover of tidy shelves and really appreciated looking at your photos. Wishing you the best with your challenge - what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.