Friday 26 July 2019

Jill's Babies


We were supposed to be getting chicken free here in Wales to make lurching between our two addresses a much easier proposition ... but Jill the Lavender Pekin Bantam and Dancer our little cockerel had other ideas!!

Jill managed to successfully hatch out three of the eggs she was sitting on, they were all her own eggs so the chicks are Pekin Bantams.  The third little chick only lasted a week as she took her eyes off it and it decided to try swimming in deep water.  But raising two out of three is a good success rate for this first time Mum.

I'm purposely not naming them or getting attached ...


... not that she's letting me.  

She's very good at alerting them to any impending danger including giant humans approaching for a cuddle. I had to trap this little one to be able to pick her up for a photo


But it was worth it.  She is gorgeous as is her little black sister.  

They are about a month old now, born on or around the 20th June.  They now have lots of lovely new feathers and are well able to fly short distances.

#
Meaning that from time to time they are on the opposite side of the fence to Mum!!

Still not getting attached.

Not getting attached.

But awww ... they are cute  😉


Sue xx



13 comments:

  1. It's very hard when you're an animal lover not to get attached to any animal, so I'd say it's nigh on impossible for you, especially when they are such cute little babies! Good luck. :D x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see this 'not getting attached' thing is going to be an epic fail! They are sooo cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The way you love creatures, attachment is inevitable. They are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bless her they are cute, I love my girls I only have 3 now as one died, and boy did I cry (I'm a soppy thing) I know that we might have to get rid of them when we move, if we do it will be hard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure how one can not get attached, to be honest. They are so cute.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too love chickens, it broke my heart to rehome them when we downsized even though they went to a lovely lady and took their eglu with them,she said that we could visit them or ring to see how they were doing but i said no i wouldn't as i knew that one day i would be told one of them had gone. So in my silly little head they are still running around the trees, pecking and scratching at the ground, chattering amongst themselves and plotting against Col. Sanders and Bernard Matthews.

    ReplyDelete
  7. lOVELY PHOTOS l REMEMBER HAVING A CUDDLE OF YOUR HENS WHEN WE WERE LOOKING AFTER THINGS FOR YOU.

    Also their little calls when we went out to let them out of the hen house first thing in the morning lovely days XX

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know what you mean about getting attached. I desperately want a dog but my life couldn't cope at present. Still so warm but definitely cooler st5 this morning...best time of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So right, they are very cute.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your pictures. Those babies are so cute! I have no will power around babies.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They really are cute... I bet you get attached

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness - how cute are they!! Don't know if this not getting attached thing is really going to work. By the way, how is young Jasmine doing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as I know she's fine. She's off our land at the moment with Will's lambs as Mums and lambs needed separating for weaning for a few weeks, Ethel is with other ewes and Jasmine with the lambs she knows.

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.