Wednesday 9 August 2023

Oh WOW!! ... Thank You

 


Oh wow ... really wow!!

Thank you so much for the responses to yesterdays post, I did not expect to receive so many immediate answers to my questions or such detailed ones, but they REALLY helped me and I thank you for taking the time to join in with what turned out to be a bit of a survey.

This morning over the cup of coffee you see me making in the photo above, I sat and read all the responses that came after the first two that I had replied to last night.   The photo was taken for a completely different reason but boy has it come in handy to head up this post.  I am now sitting writing this over a bowl of Weetabix ... a proper multi-tasker. 😄


It seems that we are indeed a community of like-minded people that dip in and out of each others lives, sometimes regularly and sometimes more intermittently, but that's just like real life isn't it, we see some people regularly day-in day-out and there's always that friend that we don't see for months or even years, that once we do get together again it's as though no time has passed at all.


This meme sums it up really well, blogging gives me and fellow bloggers a way of entering into peoples lives all over the world and and we find that borders, languages and ways of life do nothing to stop true genuine friendships developing ... and I will always write about everything that is 'good and true and real'.

Don't worry if you can't get into the new blog that is linked on the sidebar, I am currently tinkering with it's layout and 'pages' and while it is flashing around and changing it will remain private.  Once I start my rationing journey it will ... I have decided after reading all the responses to my questions ... be public and available for all to see and comment on and Follow. 😄

Something that came up in a few comments was the inability to see the sidebar when reading on a phone.  What I do to visit people's sidebars when I'm on my phone is scroll to the bottom of their post or page and click on 'View Web Version'.  This will bring up the same page but as though you were on a computer, hence everything will then be visible.  Hope that helps.

And now it's only fair that I answer my own questions, just so that you can see how I view things in blogland.

So, the questions:

1.  What makes you want to read a post on a blog?

A good title can grab my attention and if you are on my sidebar I tend to read your posts most days.

2.  What makes you decide to click on the Follower button?

I always Follow a blog that I read more than a couple of times if I like the content and want to visit regularly.  I see it as being like the Subscribe button on YouTube, it lets the person creating the content know that you are there and appreciating their efforts.

3.  What stops you from leaving a comment?

If the same answer I would have left has been said over and over, or if I have nothing nice to say.  I hope I would never say something that would upset someone.

4.  Do you prefer a blog that you can't comment on?

I don't 'prefer' it, I don't mind it, but it does surprise me sometimes if people don't want to engage with their readers.

5.  Do you like getting a response to your comment when you leave one?

I always check back to see if there's a reply and sometimes to see if my comment is still actually there.  Blogger is being strange these days, sometimes I have left comments on other peoples posts and they just vanish.  I always check my SPAM folder as comments on my blog that have previously published suddenly revert to there, even my replies to other peoples comments.  It's bloody annoying!!

6.  Does being a Follower and a Commenter on a blog help you to feel part of it's community?

Yes.  It shows me that I have found a blog or blogger that I can relate to.

7.  If you are a fellow blogger how do you see your Follower numbers, Comments and interaction with your readers?

Yes Joy I know HOW to check, but thank you!!  😉

I don't check my Stats very often, just occasionally out of interest and they are always surprising.  The statistics on my old blog Our New Life in the Country for example are amazing, it is still drawing visitors from all over the world and each post has now had millions of unique visits ... I had no idea.

It's nice to see Follower numbers rise as it means I must be doing something right to engage with more people, THANK YOU to everyone that joined our little community yesterday.

It's nice to see Comments under a post as it means people want to have a voice on something I have written, give an opinion, offer advice or something similar.  I think we all want to be heard and it's nice to hear other people too. I know I sometimes get stroppy with an reply to a comment, I try my best to be 'nice Sue' most of the time but occasionally 'what the heck Sue' bursts forth.  Those of you who have read way back (like Linda from 2008 and Lavender's Blue ... ) just get used to my at times unique ways and take no offence, others run for the hills and are never seen again.  And Karen ... hold your head up high and comment whenever you want to.

Interaction with readers is part and parcel of blogging and in my opinion is what keeps me and many other bloggers going, gives us inspiration and at times can even be vital for our well being.  It's a shame I have no click here if you've visited  button.  (I will check to see if there is something similar available.)  I remember the post I did when we lost our little dog Charley and I couldn't bear to hear of other losses or even read comments for a few days and I asked people to leave 'two kisses for Charley', that post had 307 comments and meant so much to me then and now.

So to round all this up before I set off to Mum's for the day, I just want to say once again a massive THANK YOU to each and everyone of you who took the time and answered my questions yesterday, it was a really useful exercise and I'm sure lots of other Bloggers will have read your answers and found them useful too.  I didn't realise how long it would take you all, sorry!  The post is still there if you didn't see it yesterday and would like to take part.

It's brilliant that we have such a wonderful community of like-minded souls to bolster each other up, laugh with and at each other on a regular basis and well, to just be friends.

Thank you. 🎕


Sue xx




56 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear your rationing blog will be public - thank you for doing that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a problem, I just had a blip of ' is it worth going to the effort of writing posts, or should I keep it very simple as my own record'. With the level of interest shown I really do have to do it justice don't I. It's only fair after mentioning it so many times. :-)

      Delete
  2. I look forward to following your new blog, thank you for deciding to make it public.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully I'll have it up and running soon. I just had a bit of a dither!

      Delete
  3. So glad you’ve decided to make your new blog public. Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So am I now, there's a lot of interest ... gosh I hope you don't all find it deathly boring. ;-)

      Delete
  4. < lots of laughs > I thought you did but, you know me, hedging my bets!
    Have a lovely day and I will look out for the new blog. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good day. You're a teacher through and through and you need to know that people know ... it's a good thing. :-)

      Delete
  5. I am looking forward to the new blog. I love this blog. You sound so wonderfully down to earth. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very down to earth ... sometimes to my own detriment. You have to learn to take me as you find me whether you like it or not. But I'm nice ... honest, and a complete empath. :-)

      Delete
  6. What a great response! As always, looking forward to reading all about it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it. It seemed only fair to answer my own questions after setting you all such a lot of homework. I didn't realise how much scrolling up and down it was going to take, especially for those reading on phones ... oops!!

      Delete
  7. I am so glad to read that replies to yesterday's post have helped you, they have all been so interesting.

    And it is good to see I am not the only lost soul for whom the community we have created is so important. In that dreadful week when what should have been a regular vet checkup became a death sentence the interaction from blog friends made a vital difference to me and I am still not sure if I could have coped without you all. I wish you did not know for yourself how important this can be, but your reference to "two kisses for Charley" made be think of my own experience.

    Hpoe your visit to Mum has been a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of the best things about blogging isn't it, that we are all here for each other, from all over the world. People that have been through what we have, can show us how to do things differently and can just offer morale support. I value your friendship and I really do have to apologise to Blue Bus for changing her sex. ;-)

      It was a good day at Mum's, lots to do for her but successful overall.

      Delete
  8. I look forward to your new blog as I know it’s going to be a wealth of information and a lovely read, like your other blogs are and have been. I have gone back to read your blogs from the beginning and boy such fun to see what you have accomplished. I give you and Alan so much credit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely comment, thank you. xx

      There have been a few of you reading back from the beginning on a couple of my old blogs. I hope it still all makes sense ... there are years and years of waffle. I need to read the Modern Rationing one for myself again, and refresh my mind of the recipes that turned out well and perhaps more importantly those that didn't.

      Delete
  9. I am sorry but I missed reading yesterdays blog so didn't comment so my thoughts are if I may add them now are that my life is often very stressful and emotionally draining ,I don't go anywhere or do anything other than shopping and caring for my adult sons ( one epileptic and problems following brain damage and the other has aspergers ) , I am still generally a happy bunny and have a lot to be grateful for ,your blog is like having a virtual coffee with a friend , I really like your content and have so much in common with your lifestyle and ideas , I love to read comments but I must admit I don't always comment often because I can't think what to say that would be interesting enough but still enjoy reading and because I can't have holidays or days out I jog along behind you on yours . Thank you to you , Alan and the four legged members of your family xxx
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a very special lady and I realise that you are so busy, you have followed along on all my wacky ramblings and joined in with sponsorship many, many times and I love you for that. One day I will try to book a holiday in your neck of the woods and we will have an actual coffee together.

      Never feel you have to comment in essay form, even just a 'Hi, I'm here' or Sue you really are a silly sod' would make me smile as I know the effort and time it takes out of your day. You can join in 'virtually' on any of our days out and holidays, and I will try and share more photos of what we get up to from now on.

      Delete
    2. What a kind reply and a real coffee would be lovely one day even if it it's a few years away when I meet you with a walker ( you can jump on the front ) and sparkly new false teeth ,thankfully nowhere near that yet :) x

      Delete
  10. Looking forward to the new blog. Fully intended to write a comment yesterday but life got in the way. Many good blog friends have said all that I would have done . The interaction between us all is very special I think ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a problem that you didn't join in, hopefully it made good reading for all fellow bloggers, I didn't realise the questions would take so much answering. Yes, the interaction between us all is very special. xx

      Delete
  11. Another one saying good news and thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My absolute pleasure, thank you for reading along. xx

      Delete
  12. I love reading your blog, I followed your old blog too. I rarely comment on any blogs, partly time and also not knowing what to say. I'd be very happy if I could follow your new one. I do so agree that it is possible to be very happy with just simple things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting today, it's really appreciated. Hopefully I will be able to keep both blogs active, this one with it's usual 'here, there and everywhere' type posts and the new one all about my rationing and food.

      Simplicity is the best isn't it, it's like an instant weight lifted off your mind once you get into the lifestyle.

      Delete
  13. I am very much looking forward to reading your rationing blog. I am toying with the idea myself - but husband is not at all keen! Hx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt Alan would be keen to do it permanently with me. He did join in and liked it when I did a month long ration challenge a few years ago, but that was mostly because I made him SPAM fritters a few times and he LOVED them.

      Delete
  14. What a lovely idea Two Kisses for Charley was.
    I really enjoyed reading your answers to yesterday's questions and look forward to your next blog! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It worked really well. I felt supported and thought about by so many people without the need to read long comments or other peoples 'loss' stories, which at first felt a bit selfish, but I just knew they would tip me right over the edge.

      The answers were really illuminating and very helpful. xx

      Delete
  15. I love your blog its always interesting I dont comment because others usually say the things i am thinking so i just nod and smile to myself .Looking forward to your new blog Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time I publish a blog and then read the comments, I will think of you nodding and smiling, and just occasionally saying to yourself .... 'What the bloody hell is she up to now?' ;-)

      Delete
    2. great that made me smile carol

      Delete
  16. So sorry that I missed your questions post, although I think I may have made some comments not too long ago about the rather strange routines I have around my blog reading and commenting. Anyway I think a lot of other folk would agree with me that your blog has something very appealing about it , a real connection and honesty. Long may you keep blogging:-)
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely comment Alison, thank you. xx

      Delete
  17. I too missed your post yesterday but caught up with it today and left my comment. It took a long time reading through all the many comments. I too am glad that you will be making the new blog public and look forward to reading along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I set quite a task for everyone didn't I. As soon as I realised the amount of scrolling involved I felt guilty!! But it was a very worthwhile exercise and I hope lots of people got something out of it and not just me.

      Delete
  18. I don't usually comment on any of the blogs I read. I just enjoy reading them, if I don't agree with the bloggers point I just stop reading that post and visit again another day. I don't 'follow' blogs because I don't look at my emails regularly enough. Instead I have a list of blogs that I visit some daliy, some several times a week and some only once a week depending on how frequently the blogger posts.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Following' a blog on Blogger doesn't bring it up in your emails, that is another button that I don't put on my blogs. Perhaps I should to give people the option to get emails, I think I did on my oldest blog. Thanks for commenting today. xx

      Delete
  19. i love all your blogs, i don't often comment but i always enjoy reading your news, i'm looking forward to your newest venture xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not seen your name for a while, and it's nice to see it again, thank you for commenting today. xx

      Delete
  20. I’m catching up after a few busy days. I really enjoy blogs like yours that are a glimpse of daily life. As a retiree in a rural area whose has lost my “always love” and especially through the covid isolation they have been a lifeline to folks from many different places who are finding their own ways through this challenging world. I’m still learning to live in it day by day on my own. I’ve slowly started to comment on a few blogs. I’m not a social media person and use places like Facebook only for following groups with similar quilting, sewing, cooking or art interests where I can learn and be inspired. I used to use Bloglovin to read and access favorite blogs but it became too unreliable. I’ve never understood Blogger and don’t understand how it works. If I understand what I tried to read about it today it is a site I must join and have a blog myself. I have NO desire to have a blog. I communicate with friends through email or phone or in person but have added the occasional comment to a blog to show the blogger my support. Apparently this unwillingness to have my own blog limits my access without the ability to “follow.” So be it. My inbox is already too full of ads so to add blogs would overwhelm me. Thank you for sharing and listening and my best wishes for your upcoming retirement. LouC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, blogging was a real lifeline for so many of us during the Covid times wasn't it, and especially for anyone that was on their own. This is truly a challenging world at times and you do well to steer yourself through it, taking from social media only what you can cope with. I have to say I have never really liked blogs with lots of ads popping up here there and everywhere and I have never really felt the temptation to turn blogging into a money making venture.

      Thank you for commenting today. xx

      Delete
  21. I did not know that about the web version so thank you, I am now a follower and can see your side bit 😀, very good to know ☺️ Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me a while to find out what that was too, it opens up a whole new world doesn't it. Thank you for being a Follower now. xx

      Delete
  22. Hi, like others have said I don’t comment often because I was only going to repeat what others have said. I do enjoy your blog and visit most days. I look forward to reading along on your new blog. Keep doing what you do, you bring joy to many. Take care.
    Wendy from Oz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lovely comment, thank you ... you made me blush. :-)

      Delete
  23. I know I will enjoy your rationing blog. It will so interesting, and so different from what I sort of do here.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that blogs are so varied and inspiring and yours is completely different to mine and what my new one will be ... I doubt you will be rationed on the cruise, well I really hope you won't be. :-)

      Delete
  24. Thank you for making your new blog public, so I can read it, I read your blog all the time, it’s set up on my iPad. Sandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully it will be up and running soon, I need to get myself organised. Nice to hear from you. xx

      Delete
  25. Just wanted to let you know that I have become one of your new followers! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Bless. I really appreciate that. xx

      Delete
  26. Not sure how I missed yesterday's post (and, therefore didn't comment :( ), but enjoyed reading all the comments from others. I like reading your blog(s) because you keep it real, have a good sense of humour and share the day to day of life. I comment when I can because I want you to know I appreciate your efforts. A small virtual friendship across the Pond. Wishing you all the best with your new endeavor and success in retiring a year early. Mary x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for this comment Mary. I'm glad my sometimes wacky sense of humour goes over well. :-)

      Delete
  27. A multi-tasker! I'm just an ordinary Tasker.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.