Tuesday 15 August 2023

Bringing Home the Rhubarb, Snaffling the Blueberries and Old Photos

 


We only planted this rhubarb plant in Spring of this year.  You're not really supposed to harvest from a newly transplanted bush, instead you leave all the goodness to go back into the roots ready for a bumper harvest the following year.

Our rhubarb has had other ideas, it was this big a couple of months ago and I carefully pulled out the largest of the stems and made some rhubarb crumble mixes for mine and Alan's freezers.  Over the last few weeks the plant has gone rampant ... there is no other word for it. 

The chippings disappeared under a blanket of huge leaves and the plants behind were invisible unless you peeled back a leaf and had a look..


So today I bit the bullet before the garden totally disappeared under a swath of huge leaves.  The dogs will be pleased to see their chipping area back, I can finally see my Fern and Rosemary plants again ... and the compost bin is full right to the top with all the leaves.


Meanwhile in the kitchen, the rhubarb stalks are all trimmed, soaked and ready to be cut into chunks and frozen ... alongside a few apples that came easily off the tree.  There will be some lovely homegrown fruit to help out with my rations over the Winter.


I could have had some Blueberries as well if I hadn't been eating them all the minute they turn blue enough.  Not a single one has made it as far as the kitchen.  Well, all gardeners deserve a tasty little treat don't they.  😄


When we met up with my cousin at Mum's house a few weeks, ago she brought with her some old family photos to see if we wanted them.  I of course had to say yes to most of them and Mum had some too.  I love old photos, especially black and white ones.  I managed to find this old frame in an antique centre with a mount that I just knew would compliment it perfectly.

It's just Mum, Dad and me on the day of my christening.   I'd say happy memories .... but I don't remember it at all. 💖


Sue xx




21 comments:

  1. There is something special about home grown produce, we have slim pickings this year ,some dwarf beans, a few courgettes and lettuces and quite a few green tomatoes that refuse to go red and were starting to rot so we have many jars of green tomato chutney to last a good long time ,I too could not resist a blueberry straight from the bush .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a lot of green tomatoes too, I will give them a little bit longer to go red but if they don't I think they will be turned into some Green Tomato Chutney. Sun-warmed blueberries are just too delicious to ignore aren't they. :-)

      Delete
  2. Preserving all that lovely food deserves to be on your other blog as well :-) I have rhubarb envy, used to love it, but it's one of the foods I can no longer eat. 😢
    Should you just happen to have some nearly-out-of-date maple syrup which needs using up, I can recommend drizzling it over rhubarb which is cut into 3" or 4" chunks, and then roasting slowly . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think I will re-name the garden My Victory Garden. :-)

      Yes, I have some maple syrup, I will try and remember to do this when I start using it, it sounds delicious.

      Delete
  3. Our rhubarb patch has 'gone mad' too this year - I've made so many crumbles, a couple of rhubarb crumble cakes, given tons away and made some very tasty rhubarb, chilli and ginger jam which is delicious with savoury foods like cheese...... now I need to crack on and freeze some:-)
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While some vegetables have sulked I think rhubarb and figs have both loved this years strange weather, we have had our best ever harvests of them both. Oooh I think Alan would love some rhubarb, chilli and ginger jam with his posh cheeses.

      Delete
  4. That plant was huge! I've never tasted rhubarb :) Your garden area is really looking nice these days and wonderful to have some extra apples to add to your rations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should give it a go if you like nice tart, slightly sour tastes. I do have to add sugar or syrup to my rhubarb when I'm cooking it as it's a bit too tart for me.

      The garden is looking a bit more established this year, and I think bringing in the pots of colourful flowers has boosted it. And of course now I have some more large plant pots for next years seed sowing. :-)

      Delete
  5. Wow. Your rhubarb is unruly! That is amazing! That photograph is so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, too, have rhubarb envy! I love rhubarb and have tried to grow it, unsuccessfully. It is very expensive to buy here. How lovely to have apples, too, and yes, there's nothing as good as blueberries right off the bush! Very sweet photo of you and your parents; that was nice of your cousin to share old family photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you get it established it's great, we have been very lucky with rhubarb over the years.

      It was, her Mum died a few months ago and they were packing up the family home ready for sale and came across boxes of photos that none of the family had even seen. It's nice to bring them out into the light again.

      Delete
  7. Our rhubarb has gone mad this year too and I really ought to freeze some before it's too late. Yours looks lovely.
    Gorgeous photo of the three of you and the frame is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh yes, get some in the freezer, either just chopped and raw or cooked ready for quick pies and crumbles.

      Delete
  8. Old photos are wonderful. I have all of my parents as nobody else wanted them.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have quite a few old photos tucked away. I think I'll be getting some more of them out and finding more frames for them

      Delete
  9. Aw love the old photo of your Mum and Dad with baby Sue♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a real 1960's photo isn't it. :-)

      Delete
  10. What a priceless photo - such a nice gift! And I love the frame you found for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely of Ann to think of sharing out the family photos, I was really pleased to get this one.

      Delete
  11. What a lovely photo and perfect in that frame.
    Hasn't it been a tremendous year for rhubarb? One of the few perks of such a rubbish summer weather-wise. xxx

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.