Monday 15 July 2019

Monday Morning Washday Blues



I seem to have filled the garden with lavenders and purples this year.  If I was a proper flower grower I would no doubt refer to them as blues.  Whatever you call them, they are lovely.   They make me smile especially when I watch the bees and insects flitting from one gloriously open flower to another.


I filled these two wooden planters up yesterday with plants bought from the car boot sale.  A tray of nine Dahlias  and six pots of plants for a grand total of £3.  You can't go wrong at that price can you, and it's nice to support small growers rather than the big garden centres for a change.

  Although I wasn't feeling quite as supportive when I spotted the biggest, fattest, slimiest slug ever lurking between the compartments of the tray of Dahlias.  Plants planted, slug pellets sprinkled ... just to be on the safe side!

Amongst my new plants are a mix of purples, whites and the yellow Dahlias, and three lovely green trailing plants currently just wedged in their little pots into the tall trellis.  I'll have to see about a lightweight planter or two for them ... although I don't really want to go out and buy anything so I'm going to have a bit of a look around the Van and see what I can find that could be attached to the trellis.


This morning I've gone a bit old school, washing my weekend clothes by hand, along with a new to me shirt bought at the car boot sale for £2. 

 The task of standing at the kitchen sink washing clothes is something I did for years when my boys were small.  No washing machine and eight terry nappies, along with the previous days clothes for four people kept me busy for hours, in comparison a few tops, a bit of underwear and a pair of jeans is simplicity itself. 

And immersing your hands in cool rinsing water is bliss on a hot day.


Sue xx



14 comments:

  1. I did some hand washing this morning too as I'd got a mark on a tee shirt, goodness knows where from but it needed some extra brut force to get it out. The garden is looking lovely, plant bargains indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wash day here as well, though I do have a bit more than you. Love the clothes line you have. It is perfect for just a few items.

    Great bargain on the plants.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Officially we are not allowed clothes lines here at the caravan park ... but I have a hook in place next to the shed and have been known to sneak one out. Luckily it is very hot here today so although things are a tad crammed together on the drying rack they should do okay.

      Delete
  3. When I moved into my first home as a single mum of one I did all my washing by hand for eight months usually in the bath and I had an old electric spinner set up on the landing. Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did all the big stuff and in the bath, bath towels, bedding, duvets etc. It was when my youngest was about two that I finally got a washing machine. I never take doing a load in the washing machine for granted 😃

      Delete
  4. Your corner garden has really grown and filled in since we last saw it. Beautiful! I've missed seeing pictures of your lovely van. I bet you feel quite relaxed when you are there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was looking a little bit sparser until I added all the colourful flowers when we buried Bella's ashes. Now it's a lot more colourful in memory of her ♥️

      Delete
  5. Your garden is beautiful. I didn't have a washing machine for the first few years of married life so big stuff was taken to the launderette once a week and the rest hand-washed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are not nearly as many launderettes as there used to be are there. There used to be one in every run of shops, I guess it's a real sign of the times. We do have one here at the Park though, so I do occasionally wash bedding, towels etc here if I need to.

      Delete
  6. Your garden is looking so lovely Sue:) I remember my Mum having to take our washing (pushing it in a pram) to the "wash house" gee I'm showing my age now:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can picture that vividly ... which shows my age too 🤣🤣

      Delete
  7. When I lived in an apartment and had to use a common laundry a few items went missing and I started using a small camp waher with a hand crank in the bathtub. Everything got clean but it is nice to have my own washer and dryer inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh that's worrying!! We are very fortunate in these times to nearly all have our own washing machines aren't we 🙂

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.