Friday 12 July 2019

So I Went to Amsterdam


While all the posts were self-publishing over last weekend I was many miles away in Amsterdam.  We booked the break before things changed.  Before trust was lost and my heart ached ... so I went.

  We travelled light, just small backpacks with a change of clothes or two and small toiletries saved from other hotel visits and ideal for taking through airport security.  And by using my favourite trick of wearing and taking all my oldest underwear and socks, all the dregs of small face creams, toothpastes and an old facecloth I was able to jettison much of what I took, helping me to feel like I was shedding an old used skin ... piece by worn out piece.

 I came back even lighter than I went away, but just as confused.

We bought one souvenir, a small clog with Forget Me Not seeds in it for my Mum.  Well I couldn't go to Holland and not buy a clog now could I. 


The rest of the time we rode in boats, we walked the streets until our feet ached soaking up the atmosphere, we sampled the foods ...


... we played 'spot the windmill'.



And marvelled at cute houses.


Then it was time to come home.  Schiphol Airport was a complete contrast to the mess, mayhem and chaos of Manchester airport.  Happy, smiley faces on all the staff, plants and trees growing everywhere and healthy snacks to be had at many places.

We arrived early and sat and read and then people watched for a while before boarding our flight home.


The only souvenirs from the holiday are a couple of single use plastic bottles that won't be single use for me, and the earphones from the boat tours we went on that we were told we could keep if we wanted to ... happily they fit my tablet.

It was nice to get away ... but it's even nicer to be home here at the Van.   Although I like the idea of travel, I think I have to accept that I don't like the reality, and that this perhaps final trip abroad was done with such a heavy heart makes me unbelievably sad.   My passport will now lie gathering dust, useful as proof of ID when needed but not much use for anything else!


Sue xx



25 comments:

  1. O, now to know you were so close and yet now so far away again. Glad to have you back in blogworld again though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phew! I was wondering if you were OK. SO pleased that you had a lovely time.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting there. It wasn't that lovely 😕

      Delete
  3. It is nice to go away but I am always glad to come back home, you can still have days out and short breaks without going abroad and they can be just as nice.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Days out and short breaks in the UK are SO much better than going abroad. If I feel the need to escape I will be a lot more local in future 😀

      Delete
  4. News of people sleeping on airport floors when things go wrong has put me off traveling abroad for life, so my passport is for ID only and has been very handy for that purpose and anyway Suffolk is beautiful for short breaks and lifetime stays!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Something or someone has hurt you and I am so sorry as I love your blogs and hate to think that you are going through this. Virtual support coming your way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, there are so many lovely (and quiet!) places to visit in Britain, the hassle of airport travel is just not worth it. Better for the world too...do we REALLY need a third runway at Heathrow?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never travelled abroad. Never wanted to. Always travelled in the UK - I don't cope with stress very well and would find all the planning too much. Luckily my grown up children haven't inherited my trait - they travel worldwide without a second thought. I like the simple life too much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so sorry for the hurt that overshadowed this trip. I hope that the comforts of the van and your animals will help. Hugs from Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sorry you are hurting. I do hope it is something that you can resolve. I haven't been abroad for more than twenty years and know that I couldn't face it now. I am happy with days out instead.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice to see you again. Of course you had to buy a clog... I have a feeling that is what our eldest will be bringing either myself or Hubby back from his trip.

    I hope your heart grows less heavy as you surround yourself with the things you love.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry that your holiday was not as lovely as it should have been but here's hoping there are happy times ahead in our wonderful country. Sometimes life keeps biting us on the bum and we need to have knickers of steel, I hope you can be wearing soft frilly ones soon.Do take care, Chrissie.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Traveling is one big ballache that leaves me feeling like a criminal with all the searching. We now drive to France, taking our little dog. Much less stress.
    I do hope you find the strength you need to get you through. X

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's a shame your trip was not as happy as it should have been. I find I'm happier staying close to home these days. For me the reality of long distance travel never matches up with my expectations.
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  14. One of my favourite cities. Sad you had to visit it with such a heavy heart.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm sorry you are not feeling very happy. I love Amsterdam and my friend and I visited for a few days 3 years ago. Stansted airport was terrible on the way out due to air traffic control strike over France although thankfully our flight wasn't affected. I haven't flown since. Days out are easier.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am glad you had a nice trip but I am worried about you since something is clearly wrong. It is no one's business but yours but please know you have many friends that are very understanding and care. It is so good that you are back at the van as that seems to be the place you are most comfortable. Rest from your trip and just take one thing at a time. Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. The first time I drove a lorry abroad was to Amsterdam. Bought a street map and found the collection point in the city centre. It was scary. My passport ran out two years ago, it's the jolly old UK for me from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My passport expired a couple of years ago and trying to exist without a valid one for ID purposes is a real pain! Most systems can't seem to cope with a birth certificate and a photo ID anymore. Re the hurt, I've been there. I couldn't get past the lies and being taken for an idiot that had gone on so although it was the scariest thing I've ever done, I decided to start again. I now have my quiet little life, just my few small circle of real friends and my little house. Happiness is an illusion, contentment is all. Savannah.

    ReplyDelete
  19. There is no place like home♥ I'm like you these days Sue and find airports so stressful....travelling overseas years ago was such a breeze. Hoping now that you are back home you are feeling at peace once more♥

    ReplyDelete
  20. Didn't sound like you had a brilliant time Sue and you were obviously ready to come home. Don't blame you not going abroad again. I can't stand Manchester Airport and that puts me off completely. We all seem to be treated as 'criminals' and not 'customers'. I do hope you are OK as you seem SO sad a the moment. One day at a time - as they say time is a great healer.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The world is so wonderful! I'll travel as long as I can! I LOVE the Netherlands!!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.